Re: Dance at 25th Year

  • lucia_b3r
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
      Heya all,

      I just happen to have that list. (And I will be putting a music
      packet PDF together in the next couple days, and will offer to send it
      out to anyone who needs it.) Oh, and now that the William Marshal site
      is finished and live (http://threeriver.org/marshal/), I'll be doing
      one for Jubilee in the next few days...and I'd LOVE to have music info
      included on it.

      Ingeborg will be Dance Steward at Jubilee, and following is the list
      of music she provided, with the caveat that there may be a couple
      substitutions:

      Set 1:

      Official's Bransle
      Ly Bens Distonys
      Anello
      Jenny Pluck Pears
      My Lady Cullen (or Hole in the Wall instead)
      Trenchmore (Strip the Willow)

      Set 2:
      Kick the Tassel (will be danced to a brasle, title to come)
      Black Alman
      Ballo del Fiore
      Gathering Peasecods
      Amoroso (long version)
      Bransle suite: Pease, Cassandra, Scots
      Petit Riens

      Requests: starts with Korobushka (unless King leaves early, in which
      case it'll be done then.)

      extras:

      Tangle Bransle (danced to Simple Brasle)
      Horses' Bransle
      Rufty Tufty
      Heralds in Love

      Cheers,
      Lucia

      --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...>
      wrote:

      > I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not
      someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for
      the ball?

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 23, 2009
        Ingeborg had volunteered to run dance for this event. Please contact her regarding dance at the event.

        To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
        From: Starr.Mahoney@...
        Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:00:23 +0000
        Subject: [CalontirDance] Re: Dance at 25th Year

        wrote:

        > I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not

        someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for

        the ball?

        > Ermenrich

      • Keith McClune
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
          Hi there:

          Actually, it's not bransle. Well, not exactly.

          Sauer, Michael F. wrote:
          > Well in French its actually branSle, so that might make a difference ;)

          This can be somewhat confusing. Bransle is not in my modern French dictionary,
          and a quick check in an on-line dictionary did not find it, either. I did find
          branler (to shake), which therefor seems to be the modern form (I do not claim
          that my inexpensive resources are complete, merely those convenient to me).

          Randle Cotgrave (1611) lists both spellings for the same word, however, so
          bransle may simply be an archaic spelling. More likely, given that English
          spelling in period was not standardized, this may be an alternate French
          spelling that was used interchangeably with branle in period. The meaning in
          Cotgrave is "A totter, swing, ... a shake, ... also a brawle or daunce..." For
          the verb form branler / bransler he gives "To brandle; totter; shake ... moue
          uncertainely, or inconstantly, from side to side ..."

          Arbeau uses bransle in the opening of Orchesography (p 4 verso) where he
          mentions some of the dances to be taught. In the section describing branles,
          however, he consistently uses branle (or just B.).

          Since Arbeau uses branle within all of the dance descriptions themselves, I
          always use branle in my own writing. 20th c. folk seem to prefer standardized
          spelling and sometimes complayne when I vse alternates.

          Keith / Guillaume S:}>
          Denver / Outlands