Lilies Monday Night "Shattered Crystal Ball"

  • Christopher Mortika
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 25, 2009
      Unto the dancers and musicians here assembled, greetings from Christian
      d'Hiver, on behalf of His Excellency Master Philippe de Lyon and myself.
      May these letters find you all in good health and happy spirits.

      In the evening of Monday, June 15th, the Barony of Shattered Crystal desires
      your company for a dance ball. At 7 of the hour, we shall begin with a
      general opportunity for people to revie dance steps and refresh their
      memories on particular choreographies. Perhaps an hour afterwards, the ball
      should begin. Be assured that each dance shall be reviewed such that tyroes
      might know the steps (save for those marked thus '*'), and that each dance
      will last long enough for novices to pass from "learning the steps" to
      "dancing".
      After each name in the list is the edition of the sheet music we will use.

      Set 1:
      Carolingian Pavan -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Arbeau/bellequ5.pdf
      Trenchmore -- (music to come)
      Hyde Park -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Playford_new/hydepark.pdf
      *Amoroso -- (music to come)
      Horse's Bransle -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Shawm/horse.pdf

      Set 2:
      Petit Riens -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/phaedria/PETIT_V.pdf
      Black Nag -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Playford_new/blacknag.pdf
      Official Bransle -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Arbeau/official.pdf
      *Gelosia -- (I'm looking to get permission to use the Musica
      Subterraneaedition)
      Chestnut -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Playford_new/chestnut.pdf

      Set 3:

      Pinagay -- [Conna, Katriana, this is the Pinwheel Dance. The only music I
      can find that matches the title is the Bransle de Pinagay at
      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/alaric/pinagay.pdf Is that the right
      music?]
      Heralds in Love -- (the popular Avatar 2-part arrangement)
      Black Almain -- http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/Stockton/black_al.pdf
      *Cascarde Gracca Amaroso --
      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Transcriptions/gracamor.pdf
      Ly Bens Dystonas -- http://crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/music/lybens.pdf

      Questions or concerns? Please see Master Philippe or myself.

      --Your servant,
      Christian d'Hiver

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2009
        Very nice set list

        Pinagay is not Pinwheel

        As Christian notes there is a Pinagay Bransle.

        The pinwheel game is the last section of the italian dance cacicao d'amore (or something like that) [the hunt of love]. The music isn't very specific though. At Belewode we used cantiga 119.

        Pinagay -- [Conna, Katriana, this is the Pinwheel Dance. The only music I
        can find that matches the title is the Bransle de Pinagay at
        http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/alaric/pinagay.pdf <http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/alaric/pinagay.pdf> Is that the right
        music?]

        .

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 26, 2009
          I thought Piantone was something different than the end of LaCaccia. Which one has the 'hunt & chase' sequence as the ending section if it is not La Caccia?

          To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 28, 2009
            Hey anyone know how to spell Pinwheel in Italian?
            Right now I'm putting it into the booklet as Pinatone but I think I'm off.

            The Lilies Ball will be using the cantiga for this dance.

            HL Rowan Houndskeeper

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 28, 2009
              I thought it was Piantone, but not real sure. On the google translator
              that translates to 'set' (piantare)

              But as least it's a word. No translation to pinwheel on that site.

              Trying to translate wheel, causes my browser to crash.

              Conrad

              Hey anyone know how to spell Pinwheel in Italian?
              Right now I'm putting it into the booklet as Pinatone but I think I'm
              off.

              The Lilies Ball will be using the cantiga for this dance.

              HL Rowan Houndskeeper
              Barony of Three Rivers, Calontir
              rowan@... <mailto:rowan%40french.toast.net>

              From: "Sauer, Michael F." <sauerm@...
              <mailto:sauerm%40missouri.edu> >
              To: <CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:CalontirDance%40yahoogroups.com> >
              Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 01:18:59 -0500
              Ball"

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 28, 2009
                http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=caccia+d%27amore&fp=aaV-kzfDWBk

                http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/negri/transcription/0143.clean.html

                with 10 minutes of searching I can't see where pinwheel or piantone came
                from.

                From: "Sauer, Michael F." <sauerm@...
                <mailto:sauerm%40missouri.edu> >
                To: <CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:CalontirDance%40yahoogroups.com> >
                Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 01:18:59 -0500

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 28, 2009
                  http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0139.clean.html

                  And I believe pinwheel comes from a description of the setup and motion

                • Rowan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 9 12:19 PM
                    Conrad - can you send me the steps/write up for the dance you taught at
                    Lilies that goes to Satarello II?

                    HL Rowan Houndskeeper

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 9 1:24 PM
                      Prendente in Gyro (tune: Salterello II [Dead Can Dance version works well]) (Master Ihon Vinson macFergus)

                      Circle of couples, as many as will(3 minimum, works best from 5 to 7).

                      Steps All salterello (hop on 4th seems to fit best), always alternate starting foot (except the transitions from D to A - A always starts on left).

                      Unless otherwise noted all figures take 1 salterello (double).

                      4 parts A, B, C, D

                      A: [holding inside hands with partner] - In, (back) out,

                      Drop hands, with R hands, ½ circle right with partner, switch hands ½ circle left

                      ½ circle right with next person, ladies face in, pick up inside hands. [Person you are currently dancing with becomes new partner]

                      B: In, convert (1/2 circle with partner, lords going back, ladies forward), out (forward),

                      Drop hands, with R hands, ½ circle right with partner, switch hands ½ circle left with partner

                      C: Hey[no hands], starting R shoulders (4 doubles) lords CCW, ladies CW (pass current partner first), pass 4 people.

                      [The 5th person is your new partner.]

                      D: ½ circle left with partner (note this completes a full circle with partner started in part B)

                      Full circle around next person [no hands] (Lords CCW, Ladies CW) with R shoulders in 2 doubles,

                      Full circle around partner (Lords CW, Ladies CCW) with L shoulders in 2 doubles,

                      Full circle around next person (Lords CCW, Ladies CW) with R shoulders in 2 doubles [this person becomes new partner]

                      Finale: In, out; honors

                      Pattern

                      A, B, C;

                      A, B. D;