Dance at 25th Year

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
      Greetings All

      The College of Bellewood is sponsoring a ball at the 25th year
      celebration event (http://threeriver.org/events.php) which will be held
      in the Barony of Three Rivers on Feb 28th

      And there just happen to have a couple of classrooms...

      Would anyone care to teach a dance class or two during the day?

      If so, please let Conde Fernando ( Fvigil@... ) know ASAP.

      Thanks

    • Matt Lagemann
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
        I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for the ball?

        Ermenrich

        ________________________________
        The College of Bellewood is sponsoring a ball at the 25th year
        celebration event (http://threeriver.org/events.php) which will be held
        in the Barony of Three Rivers on Feb 28th

        And there just happen to have a couple of classrooms...

        Would anyone care to teach a dance class or two during the day?

        If so, please let Conde Fernando ( Fvigil@...<mailto:Fvigil%40aol.com> ) know ASAP.

        Thanks

      • lucia_b3r
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
          Heya all,

          I just happen to have that list. (And I will be putting a music
          packet PDF together in the next couple days, and will offer to send it
          out to anyone who needs it.) Oh, and now that the William Marshal site
          is finished and live (http://threeriver.org/marshal/), I'll be doing
          one for Jubilee in the next few days...and I'd LOVE to have music info
          included on it.

          Ingeborg will be Dance Steward at Jubilee, and following is the list
          of music she provided, with the caveat that there may be a couple
          substitutions:

          Set 1:

          Official's Bransle
          Ly Bens Distonys
          Anello
          Jenny Pluck Pears
          My Lady Cullen (or Hole in the Wall instead)
          Trenchmore (Strip the Willow)

          Set 2:
          Kick the Tassel (will be danced to a brasle, title to come)
          Black Alman
          Ballo del Fiore
          Gathering Peasecods
          Amoroso (long version)
          Bransle suite: Pease, Cassandra, Scots
          Petit Riens

          Requests: starts with Korobushka (unless King leaves early, in which
          case it'll be done then.)

          extras:

          Tangle Bransle (danced to Simple Brasle)
          Horses' Bransle
          Rufty Tufty
          Heralds in Love

          Cheers,
          Lucia

          --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...>

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 23, 2009
            Ingeborg had volunteered to run dance for this event. Please contact her regarding dance at the event.

            To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
            From: Starr.Mahoney@...
            Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:00:23 +0000
            Subject: [CalontirDance] Re: Dance at 25th Year

            wrote:

            > I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not

            someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for

            the ball?

            > Ermenrich

          • Keith McClune
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
              Hi there:

              Actually, it's not bransle. Well, not exactly.

              Sauer, Michael F. wrote:
              > Well in French its actually branSle, so that might make a difference ;)

              This can be somewhat confusing. Bransle is not in my modern French dictionary,
              and a quick check in an on-line dictionary did not find it, either. I did find
              branler (to shake), which therefor seems to be the modern form (I do not claim
              that my inexpensive resources are complete, merely those convenient to me).

              Randle Cotgrave (1611) lists both spellings for the same word, however, so
              bransle may simply be an archaic spelling. More likely, given that English
              spelling in period was not standardized, this may be an alternate French
              spelling that was used interchangeably with branle in period. The meaning in
              Cotgrave is "A totter, swing, ... a shake, ... also a brawle or daunce..." For
              the verb form branler / bransler he gives "To brandle; totter; shake ... moue
              uncertainely, or inconstantly, from side to side ..."

              Arbeau uses bransle in the opening of Orchesography (p 4 verso) where he
              mentions some of the dances to be taught. In the section describing branles,
              however, he consistently uses branle (or just B.).

              Since Arbeau uses branle within all of the dance descriptions themselves, I
              always use branle in my own writing. 20th c. folk seem to prefer standardized
              spelling and sometimes complayne when I vse alternates.

              Keith / Guillaume S:}>
              Denver / Outlands