RE: [CalontirDance] Re: Ball Non-Report: Calontir 25th Anniversary Jubilee

  • Matt Lagemann
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
      Ingeborg,

      Don't be sorry. The ball was canceled, IMHO, for good reasons. Did I want to dance? Heck ya! Bellewode prepared food and was ready to do it.... when it was scheduled. This was completely out of your hands. Court was wonderful, but it went long and the feast HAD to happen. Site was scheduled to close at 10:00 and many, including myself, realized that there was no time for the ball given this constraint. Bellewode still had fun and our new members are looking forward to the ball on April 4th with even greater anticipation given the classes they took. I myself learned a new dance that now MUST go on Bellewode's Ball List. Space and time were limited and NOTHING you could have done would have changed that (unless you have a time machine).

      Sincerely
      Lord Ermenrich von Duidburg
      Seneschal, College of Bellewode
      Order of the Torse
      Order of the Golden Calon Swan
      Persuivant at Large
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
        Ingeborg - this is not the first time this has happened it won't be the last.

        Its what happens to the last thing on the schedule. And in its own fashion is sadly appropriate for a Calontir anniversry event :(

        Ermenrich: What dance?

        Conrad

        Recent Activity

        Yahoo! News

        Fashion News <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hc2qrfo/M=493064.12016309.12445701.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126283:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1235963010/L=/B=RkF9C0PDhEg-/J=1235955810139297/K=qclvB5VQlk_uCmt6CJTNDQ/A=3848621/R=0/SIG=12u6o6g3h/*http://news.yahoo.com/i/1597;_ylt=A9FJqa5Gxa5E2jgAYQKVEhkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA2MnU4czRtBHNlYwNzbg-->

        What's the word on

        fashion and style?

        Biz Resources

        Y! Small Business <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hbt83u6/M=493064.12016255.12445662.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126283:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1235963010/L=/B=R0F9C0PDhEg-/J=1235955810139297/K=qclvB5VQlk_uCmt6CJTNDQ/A=4025321/R=0/SIG=12a352npd/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44092/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index>

        Articles, tools,

        forms, and more.

        John McEnroe

        Join him for the

        10 Day Challenge.

        .

      • mateoalanohombrealtopezold
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
          To answer Conrad's question, the dance that Ingeborg taught me was
          Ballo del Fiore. Just the idea of the flower and the scuttling around
          the room seemed very cute and fun.

          Bellewode is planning a Caroso Style ball and we want your input (that
          means everyone). We hope to use this as a learning tool in the
          following way: The current plan is to have each dance on a card,
          pinned to a board. The card will list the dance's name, its origin
          (i.e. French c. 1500, NOT PERIOD, or SCA invention of period
          technique), and its formation (round for as many as will, three people
          in a line, etc.). A dancer will then pick their dance, announce it,
          invite whoever they want to dance it and hand the card over to the
          musicians. If people need it to be taught, we will do it at that
          time. So dances could involve everyone in the room doing an old
          favorite or a perfect time for someone to show off something fancy and
          complicated and allowing everyone else to watch. Of course I am not a
          mind reader, so if you have a performance dance you would like to do,
          let me know and I will add it to the list of dances and we will make
          sure the musicians have the music ahead of time.

          I hope that this can be used as a great new learning tool and give the
          Bellewode Ball a bit of variety.

          Sincerely,
          Ermenrich
        • mateoalanohombrealtopezold
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
            For those of you that missed Jubilee three items in court came up that
            I thought should be repeated here:

            Lord Peter (and I apologize for not remembering the rest of his name)
            was awarded a Golden Calon Swan. For those of you who are not
            familiar with him, he plays the violin in the pit.

            Lady Lucia is now Her Ladyship Lucia after being given a Calon Lily!
            Her scroll was beautiful and the accolade well earned I think.

            And Mistress Conna was awarded a Court Baronet! Her new shiny hat has
            musical notes on it that apparently are from a song involving a
            porkchop... I must admit I am slightly confused, but I am sure she can
            explain it.

            Where would we dancers be without people like these three? An iPod
            can only get you so far.... though sometimes its batteries do last longer.

            Ermenrich
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
              Thanks to the Bellewode group for being ready with all sorts of wonderful
              food for the ball. That was a really nice gesture. Thanks for volunteering
              to do it!

              Thanks to HL Lucia, for prepping all the music packets. They sure were fun
              to use during court. ;)

              And Ingeborg, thanks for organizing everything. Heaven knows the
              cancellation was unavoidable. I hope it didn't spoil the fun of the rest of
              the day.

              And thanks to all the musicians for playing during morning and evening
              courts, and to Kasha for taking charge of evening court, and to Emelye for
              her fun improve. I know it was a crazy space to play in. Thanks to all for
              making the hike up the scary steep steps. :)

              Conna

              On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Sauer, Michael F. <sauerm@...>wrote:

              > Ingeborg - this is not the first time this has happened it won't be the
              > last.
              >
              > Its what happens to the last thing on the schedule. And in its own fashion
              > is sadly appropriate for a Calontir anniversry event :(
              >
              > Ermenrich: What dance?
              >
              > Conrad
              >
              > Recent Activity
              >
              > Visit Your Group <
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CalontirDance;_ylc=X3oDMTJkM2I0azM4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0MTY1NwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyODMEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxMjM1OTU1ODEw>
              >
              > Yahoo! News
              >
              > Fashion News <
              > http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hc2qrfo/M=493064.12016309.12445701.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126283:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1235963010/L=/B=RkF9C0PDhEg-/J=1235955810139297/K=qclvB5VQlk_uCmt6CJTNDQ/A=3848621/R=0/SIG=12u6o6g3h/*http://news.yahoo.com/i/1597;_ylt=A9FJqa5Gxa5E2jgAYQKVEhkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA2MnU4czRtBHNlYwNzbg-->
              >

              > What's the word on
              >
              > fashion and style?
              >
              > Biz Resources
              >
              > Y! Small Business <
              > http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14hbt83u6/M=493064.12016255.12445662.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126283:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1235963010/L=/B=R0F9C0PDhEg-/J=1235955810139297/K=qclvB5VQlk_uCmt6CJTNDQ/A=4025321/R=0/SIG=12a352npd/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44092/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index>
              >

              > Articles, tools,
              >
              > forms, and more.
              >
              > John McEnroe
              >
              > on Yahoo! Groups <
              > http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14h6tle4p/M=493064.12016283.12445687.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126283:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1235963010/L=/B=SEF9C0PDhEg-/J=1235955810139297/K=qclvB5VQlk_uCmt6CJTNDQ/A=5202321/R=0/SIG=11aijbghb/*http://new.groups.yahoo.com/allbrangroup>
              >

              > Join him for the
              >
              > 10 Day Challenge.
              >
              > .

            • Katriana
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
                Her Excellency still speaks to us lowly peasants!!!

                We are all duly honored, your Excellency, by this mark of your regard!

                :-)

                Congratulations, btw!

                --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, "Carol O'Connell"

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Caroso-style balls are a very nice and period type of dance but
                  i'm not sure its the best way to go for the main and only evening dance at
                  an event - especially of newer dancers. Though I do sort of like the card idea.

                  By default in a caroso style ball (CSB) only one couple or set does any
                  particular dance, resulting in more sitting and less dancing for most people.
                  This can be mitigated by generally making every dance be of the
                  'and all who would join us' type of invite. SCA people in general and college
                  students in paricular seem to be more in the 'do it' than 'watch it' inclinations

                  It can also make inviting a partner difficult especially with people who
                  either don't know many dances or don't the nams of the dances they know.
                  So either you end up asking people you know, know certian dances or there
                  can be long discussions trying to figure out a mutually known dance.

                  It also means its harder to teach to the ball list as its not exactly know until
                  the dance is called. Plus the musicians must learn be ready with more to
                  learn as well (they need to know all the dances on the pick from list - even if only
                  half get danced).

                  Lastly putting a new person on the spot to pick the next dance may be asking much
                  - maybe the current crop is made of stronger stuff, but it would have made me nervous
                  in my first year or two.

                  OK even with all of that, it would stilll be interesting to incorporate this somehow.
                  My 2 suggestions are to either run just one set of the ball (and not the first or last) this
                  way and limit it to fewer dances - all of which are easy enough to be taught and ask
                  each person to choose as their partner someone they have not danced with before and
                  make all for as many as will (people, couples or sets).

                  It anyone has a truly fancy performance dance they want to do this could be scheduled
                  during a break.

                  The other posibility would be to turn the last class period into a CSB, joining both dance tracks
                  and idealy even bring the musicians into things.This could be used to train both the style of
                  ball and some new dances.

                  Ok so those are my thought as how to incoprorate some good ideas in a way to IMO maximize
                  the fun for the largest amount of people. Its possible our biggest Caroso fan (Tsire) may disagree :)
                  However you go I'll offer whatever I can do to make it the most fun for the most people.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                    Regarding the Caroso style ball for Bellewode:

                    I think the Caroso concept can be adapted to the main ball format quite well. I think Conrad's points are good but can be mitigated. The card idea is fantastic. By creating the cards, you determine the set list. A traditional Caroso ball does have a set list so musicians will not have to have a huge catalogue of music available. If you wih to do a perormance, be prepared with a music backup so as not to tax the musicians should they not wish to be taxed. If the cards had a bare bones step description on it as well it could help people choose who are unfamiliar.
                    Also the host will need to be willing to guide the indecisive in thier choices. This is a great opportunity to build relationships and make new friends! Those of us who have whizbang performance dances at the ready need to be willing to do them but equally willing to choose strangers, newbies, and dances of ease for all. It is up to those of us with the familiarity of the dances and this style to set the tone and create examples of goodwill and fun in this format.
                    It can be great. I'd love to see it as the primary format. I think, with attention to the possible pitfalls, and a positive attitude it can work and work well. I'm willing to help make it so.

                    So excited. Bellewode will be Henry's first SCA event.

                  • Matt Lagemann
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                      Henry's first event! YEAH! I can't wait to see the newest addition to the dance community. I am afraid though that he will learn to walk in doubles....

                      Ermenrich

                      So excited. Bellewode will be Henry's first SCA event.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                        He seemed to be playing kick the tassel in the womb, anything is possible. ;0

                        To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
                        From: mlagemann@...
                        Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:44:00 -0600
                        Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] The Bellewode Ball