Re: [CalontirDance] I've got mail

  • Becky Buchanan
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
      "Iron Pants Dance . . . for His Highness" ???

      Interesting! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

      Emelye

      Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...> wrote: YEAH! My copy of Orchesography just came in! Now to get the Iron Pants Dance written for His Highness.

      Ermenrich

    • Matt Lagemann
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
        At QP there was a miscommunication that lead to me announcing an entrants "Viking Iron Pants" entry during court. It was then pointed out that the word was supposed to be "pans" not pants. His Highness asked if Iron Pants was a new dance and I told him that it was not, but I would write one for him. I am thinking it should be a Branle.....

        Ermenrich
        (random side note.... Apparently if you search for Branle in google it will bring up... well lets just say that I am glad no student was looking at my computer when I searched for it.

        ________________________________
        "Iron Pants Dance . . . for His Highness" ???

        Interesting! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

        Emelye

        Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...<mailto:mlagemann%40greencity.k12.mo.us>> wrote: YEAH! My copy of Orchesography just came in! Now to get the Iron Pants Dance written for His Highness.

        Ermenrich

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
          At QP there was a miscommunication that lead to me announcing an
          entrants "Viking Iron Pants" entry during court. It was then pointed out
          that the word was supposed to be "pans" not pants. His Highness asked if
          Iron Pants was a new dance and I told him that it was not, but I would
          write one for him. I am thinking it should be a Branle.....

          Ermenrich

          I was thinking some variation of 'Les Bouffons'

        • Becky Buchanan
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
            Regarding your random side note, you must have done a Google Image search. I see what you mean! (-:

            Emelye

            Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...> wrote: At QP there was a miscommunication that lead to me announcing an entrants "Viking Iron Pants" entry during court. It was then pointed out that the word was supposed to be "pans" not pants. His Highness asked if Iron Pants was a new dance and I told him that it was not, but I would write one for him. I am thinking it should be a Branle.....

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
              Well in French its actually branSle, so that might make a difference ;)

              Regarding your random side note, you must have done a Google Image
              search. I see what you mean! (-:

              Emelye

              Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...
              <mailto:mlagemann%40greencity.k12.mo.us> > wrote: At QP there was a

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
                Greetings All

                The College of Bellewood is sponsoring a ball at the 25th year
                celebration event (http://threeriver.org/events.php) which will be held
                in the Barony of Three Rivers on Feb 28th

                And there just happen to have a couple of classrooms...

                Would anyone care to teach a dance class or two during the day?

                If so, please let Conde Fernando ( Fvigil@... ) know ASAP.

                Thanks

              • Matt Lagemann
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
                  I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for the ball?

                  Ermenrich

                  ________________________________
                  The College of Bellewood is sponsoring a ball at the 25th year
                  celebration event (http://threeriver.org/events.php) which will be held
                  in the Barony of Three Rivers on Feb 28th

                  And there just happen to have a couple of classrooms...

                  Would anyone care to teach a dance class or two during the day?

                  If so, please let Conde Fernando ( Fvigil@...<mailto:Fvigil%40aol.com> ) know ASAP.

                  Thanks

                • lucia_b3r
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
                    Heya all,

                    I just happen to have that list. (And I will be putting a music
                    packet PDF together in the next couple days, and will offer to send it
                    out to anyone who needs it.) Oh, and now that the William Marshal site
                    is finished and live (http://threeriver.org/marshal/), I'll be doing
                    one for Jubilee in the next few days...and I'd LOVE to have music info
                    included on it.

                    Ingeborg will be Dance Steward at Jubilee, and following is the list
                    of music she provided, with the caveat that there may be a couple
                    substitutions:

                    Set 1:

                    Official's Bransle
                    Ly Bens Distonys
                    Anello
                    Jenny Pluck Pears
                    My Lady Cullen (or Hole in the Wall instead)
                    Trenchmore (Strip the Willow)

                    Set 2:
                    Kick the Tassel (will be danced to a brasle, title to come)
                    Black Alman
                    Ballo del Fiore
                    Gathering Peasecods
                    Amoroso (long version)
                    Bransle suite: Pease, Cassandra, Scots
                    Petit Riens

                    Requests: starts with Korobushka (unless King leaves early, in which
                    case it'll be done then.)

                    extras:

                    Tangle Bransle (danced to Simple Brasle)
                    Horses' Bransle
                    Rufty Tufty
                    Heralds in Love

                    Cheers,
                    Lucia

                    --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 23, 2009
                      Ingeborg had volunteered to run dance for this event. Please contact her regarding dance at the event.

                      To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
                      From: Starr.Mahoney@...
                      Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:00:23 +0000
                      Subject: [CalontirDance] Re: Dance at 25th Year

                      wrote:

                      > I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not

                      someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for

                      the ball?

                      > Ermenrich

                    • Keith McClune
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
                        Hi there:

                        Actually, it's not bransle. Well, not exactly.

                        Sauer, Michael F. wrote:
                        > Well in French its actually branSle, so that might make a difference ;)

                        This can be somewhat confusing. Bransle is not in my modern French dictionary,
                        and a quick check in an on-line dictionary did not find it, either. I did find
                        branler (to shake), which therefor seems to be the modern form (I do not claim
                        that my inexpensive resources are complete, merely those convenient to me).

                        Randle Cotgrave (1611) lists both spellings for the same word, however, so
                        bransle may simply be an archaic spelling. More likely, given that English
                        spelling in period was not standardized, this may be an alternate French
                        spelling that was used interchangeably with branle in period. The meaning in
                        Cotgrave is "A totter, swing, ... a shake, ... also a brawle or daunce..." For
                        the verb form branler / bransler he gives "To brandle; totter; shake ... moue
                        uncertainely, or inconstantly, from side to side ..."

                        Arbeau uses bransle in the opening of Orchesography (p 4 verso) where he
                        mentions some of the dances to be taught. In the section describing branles,
                        however, he consistently uses branle (or just B.).

                        Since Arbeau uses branle within all of the dance descriptions themselves, I
                        always use branle in my own writing. 20th c. folk seem to prefer standardized
                        spelling and sometimes complayne when I vse alternates.

                        Keith / Guillaume S:}>
                        Denver / Outlands