Ball Report: Art of Courtly Love

  • Chris Mortika
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2009
      The shire of Dark River (Quad Cities, Illinois / Iowa) held their 30th Anniversary event this
      weekend.

      The event flyer included:

      European Dance ~ Lord Wendell will be teaching, Korabushka, Hole in the Wall, Sellingers
      Round, Horses Bransel, and official Bransel. If there is time we will do more. Dance will be
      held from 3:30p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

      He had time to teach Korabushka and Hole in the Wall.

      From 7:00 till 9:00, the event held a dance revel, Lord Wendell presiding. The dancers
      went through:
      * Official Bransle
      * Korabushka
      * Petit Riens
      * Sellenger's Round (they're used to dancing it all the ay through, twice)
      * Black Nag (again, they're used to all the way through, twice).

      In general, we used the Samuel Piper (Steve Hendricks) arrangements. (The Hendricks
      arrangement of Hole in the Wall, which we didn't get to, is notable because it's in 3/4, not
      6/8. http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Playford_new/hole_sum.pdf Some folks in
      Northshield had written a similar version, because the dancers found it easier.

      One thing I found notable was the willingness of folks who don't think of themselves as
      dance fans to come join in for a dance or two. Practically half the attendees were involved
      in at least one of the five dances.

      And, as many folks as were dancing, they had more men than women, so some of the men
      took the ladies' parts. No fuss, no jokes.

      --Christian