RE: [CalontirDance] The Bellewode Ball

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2 7:57 AM
      Caroso-style balls are a very nice and period type of dance but
      i'm not sure its the best way to go for the main and only evening dance at
      an event - especially of newer dancers. Though I do sort of like the card idea.

      By default in a caroso style ball (CSB) only one couple or set does any
      particular dance, resulting in more sitting and less dancing for most people.
      This can be mitigated by generally making every dance be of the
      'and all who would join us' type of invite. SCA people in general and college
      students in paricular seem to be more in the 'do it' than 'watch it' inclinations

      It can also make inviting a partner difficult especially with people who
      either don't know many dances or don't the nams of the dances they know.
      So either you end up asking people you know, know certian dances or there
      can be long discussions trying to figure out a mutually known dance.

      It also means its harder to teach to the ball list as its not exactly know until
      the dance is called. Plus the musicians must learn be ready with more to
      learn as well (they need to know all the dances on the pick from list - even if only
      half get danced).

      Lastly putting a new person on the spot to pick the next dance may be asking much
      - maybe the current crop is made of stronger stuff, but it would have made me nervous
      in my first year or two.

      OK even with all of that, it would stilll be interesting to incorporate this somehow.
      My 2 suggestions are to either run just one set of the ball (and not the first or last) this
      way and limit it to fewer dances - all of which are easy enough to be taught and ask
      each person to choose as their partner someone they have not danced with before and
      make all for as many as will (people, couples or sets).

      It anyone has a truly fancy performance dance they want to do this could be scheduled
      during a break.

      The other posibility would be to turn the last class period into a CSB, joining both dance tracks
      and idealy even bring the musicians into things.This could be used to train both the style of
      ball and some new dances.

      Ok so those are my thought as how to incoprorate some good ideas in a way to IMO maximize
      the fun for the largest amount of people. Its possible our biggest Caroso fan (Tsire) may disagree :)
      However you go I'll offer whatever I can do to make it the most fun for the most people.

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2 8:36 AM
        Regarding the Caroso style ball for Bellewode:

        I think the Caroso concept can be adapted to the main ball format quite well. I think Conrad's points are good but can be mitigated. The card idea is fantastic. By creating the cards, you determine the set list. A traditional Caroso ball does have a set list so musicians will not have to have a huge catalogue of music available. If you wih to do a perormance, be prepared with a music backup so as not to tax the musicians should they not wish to be taxed. If the cards had a bare bones step description on it as well it could help people choose who are unfamiliar.
        Also the host will need to be willing to guide the indecisive in thier choices. This is a great opportunity to build relationships and make new friends! Those of us who have whizbang performance dances at the ready need to be willing to do them but equally willing to choose strangers, newbies, and dances of ease for all. It is up to those of us with the familiarity of the dances and this style to set the tone and create examples of goodwill and fun in this format.
        It can be great. I'd love to see it as the primary format. I think, with attention to the possible pitfalls, and a positive attitude it can work and work well. I'm willing to help make it so.

        So excited. Bellewode will be Henry's first SCA event.

      • Matt Lagemann
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2 8:44 AM
          Henry's first event! YEAH! I can't wait to see the newest addition to the dance community. I am afraid though that he will learn to walk in doubles....

          Ermenrich

          So excited. Bellewode will be Henry's first SCA event.

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2 12:09 PM
            He seemed to be playing kick the tassel in the womb, anything is possible. ;0

            To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
            From: mlagemann@...
            Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:44:00 -0600
            Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] The Bellewode Ball