Ball Report: Festival of Maidens

  • Chris Mortika
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2009
      This past weekend, the Shire of Wulm Wald (Champaign-Urbana IL)
      hosted a ball at the Festival of Maidens. Mistress A was in charge
      of the dancing, and Ladies Francesca and Lucia of Musica Subterranea
      were in charge of the musicians.

      The band comprised two violins; a viola; two 'cellos; two fellows,
      both of whom were switching back and forth between hammered
      dulcimer, guitar, recorder, and percussion; a young lady on
      mandolin; two soprano recorders; and an alto recorder. Everybody
      was on their best game, and we sounded fantastic. (The university
      put two overhead mics up in front of the band, which were very
      sensitive, and helped us fill the ballroom.)

      There were many new dancers, and quite a few U of I students who
      just walked in to see what the activity was on a Saturday evening.
      So most dances needed to be taught, and tempos were a little slower
      than usual.

      The sets:
      Carolingian Pavan and Galliard
      Maltese Branle (which started slow, got a little faster, and then
      stablized; a very good plan)
      Heart's Ease
      Salterello la Regina
      Heralds in Love (the only non-Musica Subterranea arrangement;
      Avatar's)
      Scotish Branle
      Rostiboli Gioioso (for those musicians familiar with the John
      Chandler arrangement I've distributed; the Musica Subterranea
      arrangement is a bridge between it and some other arrangements.)
      Newcastle
      Horse Branle
      Gelosia (The MS arrangement shifts from 4/4 to 6/8 for the skippy
      parts, which the dancers seemed to appreciate)
      Korabushka (12 times through the dance, as I recall; again, it sped
      up, but not to an extreme)

      (a 45-minute break between sets; did I mention there was a cash bar?)

      Hole in the Wall
      Official Branle
      Upon a Summer's Day
      Gracca Amorosa
      Sellingers Round
      Petit Vriens
      Black Alman
      John Tallow's Canon
      Amoroso (the short version: part A only twice, and not repeating the
      last section)
      Jenny Pluck Pears
      Female Sailor

      The ball began around 8:30 and finished three hours later.
    • Conna
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2009
        WOW--That sounds like a terrific event!! Thanks for telling us about it.
        Conna