RE: [CalontirDance] Re: Dance at 25th Year

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 23, 2009
      Ingeborg had volunteered to run dance for this event. Please contact her regarding dance at the event.

      To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
      From: Starr.Mahoney@...
      Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:00:23 +0000
      Subject: [CalontirDance] Re: Dance at 25th Year

      Heya all,

      I just happen to have that list. (And I will be putting a music

      packet PDF together in the next couple days, and will offer to send it

      out to anyone who needs it.) Oh, and now that the William Marshal site

      is finished and live (http://threeriver.org/marshal/), I'll be doing

      one for Jubilee in the next few days...and I'd LOVE to have music info

      included on it.

      Ingeborg will be Dance Steward at Jubilee, and following is the list

      of music she provided, with the caveat that there may be a couple

      substitutions:

      Set 1:

      Official's Bransle

      Ly Bens Distonys

      Anello

      Jenny Pluck Pears

      My Lady Cullen (or Hole in the Wall instead)

      Trenchmore (Strip the Willow)

      Set 2:

      Kick the Tassel (will be danced to a brasle, title to come)

      Black Alman

      Ballo del Fiore

      Gathering Peasecods

      Amoroso (long version)

      Bransle suite: Pease, Cassandra, Scots

      Petit Riens

      Requests: starts with Korobushka (unless King leaves early, in which

      case it'll be done then.)

      extras:

      Tangle Bransle (danced to Simple Brasle)

      Horses' Bransle

      Rufty Tufty

      Heralds in Love

      Cheers,

      Lucia

      --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...>

      wrote:

      > I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not

      someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for

      the ball?

      > Ermenrich

    • Keith McClune
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
        Hi there:

        Actually, it's not bransle. Well, not exactly.

        Sauer, Michael F. wrote:
        > Well in French its actually branSle, so that might make a difference ;)

        This can be somewhat confusing. Bransle is not in my modern French dictionary,
        and a quick check in an on-line dictionary did not find it, either. I did find
        branler (to shake), which therefor seems to be the modern form (I do not claim
        that my inexpensive resources are complete, merely those convenient to me).

        Randle Cotgrave (1611) lists both spellings for the same word, however, so
        bransle may simply be an archaic spelling. More likely, given that English
        spelling in period was not standardized, this may be an alternate French
        spelling that was used interchangeably with branle in period. The meaning in
        Cotgrave is "A totter, swing, ... a shake, ... also a brawle or daunce..." For
        the verb form branler / bransler he gives "To brandle; totter; shake ... moue
        uncertainely, or inconstantly, from side to side ..."

        Arbeau uses bransle in the opening of Orchesography (p 4 verso) where he
        mentions some of the dances to be taught. In the section describing branles,
        however, he consistently uses branle (or just B.).

        Since Arbeau uses branle within all of the dance descriptions themselves, I
        always use branle in my own writing. 20th c. folk seem to prefer standardized
        spelling and sometimes complayne when I vse alternates.

        Keith / Guillaume S:}>
        Denver / Outlands