RE: Dance at 25th Year

  • Matt Lagemann
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
      I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for the ball?

      Ermenrich

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
        Heya all,

        I just happen to have that list. (And I will be putting a music
        packet PDF together in the next couple days, and will offer to send it
        out to anyone who needs it.) Oh, and now that the William Marshal site
        is finished and live (http://threeriver.org/marshal/), I'll be doing
        one for Jubilee in the next few days...and I'd LOVE to have music info
        included on it.

        Ingeborg will be Dance Steward at Jubilee, and following is the list
        of music she provided, with the caveat that there may be a couple
        substitutions:

        Set 1:

        Official's Bransle
        Ly Bens Distonys
        Anello
        Jenny Pluck Pears
        My Lady Cullen (or Hole in the Wall instead)
        Trenchmore (Strip the Willow)

        Set 2:
        Kick the Tassel (will be danced to a brasle, title to come)
        Black Alman
        Ballo del Fiore
        Gathering Peasecods
        Amoroso (long version)
        Bransle suite: Pease, Cassandra, Scots
        Petit Riens

        Requests: starts with Korobushka (unless King leaves early, in which
        case it'll be done then.)

        extras:

        Tangle Bransle (danced to Simple Brasle)
        Horses' Bransle
        Rufty Tufty
        Heralds in Love

        Cheers,
        Lucia

        --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...>

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 23, 2009
          Ingeborg had volunteered to run dance for this event. Please contact her regarding dance at the event.

          To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
          From: Starr.Mahoney@...
          Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:00:23 +0000
          Subject: [CalontirDance] Re: Dance at 25th Year

          wrote:

          > I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not

          someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for

          the ball?

          > Ermenrich

        • Keith McClune
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
            Hi there:

            Actually, it's not bransle. Well, not exactly.

            Sauer, Michael F. wrote:
            > Well in French its actually branSle, so that might make a difference ;)

            This can be somewhat confusing. Bransle is not in my modern French dictionary,
            and a quick check in an on-line dictionary did not find it, either. I did find
            branler (to shake), which therefor seems to be the modern form (I do not claim
            that my inexpensive resources are complete, merely those convenient to me).

            Randle Cotgrave (1611) lists both spellings for the same word, however, so
            bransle may simply be an archaic spelling. More likely, given that English
            spelling in period was not standardized, this may be an alternate French
            spelling that was used interchangeably with branle in period. The meaning in
            Cotgrave is "A totter, swing, ... a shake, ... also a brawle or daunce..." For
            the verb form branler / bransler he gives "To brandle; totter; shake ... moue
            uncertainely, or inconstantly, from side to side ..."

            Arbeau uses bransle in the opening of Orchesography (p 4 verso) where he
            mentions some of the dances to be taught. In the section describing branles,
            however, he consistently uses branle (or just B.).

            Since Arbeau uses branle within all of the dance descriptions themselves, I
            always use branle in my own writing. 20th c. folk seem to prefer standardized
            spelling and sometimes complayne when I vse alternates.

            Keith / Guillaume S:}>
            Denver / Outlands