An open letter to Her Ladyship Kasha...

  • Chris Mortika
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2009
      ... regarding the sight-singing workshops you presented at Lilies:

      I've been practicing pieces, and I'm thrilled that the techniques you taught still work after Lilies!

      But I've run into some songs that are not in major keys. (For example, the key signature for Taverner's "Gloria" has one flat, but instead of leaping to F, the tonic of the major key, it spends a lot of time leaping to D and G.)

      In this case, do I stick to singing "6" on D, or do I try to get a minor "1 - 3 - 5 - 1" in my head instead?

      --Christian
    • pitykelfin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2009
        Hi, sightsingers!

        Christian, your question is a really good one.

        There are no rules for learning sightsinging, so you should use whatever system seems to work for you. I think that the easiest way to do things, however, is to use "1" for the tonic note, no matter what key you are in. In a minor key, that will mean that "3" is lower than it is in a major key. (It might mean even weirder changes, if the song is in, for example, Dorian or Phrygian mode.) If you keep the tonic as "1", though, you remind yourself and your ear of which note is the most important in the piece. You also avoid singing lots of "6"s and "2"s and other odd numbers.

        I hope that is helpful.

        Sincerely,
        Kasha
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2009
          I really had a great time in your classes at Lilies. Thanks for teaching
          them!
          Conna