Re: An open letter to Her Ladyship Kasha...

  • pitykelfin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2009
      Hi, sightsingers!

      Christian, your question is a really good one.

      There are no rules for learning sightsinging, so you should use whatever system seems to work for you. I think that the easiest way to do things, however, is to use "1" for the tonic note, no matter what key you are in. In a minor key, that will mean that "3" is lower than it is in a major key. (It might mean even weirder changes, if the song is in, for example, Dorian or Phrygian mode.) If you keep the tonic as "1", though, you remind yourself and your ear of which note is the most important in the piece. You also avoid singing lots of "6"s and "2"s and other odd numbers.

      I hope that is helpful.

      Sincerely,
      Kasha
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2009
        I really had a great time in your classes at Lilies. Thanks for teaching
        them!
        Conna