A snippet or two of doggerel

  • Chris Mortika
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2009
      My favorite on-line dictionary is the OEDILF, the "omnificent
      English dictionary in limerick form". Every entry is a limerick
      using the word and often actually defining it.

      This morning I ran across:

      My favourite composer is Byrd,
      Which some may find faintly absurd
      In this day and age
      When hip-hop's the rage,
      But it's Byrd-song I've always preferred.

      The odd discord can sometimes be heard
      In the music of William Byrd.
      The question, it seems:
      'Was that clash in my dreams,
      Or was William true to his word?'

      The second limerick has the postscript:

      "William Byrd (1539–1623) was one of the foremost Renaissance
      composers. While expertly using the rules of harmony and
      counterpoint, he also added surprising and stunningly
      beautiful 'clashes' to his compositions. These would often be in the
      form of two adjacent notes momentarily coinciding in two vocal or
      instrumental parts. While each note would be technically correct in
      the context of its own line, the two together would form that
      delicious 'clash': in music harmony this is called a false relation.
      So, in his music he stuck to his word, writing unexpected harmonies,
      but in a correct way, that a lesser composer would have balked at.

      "Byrd also stuck to his own 'truth' and principles in his personal
      life. Despite living under a Protestant monarch (Elizabeth I), he
      upheld his Catholic beliefs at a time when it was life-threatening
      to do so, and additionally managed to flourish under Elizabeth's
      patronage."

      www.oedilf.com -- because you haven't wasted enough time today.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 19, 2009
        hey there Bellwode organizers
        Sorry for the delay in responding but I would be willing to teach Cascarde (16th C. italian) and Buffens. I can be pursuaded to resurect Dance Jeopardy if there is interest in it. Is there anything else you feel you are missing?