A Bit of Reporting

  • mateoalanohombrealtopezold
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
      For those of you that missed Jubilee three items in court came up that
      I thought should be repeated here:

      Lord Peter (and I apologize for not remembering the rest of his name)
      was awarded a Golden Calon Swan. For those of you who are not
      familiar with him, he plays the violin in the pit.

      Lady Lucia is now Her Ladyship Lucia after being given a Calon Lily!
      Her scroll was beautiful and the accolade well earned I think.

      And Mistress Conna was awarded a Court Baronet! Her new shiny hat has
      musical notes on it that apparently are from a song involving a
      porkchop... I must admit I am slightly confused, but I am sure she can
      explain it.

      Where would we dancers be without people like these three? An iPod
      can only get you so far.... though sometimes its batteries do last longer.

      Ermenrich
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
        Thanks to the Bellewode group for being ready with all sorts of wonderful
        food for the ball. That was a really nice gesture. Thanks for volunteering
        to do it!

        Thanks to HL Lucia, for prepping all the music packets. They sure were fun
        to use during court. ;)

        And Ingeborg, thanks for organizing everything. Heaven knows the
        cancellation was unavoidable. I hope it didn't spoil the fun of the rest of
        the day.

        And thanks to all the musicians for playing during morning and evening
        courts, and to Kasha for taking charge of evening court, and to Emelye for
        her fun improve. I know it was a crazy space to play in. Thanks to all for
        making the hike up the scary steep steps. :)

        Conna

        On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Sauer, Michael F. <sauerm@...>wrote:

        > Ingeborg - this is not the first time this has happened it won't be the
        > last.
        >
        > Its what happens to the last thing on the schedule. And in its own fashion
        > is sadly appropriate for a Calontir anniversry event :(
        >
        > Ermenrich: What dance?
        >
        > Conrad
        >
        > Recent Activity
        >
        > Visit Your Group <
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CalontirDance;_ylc=X3oDMTJkM2I0azM4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0MTY1NwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyODMEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxMjM1OTU1ODEw>
        >
        > Yahoo! News
        >
        > Fashion News <
        > http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hc2qrfo/M=493064.12016309.12445701.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126283:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1235963010/L=/B=RkF9C0PDhEg-/J=1235955810139297/K=qclvB5VQlk_uCmt6CJTNDQ/A=3848621/R=0/SIG=12u6o6g3h/*http://news.yahoo.com/i/1597;_ylt=A9FJqa5Gxa5E2jgAYQKVEhkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA2MnU4czRtBHNlYwNzbg-->
        >

        > What's the word on
        >
        > fashion and style?
        >
        > Biz Resources
        >
        > Y! Small Business <
        > http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hbt83u6/M=493064.12016255.12445662.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126283:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1235963010/L=/B=R0F9C0PDhEg-/J=1235955810139297/K=qclvB5VQlk_uCmt6CJTNDQ/A=4025321/R=0/SIG=12a352npd/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44092/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index>
        >

        > Articles, tools,
        >
        > forms, and more.
        >
        > John McEnroe
        >
        > on Yahoo! Groups <
        > http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14h6tle4p/M=493064.12016283.12445687.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126283:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1235963010/L=/B=SEF9C0PDhEg-/J=1235955810139297/K=qclvB5VQlk_uCmt6CJTNDQ/A=5202321/R=0/SIG=11aijbghb/*http://new.groups.yahoo.com/allbrangroup>
        >

        > Join him for the
        >
        > 10 Day Challenge.
        >
        > .

      • Katriana
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
          Her Excellency still speaks to us lowly peasants!!!

          We are all duly honored, your Excellency, by this mark of your regard!

          :-)

          Congratulations, btw!

          --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, "Carol O'Connell"

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
            Caroso-style balls are a very nice and period type of dance but
            i'm not sure its the best way to go for the main and only evening dance at
            an event - especially of newer dancers. Though I do sort of like the card idea.

            By default in a caroso style ball (CSB) only one couple or set does any
            particular dance, resulting in more sitting and less dancing for most people.
            This can be mitigated by generally making every dance be of the
            'and all who would join us' type of invite. SCA people in general and college
            students in paricular seem to be more in the 'do it' than 'watch it' inclinations

            It can also make inviting a partner difficult especially with people who
            either don't know many dances or don't the nams of the dances they know.
            So either you end up asking people you know, know certian dances or there
            can be long discussions trying to figure out a mutually known dance.

            It also means its harder to teach to the ball list as its not exactly know until
            the dance is called. Plus the musicians must learn be ready with more to
            learn as well (they need to know all the dances on the pick from list - even if only
            half get danced).

            Lastly putting a new person on the spot to pick the next dance may be asking much
            - maybe the current crop is made of stronger stuff, but it would have made me nervous
            in my first year or two.

            OK even with all of that, it would stilll be interesting to incorporate this somehow.
            My 2 suggestions are to either run just one set of the ball (and not the first or last) this
            way and limit it to fewer dances - all of which are easy enough to be taught and ask
            each person to choose as their partner someone they have not danced with before and
            make all for as many as will (people, couples or sets).

            It anyone has a truly fancy performance dance they want to do this could be scheduled
            during a break.

            The other posibility would be to turn the last class period into a CSB, joining both dance tracks
            and idealy even bring the musicians into things.This could be used to train both the style of
            ball and some new dances.

            Ok so those are my thought as how to incoprorate some good ideas in a way to IMO maximize
            the fun for the largest amount of people. Its possible our biggest Caroso fan (Tsire) may disagree :)
            However you go I'll offer whatever I can do to make it the most fun for the most people.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
              Regarding the Caroso style ball for Bellewode:

              I think the Caroso concept can be adapted to the main ball format quite well. I think Conrad's points are good but can be mitigated. The card idea is fantastic. By creating the cards, you determine the set list. A traditional Caroso ball does have a set list so musicians will not have to have a huge catalogue of music available. If you wih to do a perormance, be prepared with a music backup so as not to tax the musicians should they not wish to be taxed. If the cards had a bare bones step description on it as well it could help people choose who are unfamiliar.
              Also the host will need to be willing to guide the indecisive in thier choices. This is a great opportunity to build relationships and make new friends! Those of us who have whizbang performance dances at the ready need to be willing to do them but equally willing to choose strangers, newbies, and dances of ease for all. It is up to those of us with the familiarity of the dances and this style to set the tone and create examples of goodwill and fun in this format.
              It can be great. I'd love to see it as the primary format. I think, with attention to the possible pitfalls, and a positive attitude it can work and work well. I'm willing to help make it so.

              So excited. Bellewode will be Henry's first SCA event.

            • Matt Lagemann
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                Henry's first event! YEAH! I can't wait to see the newest addition to the dance community. I am afraid though that he will learn to walk in doubles....

                Ermenrich

                So excited. Bellewode will be Henry's first SCA event.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                  He seemed to be playing kick the tassel in the womb, anything is possible. ;0

                  To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mlagemann@...
                  Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:44:00 -0600
                  Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] The Bellewode Ball