Re: Proposal for Coronation: Comments Requested

  • Cathus and Rowan
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2008
      Some of the more popular English Country dances we've done are
      Confesse, Mage on a Cree, and Bobbing Jo (the 'snap and change' one).
      :-)

      I'd wouldn't mind seeing more choices on the Coroso list. Why not ask
      the musicians for a list of the dances that they'd be able to play if
      asked?

      Unfortunately we're not going to be there - it looks like a great ball.

      - Cathus

      --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@...> wrote:

      > Wahoo, I'm glad I'm already planning to attend this one. This is
      quite an ambitious plan and I'm excited to see it go forward.

      > In keeping with your request for suggestions, here's my two and a
      half cents.

      > It may be worth asking Cathus and Rowan for some of their newer
      English Country reconstructions, I'm blanking on the names but they're
      quite nice. (Cathus, Rowan , Help, what's the snap and change one??)

      > Please leave the out of period dances for the pick up dancing and
      out of the set list. These include:
      > Korobushka
      > Calontir BranslePavane (which one - many are very very modern and
      made up)Quen Quer Que (tertiary research experiment on a Cantiga
      format- ask it's creator Sion if you'd like more info)Salterello: La
      Regina

      > For personal tastes I'd replace:
      > Bella Gioioso with Villanella, Washerwomans Bransle with any
      non-mimed bransle, and Nonesuch with a root canal.

      > Most of all I'm just glad you're taking this on and that there will
      be dancing at two coronations in a row. Woot!

      > Tsire
      >

      > To: CalontirDance@...: c.mortika@...: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:46:18
      +0000Subject: [CalontirDance] Proposal for Coronation: Comments Requested

      > So, in the evening of Luther & Maerwynn's coronation, in Their Shire
      ofDeodar, we'll be holding a dance ball.Here's what I'd like to try.
      I'm posting this proposal here, and,based on any suggestions you folks
      might have, I'll be disseminating amore polished announcement to a
      wider audience on Monday or so.There are three sets, each taking about
      an hour. Afterwards, there'llbe pick-up dancing and requests.SET
      ONE:Set One is intended to be dance-novice friendly. People who
      haven'tdanced (or danced much) before should be able to walk away with
      apositive experience. We can achieve that by getting them
      comfortableenough with a few dances that they can get past the
      "learning stage" oftrying to remember the next steps, and actually
      dance. This set shouldconsist mostly of well-known favorites, but it
      might also include a newdance. All dances will be taught.* Official
      Bransle* Black Almain* Petit Riens* Gathering Peascods* Rufty Tufty*
      My Lady CullenSET TWO:The middle set is a "standard" dance ball. There
      may be some newdances, but not many. Most dances will be reviewed
      beforehand, but notall. In all, we'll probably get through about eight
      dances.* Rostiboli Gioioso* Sellenger's Round* Picking of Sticks* Ly
      Bens* Calontir Bransle* Heralds in Love* PiantoneSET THREE:Set Three
      is a "Caroso-style" ball. A Caroso ball is, in some ways,the analogue
      of a bardic circle. People take turns leading. Sometimesthe leader
      starts a song / dance where everybody joins in, and sometimesyou'll
      see a a piece with just a couple or two on the dance floor,
      andeverybody else actively watching the performance. To accomodate a
      liveband, the request list needs to be restricted to, say, 20 or so
      dances:* Ballo di Fiore (will start)* Amoroso* Bella Gioiosa*
      Chestnut* Gelosia* Gracca Amorosa* Heart's Ease* Korobushka* Maltese
      Bransle* Montarde Bransle* Nonesuch* Pavane* Quen Quer Que*
      Salterello: La Regina* Vita di Cholino* Washerwoman's BransleHelp me
      out. What dances need to be added, or switched
      around?--Christian[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • Constantia/Rachel
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2008
        I also second Confesse. It's one of the lesser-known ones (isn't it?)
        and it'd be a great teaching opportunity.

        -Constantia K.

        --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, "Cathus and Rowan" <rowan@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > Bens* Calontir Bransle* Heralds in Love* PiantoneSET THREE:Set Three
        > is a "Caroso-style" ball. A Caroso ball is, in some ways,the analogue
        > of a bardic circle. People take turns leading. Sometimesthe leader
        > starts a song / dance where everybody joins in, and sometimesyou'll
        > see a a piece with just a couple or two on the dance floor,
        > andeverybody else actively watching the performance. To accomodate a
        > liveband, the request list needs to be restricted to, say, 20 or so
        > dances:* Ballo di Fiore (will start)* Amoroso* Bella Gioiosa*
        > Chestnut* Gelosia* Gracca Amorosa* Heart's Ease* Korobushka* Maltese
        > Bransle* Montarde Bransle* Nonesuch* Pavane* Quen Quer Que*
        > Salterello: La Regina* Vita di Cholino* Washerwoman's BransleHelp me
        > out. What dances need to be added, or switched
        > around?--Christian[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • Chris Mortika
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2008
          --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@...> wrote:
          > In keeping with your request for suggestions, here's my two
          > and a half cents.

          Thank you for your suggestions, as well as for your enthusiasm and
          support! It would be rude of me to ask for your opinion and then
          publically disagree with it. But I'd be happy to send you a private
          note explaining why I chose some of the post-1600 dances.

          --Christian