Re: Proposal for Coronation: Comments Requested

  • Constantia/Rachel
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2008
      I also second Confesse. It's one of the lesser-known ones (isn't it?)
      and it'd be a great teaching opportunity.

      -Constantia K.

      --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, "Cathus and Rowan" <rowan@...>
      wrote:

      > Some of the more popular English Country dances we've done are
      > Confesse, Mage on a Cree, and Bobbing Jo (the 'snap and change' one).
      > :-)
      >
      > I'd wouldn't mind seeing more choices on the Coroso list. Why not ask
      > the musicians for a list of the dances that they'd be able to play if
      > asked?
      >
      > Unfortunately we're not going to be there - it looks like a great ball.
      >
      > - Cathus
      >

      > --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Wahoo, I'm glad I'm already planning to attend this one. This is
      > quite an ambitious plan and I'm excited to see it go forward.
      > >
      > > In keeping with your request for suggestions, here's my two and a
      > half cents.
      > >
      > > It may be worth asking Cathus and Rowan for some of their newer
      > English Country reconstructions, I'm blanking on the names but they're
      > quite nice. (Cathus, Rowan , Help, what's the snap and change one??)
      > >
      > > Please leave the out of period dances for the pick up dancing and
      > out of the set list. These include:
      > > Korobushka
      > > Calontir BranslePavane (which one - many are very very modern and
      > made up)Quen Quer Que (tertiary research experiment on a Cantiga
      > format- ask it's creator Sion if you'd like more info)Salterello: La
      > Regina
      > >
      > > For personal tastes I'd replace:
      > > Bella Gioioso with Villanella, Washerwomans Bransle with any
      > non-mimed bransle, and Nonesuch with a root canal.
      > >
      > > Most of all I'm just glad you're taking this on and that there will
      > be dancing at two coronations in a row. Woot!
      > >
      > > Tsire
      > >

      > > To: CalontirDance@: c.mortika@: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:46:18
      > +0000Subject: [CalontirDance] Proposal for Coronation: Comments
      Requested

      > > So, in the evening of Luther & Maerwynn's coronation, in Their Shire
      > ofDeodar, we'll be holding a dance ball.Here's what I'd like to try.
      > I'm posting this proposal here, and,based on any suggestions you folks
      > might have, I'll be disseminating amore polished announcement to a
      > wider audience on Monday or so.There are three sets, each taking about
      > an hour. Afterwards, there'llbe pick-up dancing and requests.SET
      > ONE:Set One is intended to be dance-novice friendly. People who
      > haven'tdanced (or danced much) before should be able to walk away with
      > apositive experience. We can achieve that by getting them
      > comfortableenough with a few dances that they can get past the
      > "learning stage" oftrying to remember the next steps, and actually
      > dance. This set shouldconsist mostly of well-known favorites, but it
      > might also include a newdance. All dances will be taught.* Official
      > Bransle* Black Almain* Petit Riens* Gathering Peascods* Rufty Tufty*
      > My Lady CullenSET TWO:The middle set is a "standard" dance ball. There
      > may be some newdances, but not many. Most dances will be reviewed
      > beforehand, but notall. In all, we'll probably get through about eight
      > dances.* Rostiboli Gioioso* Sellenger's Round* Picking of Sticks* Ly
      > Bens* Calontir Bransle* Heralds in Love* PiantoneSET THREE:Set Three
      > is a "Caroso-style" ball. A Caroso ball is, in some ways,the analogue
      > of a bardic circle. People take turns leading. Sometimesthe leader
      > starts a song / dance where everybody joins in, and sometimesyou'll
      > see a a piece with just a couple or two on the dance floor,
      > andeverybody else actively watching the performance. To accomodate a
      > liveband, the request list needs to be restricted to, say, 20 or so
      > dances:* Ballo di Fiore (will start)* Amoroso* Bella Gioiosa*
      > Chestnut* Gelosia* Gracca Amorosa* Heart's Ease* Korobushka* Maltese
      > Bransle* Montarde Bransle* Nonesuch* Pavane* Quen Quer Que*
      > Salterello: La Regina* Vita di Cholino* Washerwoman's BransleHelp me
      > out. What dances need to be added, or switched
      > around?--Christian[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • Chris Mortika
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2008
        --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@...> wrote:
        > In keeping with your request for suggestions, here's my two
        > and a half cents.

        Thank you for your suggestions, as well as for your enthusiasm and
        support! It would be rude of me to ask for your opinion and then
        publically disagree with it. But I'd be happy to send you a private
        note explaining why I chose some of the post-1600 dances.

        --Christian