RE: [CalontirDance] Crystal Ball Set List Breakdown

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2008
      Merry,

      I'm glad that it gave you more insight. I feel like that's the best thing I can do as a enthusiastic educator. I'd be interested in the comparison of the music timeline to the dance timeline but that is a little bit out of my direct knowledge base and would take a bit more doing. Not to say it won't be done, just to say it may not be done right this minute.
      As far as a Tsire's preferences list goes, I think I've probably blown that horn enough in this forum. I'd be happy to detail and/or discuss them with you privately though.

      Fun Facts from the spreadsheet:
      English Country Dance makes up 29% of the list.
      Bransle, Galliard & Pavanne (Arbeau Style Dances) 22%
      Italian Dances (includes Basses since all on this ball are Italian ) 20%
      Folk & Modern 12%
      Other English Styles (Inns of Court & Gresley) 7%
      The ball spans the years 1400-today. Here's how that breaks down.
      1400-1500 14%
      1500-1600 28%
      1600-1651 30%
      >1651 28%

      Happy Dancing Everybody!
      Tsire

      To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.comFrom: Merry@...: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 00:41:35 -0500Subject: Re: [CalontirDance] Crystal Ball Set List Breakdown

      Wow.. that really puts a lot of things in.. I don't know... Context? Perspective? Something for me... leastwise it makes things much less just a dance of steps that I trip over and laugh at myself and more of a dance where I say, Ok.. this is in this style and time period and likely contains certain elements and protocols that I trip over and laugh at myself in other similar dances.Is it at all possible to break down the 'year' into dates for the music, and dates for the dance, if known, especially if it's a modern reconstruction, or if the two vary greatly.I'm slowly picking up from Master Conrad a feeling/memory for certain dances where there was ambiguity and certain decisions had to be made modernly, or where a dance seems to be made up out of whole (synthetic blend) cloth and what people's opinion on how true to the target period, region, style they are. He communicates a lot more than I actually retain. This list might really bring some of that into focus for me.I'd love to see a Tsire preferences list of tunes/dances in order of "Tsire likes and considers good doctrine and Tsire would like to see this abolished and considers it drek and thinks they were justified to break the mold and should probably have broken the mold maker's fingers and perhaps poked his eyes out as well". Feel free to choose less verbose labels for the two ends of that particular spectrum if you graph it.Hoping desperately to be in Jefferson City on Saturday. Very polite of them... since I never can seem to make it to St. Louis, they make it convenient and play in Jeff City.Tsire Tuzevo wrote:> Hi All,> > I'm an analysis nerd and felt like taking a closer look at this year's Crysal Ball set list today. I've posted a spreadsheet in the files section if you'd like to take a look. It's a fun tool to learn where each dance comes from and what it takes to do it. > > Tsire> Overthinker> __________________________________________________________> See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life.> http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093175mrt/direct/01/>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>> ------------------------------------>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>> -- // Merry----------"Merry" Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre AoA:071013 Torse:080906Shire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutreChristian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MOhttp://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'