Attention Musicians: Bellewode Event

  • pitykelfin
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2009
      Hello, everyone!

      I know the dancers have already discussed this, but I wanted to extend a
      formal invitation to all musicians.

      The Bellewode Symposium will take place on April 4th in Kirksville.
      There will be a handful of music classes and ball rehearsal during the
      day. In the evening, there will be a ball. We are having an open pit,
      and I want to invite you all to play with me--I would love to have
      everyone who wants to participate!

      The ball is Caroso-style, so we need to be prepared to play a large
      number of pieces. I think most people know most of these pieces
      already, so we will use the afternoon rehearsal to go over trouble
      spots. If you know ahead of time that a piece will probably give us
      some difficulty, please make note of it and let me know--if I know what
      people will want to work on, I can plan the rehearsal better. If you
      don't want to prepare all 45 pieces, just prepare the ones you like, and
      play with me on those.

      I will have music available at the event, but I would appreciate it if
      you would please bring whatever music you already have.

      Here is the finalized ball list:
      1. Amoroso (Al Cofrin)
      2. Anello (Al Cofrin)
      3. Balletto Bizzaria d'Amore (M. T. Chen)
      4. Ballo del Fiore (Kathy Van Stone/Elsbeth Anne Roth)
      5. Black Almain (Al Cofrin)
      6. Black Nag (Al Cofrin)
      7. Carolingian Pavane (Al Cofrin)
      8. Cascarda da Gracca Amorosa (Steven Hendricks)
      9. Cassandre Bransle (melody only, in GM/em)
      10. Charlotte Bransle (Russell G. Almond)
      11. Chestnut (Steven Hendricks)
      12. Confesse (Steven Hendricks)
      13. Contrapasso in Due (Dragon Scale Consort--Eric Browning)
      14. La Franchoise Nouvelle (Sion Andreas o Wynedd/Ian Engle)
      15. Gathering Peascods (Al Cofrin)
      16. Gelosia (Steven Hendricks)
      17. Grimstock (Steven Hendricks)
      18. Heart's Ease (Al Cofrin)
      19. Heralds in Love (Al Cofrin)
      20. Horses Bransle (Al Cofrin)
      21. Hyde Park (Steven Hendricks)
      22. Jenny Pluck Pears (Steven Hendricks)
      23. Lovers' Braid (I composed this for a dance Ermenrich wrote;
      it's not super-difficult)
      24. Ly Bens Distonys (Dragon Scale Consort--Eric Browning)
      25. Maltese Bransle (Al Cofrin)
      26. Montarde Bransle (Steven Hendricks)
      27. My Lady Cullen (Steven Hendricks)
      28. New New Nothing (I arranged this from Playford; it's also not
      very difficult)
      29. Nonesuch (Al Cofrin, in Am)
      30. Official Bransle (Robert Stockton)
      31. Pease Bransle (Al Cofrin)
      32. Petit Riens (Monica Cellio)
      33. Piantone (for this dance, we're using Cantiga 119 in D dorian; I
      don't know the arranger)
      34. Picking of Sticks (Al Cofrin: Lavena/Picking of Sticks in dm/DM)
      35. Queen's Alman (Al Cofrin: we can do this in Dm or Gm, whichever
      you all prefer)
      36. Quen Quer Que (Al Cofrin)
      37. Rostiboli Gioioso (John Chandler)
      38. Rufty Tufty (Al Cofrin)
      39. Scotch Cap (Steven Hendricks)
      40. Sellenger's Round (Al Cofrin)
      41. Tangle Bransle (Al Cofrin)
      42. Upon a Summer's Day (Al Cofrin)
      43. Villanelle Balletto d'Incerto (Kathy Van Stone/Elsbeth Anne
      Roth)
      44. War Bransle (Dave Rubin)
      45. Washerwoman's Bransle (Steven Hendricks)

      Thank you very much for your time and attention. I hope to see you at
      Bellewode. Please feel free to email me, to speak to me in person (I'll
      be at Coronation this weekend), or to reply to this post if you have any
      questions.

      Sincerely,
      Iia Kasha Alekseeva

      P.S. I've also had requests for Burgundian Bransle, Cuckolds All A Row,
      Half Hannigan, If All the World Were Paper, Kempp's Jeg, New Alman, and
      Parson's Farewell, but I don't have the music for any of them. If you
      would like to dance one of them (or something else), and you have a copy
      of the sheet music (even just the tune), you can bring it to the
      Bellewode event, and I will see how difficult it is to sightread. I
      personally am willing to play anything I am able to play, but I wanted
      to limit the number of pieces that everyone has to prepare, so... But!
      After the ball is over, if you want to keep dancing, I'll keep playing
      for you. :)
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 27, 2009
        Kasha

        Your willingness and dedication to help dance 'go' astound me.

      • Chris Mortika
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2009
          --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Iia Kasha Alekseeva <pitykelfin@...> wrote:

          > I've also had requests for Burgundian Bransle, Cuckolds All A Row,
          > Half Hannigan, If All the World Were Paper, Kempp's Jeg, New Alman, and
          > Parson's Farewell, but I don't have the music for any of them.

          BURGUNDIAN BRANSLE

          (There doesn't seem to be any YouTube videos of this dance or music. That's a hole we might fill…)

          David Yardley's arrangement:
          http:/sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/Del/www.sca.org.au/del/ddb/music/arbeau_burgundian_bransle_david.pdf

          Steve Hendricks' arrangement:
          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Arbeau/double.pdf

          CUCKOLDS ALL IN A ROW

          Cynnabar dancers, to what might be recorded music:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DCeMghrVaU

          Phaedria arrangement:
          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/phaedria/CUCKOLDS.pdf

          Steve Hendricks' arrangement:
          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Playford_new/cuckolds.pdf

          HALF HANNIGAN / HANNIKIN

          A snippet of some folks dancing it:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht1taPYLZps

          Phaedria's arrangement:
          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/phaedria/HALFE_H.pdf

          Steve Hendricks' arrangement:
          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Playford_new/halfhann.pdf

          IF ALL THE WORLD WERE PAPER

          Bryn Gwlad Music Guild performance (MP3):
          http://ieee.uwaterloo.ca/praetzel/mp3-cd/tod_3/13paper.mp3

          Somebody not performing for dancers:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq-2V65NyGM&feature=related

          Steve Hendricks' arrangement:
          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Playford_new/if_all.pdf

          KEMP'S JIG

          A bored guitarist:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9uXyHi08co

          Here's a common arrangement for guitar:
          http://musicaviva.com/harp/music.tpl?filnavn=kemps-jig-f-hrp1

          Steve Hendricks' arrangement:
          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Playford_new/kempsjig.pdf

          NEW ALMAN
          This seems to be a very simple dance:
          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/dances/Eric/NewA.txt

          Phaedria's arrangement:
          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/phaedria/NEW_ALMA.pdf

          Alaric MacConnal's arrangement:
          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/alaric/new_al.pdf

          PARSON'S FAREWELL

          Here's what it sounds like:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKU52AI7W7g

          Facsimile of Marshal Barron's arrangement: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lod/vol1/daniparson.html

          Steve Hendricks' arrangement:
          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Playford_new/parson.pdf

          --in service
          Christian
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30, 2009
            Thanks for the info, Kasha! I think the ball sounds like it's going to be a
            lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to it.

            See everyone there!
            Conna

          • lucia_b3r
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2 3:36 PM
              Kasha, your plans for this weekend's event sound great! I'm really looking forward to both playing and attending some fantastic-sounding classes.

              I also wanted to let you folks know that I'm planning to work on- and hopefully publish the Lilies Dance & Music webpages next week. (Here's a url for last year's site so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about: http://calontir.sca.org/lilieswar/lilies22/MusicDance/cmd_home.html ) If you're planning to run any classes, please copy me on the info. (By the way, this mean *in addition to* submitting the classes to HM Arial via the on-line form.) Rowan and Christian, may I ask you for photos so people will know who to look for, for info about dance and the Monday evening ball?

              If anyone has any questions about the webpages, please look me up at the event this weekend.

              Best,
              Lucia