Re: Music at Lilies

  • Christopher Mortika
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2009
      Good day, my brothers and sisters.

      I have a small correction to make.

      Her Ladyship Lucia wrote:
      > The first, on Monday evening is the Shattered
      > Crystal ball, led by His Excellency Master Philippe de Lyon and
      > HL Christian d'Hiver. And on Wednesday evening, we'll have the
      > Annual Lilies Ball, this year led by HL Rowan Houndskeeper and
      > yours truly.
      >
      > Both of these balls will use the same music packet. Due to copyright
      > considerations, I cannot post it for general download, but if you wish
      > to play for either of the balls, email me I will happily email you a
      > copy. (It's 6MB in size btw.)

      I regret being contrary to such a lovely person as HL Lucia, but the
      balls do not use the same music packet, at all.

      There is an enormous, twisting maze of arrangements for dance music,
      all different (as far as musicians are concerned) and all mostly
      identical sounding (to the ears of anyone dancing).  This stems from
      the way we have documentable melody lines for most dances, but very
      few full arrangements.  So various and sundry modern and SCA musicians
      have written their own.

      (I have seen nine different arrangements of "Rufty Tufty".  Which
      means that, at one point, somebody said, "We have eight versions of
      'Rufty Tufty'. Clearly, we need another."  Which is sad, because they
      all mostly sound like Rufty Tufty.)

      Virtually every SCA arrangement has been put into the public domain
      and are available on the Web.  One arranger in particular has chosen
      to retain copyright and place his work for sale rather than
      distribution.  He's perfectly justified in doing so, but that's why I
      avoided using his arrangements when announcing the music for the
      Shattered Crystal ball.  HL Lucia favors his arrangements and that's
      why she needs to send private .pdf files.

      For musicians looking to play on Monday night, I refer you to Message 1263:

      Set 1:
      Carolingian Pavan -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Arbeau/bellequ5.pdf
      Trenchmore -- (music unavailable in electronic format, but very simple)
      Hyde Park -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Playford_new/hydepark.pdf
      Amoroso -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Italian/amoroso.pdf
      Horse's Bransle -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Shawm/horse.pdf

      Set 2:
      Petit Riens -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/phaedria/PETIT_V.pdf
      Black Nag -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Playford_new/blacknag.pdf
      Official Bransle -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Arbeau/official.pdf
      Gelosia --  (Musica Subterranea edition)
      Chestnut -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Playford_new/chestnut.pdf

      Set 3:
      Pinwheel Game -- (currently under investigation)
      Heralds in Love -- (the popular Avatar 2-part arrangement)
      Black Almain -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/Stockton/black_al.pdf
      Gracca Amoroso --
      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Transcriptions/gracamor.pdf
      Ly Bens Dystonas -- http://crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/music/lybens.pdf

      In past years, the Shattered Crystal ball has best been described as a
      party, and we're hoping to make it just as fun this year.  With a
      couple of exceptions, all dances will be taught during the ball, and
      danced with enough repetitions for everyone to feel comfortable.

      --Christian d'Hiver