RE: [CalontirDance] I've got mail

  • Matt Lagemann
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
      At QP there was a miscommunication that lead to me announcing an entrants "Viking Iron Pants" entry during court. It was then pointed out that the word was supposed to be "pans" not pants. His Highness asked if Iron Pants was a new dance and I told him that it was not, but I would write one for him. I am thinking it should be a Branle.....

      Ermenrich
      (random side note.... Apparently if you search for Branle in google it will bring up... well lets just say that I am glad no student was looking at my computer when I searched for it.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
        At QP there was a miscommunication that lead to me announcing an
        entrants "Viking Iron Pants" entry during court. It was then pointed out
        that the word was supposed to be "pans" not pants. His Highness asked if
        Iron Pants was a new dance and I told him that it was not, but I would
        write one for him. I am thinking it should be a Branle.....

        Ermenrich

        I was thinking some variation of 'Les Bouffons'

      • Becky Buchanan
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
          Regarding your random side note, you must have done a Google Image search. I see what you mean! (-:

          Emelye

          Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...> wrote: At QP there was a miscommunication that lead to me announcing an entrants "Viking Iron Pants" entry during court. It was then pointed out that the word was supposed to be "pans" not pants. His Highness asked if Iron Pants was a new dance and I told him that it was not, but I would write one for him. I am thinking it should be a Branle.....

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
            Well in French its actually branSle, so that might make a difference ;)

            Regarding your random side note, you must have done a Google Image
            search. I see what you mean! (-:

            Emelye

            Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...
            <mailto:mlagemann%40greencity.k12.mo.us> > wrote: At QP there was a

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
              Greetings All

              The College of Bellewood is sponsoring a ball at the 25th year
              celebration event (http://threeriver.org/events.php) which will be held
              in the Barony of Three Rivers on Feb 28th

              And there just happen to have a couple of classrooms...

              Would anyone care to teach a dance class or two during the day?

              If so, please let Conde Fernando ( Fvigil@... ) know ASAP.

              Thanks

            • Matt Lagemann
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
                I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for the ball?

                Ermenrich

                ________________________________
                The College of Bellewood is sponsoring a ball at the 25th year
                celebration event (http://threeriver.org/events.php) which will be held
                in the Barony of Three Rivers on Feb 28th

                And there just happen to have a couple of classrooms...

                Would anyone care to teach a dance class or two during the day?

                If so, please let Conde Fernando ( Fvigil@...<mailto:Fvigil%40aol.com> ) know ASAP.

                Thanks

              • lucia_b3r
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
                  Heya all,

                  I just happen to have that list. (And I will be putting a music
                  packet PDF together in the next couple days, and will offer to send it
                  out to anyone who needs it.) Oh, and now that the William Marshal site
                  is finished and live (http://threeriver.org/marshal/), I'll be doing
                  one for Jubilee in the next few days...and I'd LOVE to have music info
                  included on it.

                  Ingeborg will be Dance Steward at Jubilee, and following is the list
                  of music she provided, with the caveat that there may be a couple
                  substitutions:

                  Set 1:

                  Official's Bransle
                  Ly Bens Distonys
                  Anello
                  Jenny Pluck Pears
                  My Lady Cullen (or Hole in the Wall instead)
                  Trenchmore (Strip the Willow)

                  Set 2:
                  Kick the Tassel (will be danced to a brasle, title to come)
                  Black Alman
                  Ballo del Fiore
                  Gathering Peasecods
                  Amoroso (long version)
                  Bransle suite: Pease, Cassandra, Scots
                  Petit Riens

                  Requests: starts with Korobushka (unless King leaves early, in which
                  case it'll be done then.)

                  extras:

                  Tangle Bransle (danced to Simple Brasle)
                  Horses' Bransle
                  Rufty Tufty
                  Heralds in Love

                  Cheers,
                  Lucia

                  --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...>

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 23, 2009
                    Ingeborg had volunteered to run dance for this event. Please contact her regarding dance at the event.

                    To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
                    From: Starr.Mahoney@...
                    Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:00:23 +0000
                    Subject: [CalontirDance] Re: Dance at 25th Year

                    wrote:

                    > I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not

                    someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for

                    the ball?

                    > Ermenrich

                  • Keith McClune
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
                      Hi there:

                      Actually, it's not bransle. Well, not exactly.

                      Sauer, Michael F. wrote:
                      > Well in French its actually branSle, so that might make a difference ;)

                      This can be somewhat confusing. Bransle is not in my modern French dictionary,
                      and a quick check in an on-line dictionary did not find it, either. I did find
                      branler (to shake), which therefor seems to be the modern form (I do not claim
                      that my inexpensive resources are complete, merely those convenient to me).

                      Randle Cotgrave (1611) lists both spellings for the same word, however, so
                      bransle may simply be an archaic spelling. More likely, given that English
                      spelling in period was not standardized, this may be an alternate French
                      spelling that was used interchangeably with branle in period. The meaning in
                      Cotgrave is "A totter, swing, ... a shake, ... also a brawle or daunce..." For
                      the verb form branler / bransler he gives "To brandle; totter; shake ... moue
                      uncertainely, or inconstantly, from side to side ..."

                      Arbeau uses bransle in the opening of Orchesography (p 4 verso) where he
                      mentions some of the dances to be taught. In the section describing branles,
                      however, he consistently uses branle (or just B.).

                      Since Arbeau uses branle within all of the dance descriptions themselves, I
                      always use branle in my own writing. 20th c. folk seem to prefer standardized
                      spelling and sometimes complayne when I vse alternates.

                      Keith / Guillaume S:}>
                      Denver / Outlands