RE: [CalontirDance] I've got mail

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
      Well in French its actually branSle, so that might make a difference ;)

      From: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
        Greetings All

        The College of Bellewood is sponsoring a ball at the 25th year
        celebration event (http://threeriver.org/events.php) which will be held
        in the Barony of Three Rivers on Feb 28th

        And there just happen to have a couple of classrooms...

        Would anyone care to teach a dance class or two during the day?

        If so, please let Conde Fernando ( Fvigil@... ) know ASAP.

        Thanks

      • Matt Lagemann
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
          I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for the ball?

          Ermenrich

          ________________________________
          The College of Bellewood is sponsoring a ball at the 25th year
          celebration event (http://threeriver.org/events.php) which will be held
          in the Barony of Three Rivers on Feb 28th

          And there just happen to have a couple of classrooms...

          Would anyone care to teach a dance class or two during the day?

          If so, please let Conde Fernando ( Fvigil@...<mailto:Fvigil%40aol.com> ) know ASAP.

          Thanks

        • lucia_b3r
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
            Heya all,

            I just happen to have that list. (And I will be putting a music
            packet PDF together in the next couple days, and will offer to send it
            out to anyone who needs it.) Oh, and now that the William Marshal site
            is finished and live (http://threeriver.org/marshal/), I'll be doing
            one for Jubilee in the next few days...and I'd LOVE to have music info
            included on it.

            Ingeborg will be Dance Steward at Jubilee, and following is the list
            of music she provided, with the caveat that there may be a couple
            substitutions:

            Set 1:

            Official's Bransle
            Ly Bens Distonys
            Anello
            Jenny Pluck Pears
            My Lady Cullen (or Hole in the Wall instead)
            Trenchmore (Strip the Willow)

            Set 2:
            Kick the Tassel (will be danced to a brasle, title to come)
            Black Alman
            Ballo del Fiore
            Gathering Peasecods
            Amoroso (long version)
            Bransle suite: Pease, Cassandra, Scots
            Petit Riens

            Requests: starts with Korobushka (unless King leaves early, in which
            case it'll be done then.)

            extras:

            Tangle Bransle (danced to Simple Brasle)
            Horses' Bransle
            Rufty Tufty
            Heralds in Love

            Cheers,
            Lucia

            --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...>

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 23, 2009
              Ingeborg had volunteered to run dance for this event. Please contact her regarding dance at the event.

              To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
              From: Starr.Mahoney@...
              Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:00:23 +0000
              Subject: [CalontirDance] Re: Dance at 25th Year

              wrote:

              > I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not

              someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for

              the ball?

              > Ermenrich

            • Keith McClune
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
                Hi there:

                Actually, it's not bransle. Well, not exactly.

                Sauer, Michael F. wrote:
                > Well in French its actually branSle, so that might make a difference ;)

                This can be somewhat confusing. Bransle is not in my modern French dictionary,
                and a quick check in an on-line dictionary did not find it, either. I did find
                branler (to shake), which therefor seems to be the modern form (I do not claim
                that my inexpensive resources are complete, merely those convenient to me).

                Randle Cotgrave (1611) lists both spellings for the same word, however, so
                bransle may simply be an archaic spelling. More likely, given that English
                spelling in period was not standardized, this may be an alternate French
                spelling that was used interchangeably with branle in period. The meaning in
                Cotgrave is "A totter, swing, ... a shake, ... also a brawle or daunce..." For
                the verb form branler / bransler he gives "To brandle; totter; shake ... moue
                uncertainely, or inconstantly, from side to side ..."

                Arbeau uses bransle in the opening of Orchesography (p 4 verso) where he
                mentions some of the dances to be taught. In the section describing branles,
                however, he consistently uses branle (or just B.).

                Since Arbeau uses branle within all of the dance descriptions themselves, I
                always use branle in my own writing. 20th c. folk seem to prefer standardized
                spelling and sometimes complayne when I vse alternates.

                Keith / Guillaume S:}>
                Denver / Outlands