I've got mail

  • Matt Lagemann
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
      YEAH! My copy of Orchesography just came in! Now to get the Iron Pants Dance written for His Highness.

      Ermenrich

    • Becky Buchanan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
        "Iron Pants Dance . . . for His Highness" ???

        Interesting! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

        Emelye

        Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...> wrote: YEAH! My copy of Orchesography just came in! Now to get the Iron Pants Dance written for His Highness.

        Ermenrich

      • Matt Lagemann
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
          At QP there was a miscommunication that lead to me announcing an entrants "Viking Iron Pants" entry during court. It was then pointed out that the word was supposed to be "pans" not pants. His Highness asked if Iron Pants was a new dance and I told him that it was not, but I would write one for him. I am thinking it should be a Branle.....

          Ermenrich
          (random side note.... Apparently if you search for Branle in google it will bring up... well lets just say that I am glad no student was looking at my computer when I searched for it.

          ________________________________
          "Iron Pants Dance . . . for His Highness" ???

          Interesting! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

          Emelye

          Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...<mailto:mlagemann%40greencity.k12.mo.us>> wrote: YEAH! My copy of Orchesography just came in! Now to get the Iron Pants Dance written for His Highness.

          Ermenrich

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
            At QP there was a miscommunication that lead to me announcing an
            entrants "Viking Iron Pants" entry during court. It was then pointed out
            that the word was supposed to be "pans" not pants. His Highness asked if
            Iron Pants was a new dance and I told him that it was not, but I would
            write one for him. I am thinking it should be a Branle.....

            Ermenrich

            I was thinking some variation of 'Les Bouffons'

          • Becky Buchanan
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
              Regarding your random side note, you must have done a Google Image search. I see what you mean! (-:

              Emelye

              Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...> wrote: At QP there was a miscommunication that lead to me announcing an entrants "Viking Iron Pants" entry during court. It was then pointed out that the word was supposed to be "pans" not pants. His Highness asked if Iron Pants was a new dance and I told him that it was not, but I would write one for him. I am thinking it should be a Branle.....

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
                Well in French its actually branSle, so that might make a difference ;)

                Regarding your random side note, you must have done a Google Image
                search. I see what you mean! (-:

                Emelye

                Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...
                <mailto:mlagemann%40greencity.k12.mo.us> > wrote: At QP there was a

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
                  Greetings All

                  The College of Bellewood is sponsoring a ball at the 25th year
                  celebration event (http://threeriver.org/events.php) which will be held
                  in the Barony of Three Rivers on Feb 28th

                  And there just happen to have a couple of classrooms...

                  Would anyone care to teach a dance class or two during the day?

                  If so, please let Conde Fernando ( Fvigil@... ) know ASAP.

                  Thanks

                • Matt Lagemann
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
                    I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for the ball?

                    Ermenrich

                    ________________________________
                    The College of Bellewood is sponsoring a ball at the 25th year
                    celebration event (http://threeriver.org/events.php) which will be held
                    in the Barony of Three Rivers on Feb 28th

                    And there just happen to have a couple of classrooms...

                    Would anyone care to teach a dance class or two during the day?

                    If so, please let Conde Fernando ( Fvigil@...<mailto:Fvigil%40aol.com> ) know ASAP.

                    Thanks

                  • lucia_b3r
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 22, 2009
                      Heya all,

                      I just happen to have that list. (And I will be putting a music
                      packet PDF together in the next couple days, and will offer to send it
                      out to anyone who needs it.) Oh, and now that the William Marshal site
                      is finished and live (http://threeriver.org/marshal/), I'll be doing
                      one for Jubilee in the next few days...and I'd LOVE to have music info
                      included on it.

                      Ingeborg will be Dance Steward at Jubilee, and following is the list
                      of music she provided, with the caveat that there may be a couple
                      substitutions:

                      Set 1:

                      Official's Bransle
                      Ly Bens Distonys
                      Anello
                      Jenny Pluck Pears
                      My Lady Cullen (or Hole in the Wall instead)
                      Trenchmore (Strip the Willow)

                      Set 2:
                      Kick the Tassel (will be danced to a brasle, title to come)
                      Black Alman
                      Ballo del Fiore
                      Gathering Peasecods
                      Amoroso (long version)
                      Bransle suite: Pease, Cassandra, Scots
                      Petit Riens

                      Requests: starts with Korobushka (unless King leaves early, in which
                      case it'll be done then.)

                      extras:

                      Tangle Bransle (danced to Simple Brasle)
                      Horses' Bransle
                      Rufty Tufty
                      Heralds in Love

                      Cheers,
                      Lucia

                      --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Matt Lagemann <mlagemann@...>

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 23, 2009
                        Ingeborg had volunteered to run dance for this event. Please contact her regarding dance at the event.

                        To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
                        From: Starr.Mahoney@...
                        Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:00:23 +0000
                        Subject: [CalontirDance] Re: Dance at 25th Year

                        wrote:

                        > I am pretty sure a ball list was made, but I forget who. It was not

                        someone from Bellewode. Anyone know the dances that are planned for

                        the ball?

                        > Ermenrich

                      • Keith McClune
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 25, 2009
                          Hi there:

                          Actually, it's not bransle. Well, not exactly.

                          Sauer, Michael F. wrote:
                          > Well in French its actually branSle, so that might make a difference ;)

                          This can be somewhat confusing. Bransle is not in my modern French dictionary,
                          and a quick check in an on-line dictionary did not find it, either. I did find
                          branler (to shake), which therefor seems to be the modern form (I do not claim
                          that my inexpensive resources are complete, merely those convenient to me).

                          Randle Cotgrave (1611) lists both spellings for the same word, however, so
                          bransle may simply be an archaic spelling. More likely, given that English
                          spelling in period was not standardized, this may be an alternate French
                          spelling that was used interchangeably with branle in period. The meaning in
                          Cotgrave is "A totter, swing, ... a shake, ... also a brawle or daunce..." For
                          the verb form branler / bransler he gives "To brandle; totter; shake ... moue
                          uncertainely, or inconstantly, from side to side ..."

                          Arbeau uses bransle in the opening of Orchesography (p 4 verso) where he
                          mentions some of the dances to be taught. In the section describing branles,
                          however, he consistently uses branle (or just B.).

                          Since Arbeau uses branle within all of the dance descriptions themselves, I
                          always use branle in my own writing. 20th c. folk seem to prefer standardized
                          spelling and sometimes complayne when I vse alternates.

                          Keith / Guillaume S:}>
                          Denver / Outlands