RE: [CalontirDance] Lilies Classes

  • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
    Message 1 of 18 , May 8 4:49 PM
      >===== Original Message From CalontirDance@egroups.com =====
      >> Sounds like an experiment to me! :) Let's see...I know Conrad (hi
      >> Conrad!), Bartolo, Mistress Caitlin de Courcy, Wolfgang Adolphus
      >> Jaeger, Greg (gb)(and that's a story and a half), Master Niccolo and
      >> the people here.... I'm sure that should get us at least half-way to
      >> everyone else. ;) Heehee - the 7 degrees of -
      >> could be a great party game for Pennsic! :)
      >
      >Its more like 2 or 3. My list; Alphia, Sion, Faelen, Rosenore, Alina,
      >Rosina, Philipe, Gregory, Giuseppe, William Redcape, Guiiliam,
      >Perenell (sp?), Nicoolo, Julian, Del all the calontir people etc.

      Hmmm... how well do we need to know dance instructors for them to count?
      There
      are a few who I could probably count as people I know but wouldn't want to
      (sorry, getting catty for a moment, no one here in Calontir, thank goodness!)

      So... People I really know: Conrad, Tsire, Daria (in Calontir), Bartolo (in
      Atenvelt), Alina, Llewellyn, and the rest of the Cynnabar crew (in the
      Midrealm), Theodorin, Anne, and (briefly) Melusine (in Drachenwald). Must
      network more....

      >Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last year :)

      New year for sure. Already budgeting for a plane ticket.

      >> I have a question for y'all out there in Calontir. How have you
      >> managed to get the Italians to catch on? I remember when I was out
      >> there, we predominately did ECD and Arbeau. What things have worked
      >> for you? :) (I'm desperately searching for new things to try out
      >> here. :)
      >
      >Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
      >if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they like
      >and like what they know.

      Well, I've been blessed with very open dancers (undergrads at a very liberal
      college for the most part), but my tactic has been a) to be openly
      enthusiastic
      about what I'm going to teach b) never force anything down their throats c)
      always try to do a balance of new and old stuff (an easy repetoire dance like
      Black Alman to cement things in their heads, maybe one italian, an
      intermediate
      ECD and Posten's or something fast and fun) and c) take things very slowly.

      And unfortuantely from what I've seen, they haven't quite caught on yet.
      People
      may not run from the room when they hear the next dance is going to be Gelosia
      or something like that, but they don't exactly jump for joy like I've
      witnessed
      over Hole in the Head (oops, Wall).

      Of course I can't speak for what's going on down south.

      Katheri

      Cathy Dean Katherine Mercer
      Grinnell College Seneschal, College of NoMountain
      deanc@... Calontir
      http://home.earthlink.net/~lfdean
      Knowledge is Power; Power Corrupts; Study Hard; Be Evil
    • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
      Message 2 of 18 , May 8 4:51 PM
        >===== Original Message From CalontirDance@egroups.com =====
        >> >I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
        >> >mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
        >> >it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :)
        >>
        >> I couldn't agree more. It's one of my 'personal crusade'
        >> dances that I wish
        >> would become an SCA standard. It's also one of only two
        >> Italian dances that
        >> my
        >> (overwhelmingly open and wonderful) dancers request (the
        >> other being Petit
        >> Riens, although I'm winning them over with Dolce Amoroso Fiamma).
        >

        >I agree too, but I don't know the last one (yet).

        Soon, soon (if the music gods cooporate *laugh*).

        I think the
        >third one in my book is Gelosia. I think it helps some of the
        >ECD mindset cause it sorta looks line one (at least for a little
        >while - none of the everyone wandering all over the place.

        Oh, but that's the glory of 15th c--all of the wonderful chase stuff. Ah....

        Katherine