RE: [CalontirDance] I've got mail

  • Becky Buchanan
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
      Regarding your random side note, you must have done a Google Image search. I see what you mean! (-:

      Emelye

      Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...> wrote: At QP there was a miscommunication that lead to me announcing an entrants "Viking Iron Pants" entry during court. It was then pointed out that the word was supposed to be "pans" not pants. His Highness asked if Iron Pants was a new dance and I told him that it was not, but I would write one for him. I am thinking it should be a Branle.....

      Ermenrich
      (random side note.... Apparently if you search for Branle in google it will bring up... well lets just say that I am glad no student was looking at my computer when I searched for it.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
        Well in French its actually branSle, so that might make a difference ;)

        Regarding your random side note, you must have done a Google Image
        search. I see what you mean! (-:

        Emelye

        Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...
        <mailto:mlagemann%40greencity.k12.mo.us> > wrote: At QP there was a

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
          Greetings All

          The College of Bellewood is sponsoring a ball at the 25th year
          celebration event (http://threeriver.org/events.php) which will be held
          in the Barony of Three Rivers on Feb 28th

          And there just happen to have a couple of classrooms...

          Would anyone care to teach a dance class or two during the day?

          If so, please let Conde Fernando ( Fvigil@... ) know ASAP.

          Thanks

        • Matt Lagemann
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
            I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for the ball?

            Ermenrich

            ________________________________
            The College of Bellewood is sponsoring a ball at the 25th year
            celebration event (http://threeriver.org/events.php) which will be held
            in the Barony of Three Rivers on Feb 28th

            And there just happen to have a couple of classrooms...

            Would anyone care to teach a dance class or two during the day?

            If so, please let Conde Fernando ( Fvigil@...<mailto:Fvigil%40aol.com> ) know ASAP.

            Thanks

          • lucia_b3r
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
              Heya all,

              I just happen to have that list. (And I will be putting a music
              packet PDF together in the next couple days, and will offer to send it
              out to anyone who needs it.) Oh, and now that the William Marshal site
              is finished and live (http://threeriver.org/marshal/), I'll be doing
              one for Jubilee in the next few days...and I'd LOVE to have music info
              included on it.

              Ingeborg will be Dance Steward at Jubilee, and following is the list
              of music she provided, with the caveat that there may be a couple
              substitutions:

              Set 1:

              Official's Bransle
              Ly Bens Distonys
              Anello
              Jenny Pluck Pears
              My Lady Cullen (or Hole in the Wall instead)
              Trenchmore (Strip the Willow)

              Set 2:
              Kick the Tassel (will be danced to a brasle, title to come)
              Black Alman
              Ballo del Fiore
              Gathering Peasecods
              Amoroso (long version)
              Bransle suite: Pease, Cassandra, Scots
              Petit Riens

              Requests: starts with Korobushka (unless King leaves early, in which
              case it'll be done then.)

              extras:

              Tangle Bransle (danced to Simple Brasle)
              Horses' Bransle
              Rufty Tufty
              Heralds in Love

              Cheers,
              Lucia

              --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...>

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 23, 2009
                Ingeborg had volunteered to run dance for this event. Please contact her regarding dance at the event.

                To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
                From: Starr.Mahoney@...
                Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:00:23 +0000
                Subject: [CalontirDance] Re: Dance at 25th Year

                wrote:

                > I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not

                someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for

                the ball?

                > Ermenrich

              • Keith McClune
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
                  Hi there:

                  Actually, it's not bransle. Well, not exactly.

                  Sauer, Michael F. wrote:
                  > Well in French its actually branSle, so that might make a difference ;)

                  This can be somewhat confusing. Bransle is not in my modern French dictionary,
                  and a quick check in an on-line dictionary did not find it, either. I did find
                  branler (to shake), which therefor seems to be the modern form (I do not claim
                  that my inexpensive resources are complete, merely those convenient to me).

                  Randle Cotgrave (1611) lists both spellings for the same word, however, so
                  bransle may simply be an archaic spelling. More likely, given that English
                  spelling in period was not standardized, this may be an alternate French
                  spelling that was used interchangeably with branle in period. The meaning in
                  Cotgrave is "A totter, swing, ... a shake, ... also a brawle or daunce..." For
                  the verb form branler / bransler he gives "To brandle; totter; shake ... moue
                  uncertainely, or inconstantly, from side to side ..."

                  Arbeau uses bransle in the opening of Orchesography (p 4 verso) where he
                  mentions some of the dances to be taught. In the section describing branles,
                  however, he consistently uses branle (or just B.).

                  Since Arbeau uses branle within all of the dance descriptions themselves, I
                  always use branle in my own writing. 20th c. folk seem to prefer standardized
                  spelling and sometimes complayne when I vse alternates.

                  Keith / Guillaume S:}>
                  Denver / Outlands