RE: [CalontirDance] Re: Ball Non-Report: Calontir 25th Anniversary Jubilee

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
      Ingeborg - this is not the first time this has happened it won't be the last.

      Its what happens to the last thing on the schedule. And in its own fashion is sadly appropriate for a Calontir anniversry event :(

      Ermenrich: What dance?

      Conrad

      Recent Activity

      Yahoo! News

      Fashion News <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hc2qrfo/M=493064.12016309.12445701.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126283:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1235963010/L=/B=RkF9C0PDhEg-/J=1235955810139297/K=qclvB5VQlk_uCmt6CJTNDQ/A=3848621/R=0/SIG=12u6o6g3h/*http://news.yahoo.com/i/1597;_ylt=A9FJqa5Gxa5E2jgAYQKVEhkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA2MnU4czRtBHNlYwNzbg-->

      What's the word on

      fashion and style?

      Biz Resources

      Y! Small Business <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hbt83u6/M=493064.12016255.12445662.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126283:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1235963010/L=/B=R0F9C0PDhEg-/J=1235955810139297/K=qclvB5VQlk_uCmt6CJTNDQ/A=4025321/R=0/SIG=12a352npd/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44092/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index>

      Articles, tools,

      forms, and more.

      John McEnroe

      Join him for the

      10 Day Challenge.

      .

    • mateoalanohombrealtopezold
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
        To answer Conrad's question, the dance that Ingeborg taught me was
        Ballo del Fiore. Just the idea of the flower and the scuttling around
        the room seemed very cute and fun.

        Bellewode is planning a Caroso Style ball and we want your input (that
        means everyone). We hope to use this as a learning tool in the
        following way: The current plan is to have each dance on a card,
        pinned to a board. The card will list the dance's name, its origin
        (i.e. French c. 1500, NOT PERIOD, or SCA invention of period
        technique), and its formation (round for as many as will, three people
        in a line, etc.). A dancer will then pick their dance, announce it,
        invite whoever they want to dance it and hand the card over to the
        musicians. If people need it to be taught, we will do it at that
        time. So dances could involve everyone in the room doing an old
        favorite or a perfect time for someone to show off something fancy and
        complicated and allowing everyone else to watch. Of course I am not a
        mind reader, so if you have a performance dance you would like to do,
        let me know and I will add it to the list of dances and we will make
        sure the musicians have the music ahead of time.

        I hope that this can be used as a great new learning tool and give the
        Bellewode Ball a bit of variety.

        Sincerely,
        Ermenrich
      • mateoalanohombrealtopezold
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
          For those of you that missed Jubilee three items in court came up that
          I thought should be repeated here:

          Lord Peter (and I apologize for not remembering the rest of his name)
          was awarded a Golden Calon Swan. For those of you who are not
          familiar with him, he plays the violin in the pit.

          Lady Lucia is now Her Ladyship Lucia after being given a Calon Lily!
          Her scroll was beautiful and the accolade well earned I think.

          And Mistress Conna was awarded a Court Baronet! Her new shiny hat has
          musical notes on it that apparently are from a song involving a
          porkchop... I must admit I am slightly confused, but I am sure she can
          explain it.

          Where would we dancers be without people like these three? An iPod
          can only get you so far.... though sometimes its batteries do last longer.

          Ermenrich
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
            Thanks to the Bellewode group for being ready with all sorts of wonderful
            food for the ball. That was a really nice gesture. Thanks for volunteering
            to do it!

            Thanks to HL Lucia, for prepping all the music packets. They sure were fun
            to use during court. ;)

            And Ingeborg, thanks for organizing everything. Heaven knows the
            cancellation was unavoidable. I hope it didn't spoil the fun of the rest of
            the day.

            And thanks to all the musicians for playing during morning and evening
            courts, and to Kasha for taking charge of evening court, and to Emelye for
            her fun improve. I know it was a crazy space to play in. Thanks to all for
            making the hike up the scary steep steps. :)

            Conna

            On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Sauer, Michael F. <sauerm@...>wrote:

            > Ingeborg - this is not the first time this has happened it won't be the
            > last.
            >
            > Its what happens to the last thing on the schedule. And in its own fashion
            > is sadly appropriate for a Calontir anniversry event :(
            >
            > Ermenrich: What dance?
            >
            > Conrad
            >
            > Recent Activity
            >
            > Visit Your Group <
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CalontirDance;_ylc=X3oDMTJkM2I0azM4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0MTY1NwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyODMEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxMjM1OTU1ODEw>
            >
            > Yahoo! News
            >
            > Fashion News <
            > http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hc2qrfo/M=493064.12016309.12445701.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126283:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1235963010/L=/B=RkF9C0PDhEg-/J=1235955810139297/K=qclvB5VQlk_uCmt6CJTNDQ/A=3848621/R=0/SIG=12u6o6g3h/*http://news.yahoo.com/i/1597;_ylt=A9FJqa5Gxa5E2jgAYQKVEhkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA2MnU4czRtBHNlYwNzbg-->
            >

            > What's the word on
            >
            > fashion and style?
            >
            > Biz Resources
            >
            > Y! Small Business <
            > http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hbt83u6/M=493064.12016255.12445662.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126283:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1235963010/L=/B=R0F9C0PDhEg-/J=1235955810139297/K=qclvB5VQlk_uCmt6CJTNDQ/A=4025321/R=0/SIG=12a352npd/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44092/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index>
            >

            > Articles, tools,
            >
            > forms, and more.
            >
            > John McEnroe
            >
            > on Yahoo! Groups <
            > http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14h6tle4p/M=493064.12016283.12445687.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126283:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1235963010/L=/B=SEF9C0PDhEg-/J=1235955810139297/K=qclvB5VQlk_uCmt6CJTNDQ/A=5202321/R=0/SIG=11aijbghb/*http://new.groups.yahoo.com/allbrangroup>
            >

            > Join him for the
            >
            > 10 Day Challenge.
            >
            > .

          • Katriana
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
              Her Excellency still speaks to us lowly peasants!!!

              We are all duly honored, your Excellency, by this mark of your regard!

              :-)

              Congratulations, btw!

              --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, "Carol O'Connell"

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                Caroso-style balls are a very nice and period type of dance but
                i'm not sure its the best way to go for the main and only evening dance at
                an event - especially of newer dancers. Though I do sort of like the card idea.

                By default in a caroso style ball (CSB) only one couple or set does any
                particular dance, resulting in more sitting and less dancing for most people.
                This can be mitigated by generally making every dance be of the
                'and all who would join us' type of invite. SCA people in general and college
                students in paricular seem to be more in the 'do it' than 'watch it' inclinations

                It can also make inviting a partner difficult especially with people who
                either don't know many dances or don't the nams of the dances they know.
                So either you end up asking people you know, know certian dances or there
                can be long discussions trying to figure out a mutually known dance.

                It also means its harder to teach to the ball list as its not exactly know until
                the dance is called. Plus the musicians must learn be ready with more to
                learn as well (they need to know all the dances on the pick from list - even if only
                half get danced).

                Lastly putting a new person on the spot to pick the next dance may be asking much
                - maybe the current crop is made of stronger stuff, but it would have made me nervous
                in my first year or two.

                OK even with all of that, it would stilll be interesting to incorporate this somehow.
                My 2 suggestions are to either run just one set of the ball (and not the first or last) this
                way and limit it to fewer dances - all of which are easy enough to be taught and ask
                each person to choose as their partner someone they have not danced with before and
                make all for as many as will (people, couples or sets).

                It anyone has a truly fancy performance dance they want to do this could be scheduled
                during a break.

                The other posibility would be to turn the last class period into a CSB, joining both dance tracks
                and idealy even bring the musicians into things.This could be used to train both the style of
                ball and some new dances.

                Ok so those are my thought as how to incoprorate some good ideas in a way to IMO maximize
                the fun for the largest amount of people. Its possible our biggest Caroso fan (Tsire) may disagree :)
                However you go I'll offer whatever I can do to make it the most fun for the most people.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Regarding the Caroso style ball for Bellewode:

                  I think the Caroso concept can be adapted to the main ball format quite well. I think Conrad's points are good but can be mitigated. The card idea is fantastic. By creating the cards, you determine the set list. A traditional Caroso ball does have a set list so musicians will not have to have a huge catalogue of music available. If you wih to do a perormance, be prepared with a music backup so as not to tax the musicians should they not wish to be taxed. If the cards had a bare bones step description on it as well it could help people choose who are unfamiliar.
                  Also the host will need to be willing to guide the indecisive in thier choices. This is a great opportunity to build relationships and make new friends! Those of us who have whizbang performance dances at the ready need to be willing to do them but equally willing to choose strangers, newbies, and dances of ease for all. It is up to those of us with the familiarity of the dances and this style to set the tone and create examples of goodwill and fun in this format.
                  It can be great. I'd love to see it as the primary format. I think, with attention to the possible pitfalls, and a positive attitude it can work and work well. I'm willing to help make it so.

                  So excited. Bellewode will be Henry's first SCA event.

                • Matt Lagemann
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                    Henry's first event! YEAH! I can't wait to see the newest addition to the dance community. I am afraid though that he will learn to walk in doubles....

                    Ermenrich

                    So excited. Bellewode will be Henry's first SCA event.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                      He seemed to be playing kick the tassel in the womb, anything is possible. ;0

                      To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
                      From: mlagemann@...
                      Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:44:00 -0600
                      Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] The Bellewode Ball