RE: [CalontirDance] Proposal for Coronation: Comments Requested

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8 10:33 AM
      Wahoo, I'm glad I'm already planning to attend this one. This is quite an ambitious plan and I'm excited to see it go forward.

      In keeping with your request for suggestions, here's my two and a half cents.

      It may be worth asking Cathus and Rowan for some of their newer English Country reconstructions, I'm blanking on the names but they're quite nice. (Cathus, Rowan , Help, what's the snap and change one??)

      Please leave the out of period dances for the pick up dancing and out of the set list. These include:
      Korobushka
      Calontir BranslePavane (which one - many are very very modern and made up)Quen Quer Que (tertiary research experiment on a Cantiga format- ask it's creator Sion if you'd like more info)Salterello: La Regina

      For personal tastes I'd replace:
      Bella Gioioso with Villanella, Washerwomans Bransle with any non-mimed bransle, and Nonesuch with a root canal.

      Most of all I'm just glad you're taking this on and that there will be dancing at two coronations in a row. Woot!

      Tsire

      To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.comFrom: c.mortika@...: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:46:18 +0000Subject: [CalontirDance] Proposal for Coronation: Comments Requested

      So, in the evening of Luther & Maerwynn's coronation, in Their Shire ofDeodar, we'll be holding a dance ball.Here's what I'd like to try. I'm posting this proposal here, and,based on any suggestions you folks might have, I'll be disseminating amore polished announcement to a wider audience on Monday or so.There are three sets, each taking about an hour. Afterwards, there'llbe pick-up dancing and requests.SET ONE:Set One is intended to be dance-novice friendly. People who haven'tdanced (or danced much) before should be able to walk away with apositive experience. We can achieve that by getting them comfortableenough with a few dances that they can get past the "learning stage" oftrying to remember the next steps, and actually dance. This set shouldconsist mostly of well-known favorites, but it might also include a newdance. All dances will be taught.* Official Bransle* Black Almain* Petit Riens* Gathering Peascods* Rufty Tufty* My Lady CullenSET TWO:The middle set is a "standard" dance ball. There may be some newdances, but not many. Most dances will be reviewed beforehand, but notall. In all, we'll probably get through about eight dances.* Rostiboli Gioioso* Sellenger's Round* Picking of Sticks* Ly Bens* Calontir Bransle* Heralds in Love* PiantoneSET THREE:Set Three is a "Caroso-style" ball. A Caroso ball is, in some ways,the analogue of a bardic circle. People take turns leading. Sometimesthe leader starts a song / dance where everybody joins in, and sometimesyou'll see a a piece with just a couple or two on the dance floor, andeverybody else actively watching the performance. To accomodate a liveband, the request list needs to be restricted to, say, 20 or so dances:* Ballo di Fiore (will start)* Amoroso* Bella Gioiosa* Chestnut* Gelosia* Gracca Amorosa* Heart's Ease* Korobushka* Maltese Bransle* Montarde Bransle* Nonesuch* Pavane* Quen Quer Que* Salterello: La Regina* Vita di Cholino* Washerwoman's BransleHelp me out. What dances need to be added, or switched around?--Christian[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • Cathus and Rowan
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8 11:21 AM
        Some of the more popular English Country dances we've done are
        Confesse, Mage on a Cree, and Bobbing Jo (the 'snap and change' one).
        :-)

        I'd wouldn't mind seeing more choices on the Coroso list. Why not ask
        the musicians for a list of the dances that they'd be able to play if
        asked?

        Unfortunately we're not going to be there - it looks like a great ball.

        - Cathus

        --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@...> wrote:

        > Wahoo, I'm glad I'm already planning to attend this one. This is
        quite an ambitious plan and I'm excited to see it go forward.

        > In keeping with your request for suggestions, here's my two and a
        half cents.

        > It may be worth asking Cathus and Rowan for some of their newer
        English Country reconstructions, I'm blanking on the names but they're
        quite nice. (Cathus, Rowan , Help, what's the snap and change one??)

        > Please leave the out of period dances for the pick up dancing and
        out of the set list. These include:
        > Korobushka
        > Calontir BranslePavane (which one - many are very very modern and
        made up)Quen Quer Que (tertiary research experiment on a Cantiga
        format- ask it's creator Sion if you'd like more info)Salterello: La
        Regina

        > For personal tastes I'd replace:
        > Bella Gioioso with Villanella, Washerwomans Bransle with any
        non-mimed bransle, and Nonesuch with a root canal.

        > Most of all I'm just glad you're taking this on and that there will
        be dancing at two coronations in a row. Woot!

        > Tsire
        >

        > To: CalontirDance@...: c.mortika@...: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:46:18
        +0000Subject: [CalontirDance] Proposal for Coronation: Comments Requested

        > So, in the evening of Luther & Maerwynn's coronation, in Their Shire
        ofDeodar, we'll be holding a dance ball.Here's what I'd like to try.
        I'm posting this proposal here, and,based on any suggestions you folks
        might have, I'll be disseminating amore polished announcement to a
        wider audience on Monday or so.There are three sets, each taking about
        an hour. Afterwards, there'llbe pick-up dancing and requests.SET
        ONE:Set One is intended to be dance-novice friendly. People who
        haven'tdanced (or danced much) before should be able to walk away with
        apositive experience. We can achieve that by getting them
        comfortableenough with a few dances that they can get past the
        "learning stage" oftrying to remember the next steps, and actually
        dance. This set shouldconsist mostly of well-known favorites, but it
        might also include a newdance. All dances will be taught.* Official
        Bransle* Black Almain* Petit Riens* Gathering Peascods* Rufty Tufty*
        My Lady CullenSET TWO:The middle set is a "standard" dance ball. There
        may be some newdances, but not many. Most dances will be reviewed
        beforehand, but notall. In all, we'll probably get through about eight
        dances.* Rostiboli Gioioso* Sellenger's Round* Picking of Sticks* Ly
        Bens* Calontir Bransle* Heralds in Love* PiantoneSET THREE:Set Three
        is a "Caroso-style" ball. A Caroso ball is, in some ways,the analogue
        of a bardic circle. People take turns leading. Sometimesthe leader
        starts a song / dance where everybody joins in, and sometimesyou'll
        see a a piece with just a couple or two on the dance floor,
        andeverybody else actively watching the performance. To accomodate a
        liveband, the request list needs to be restricted to, say, 20 or so
        dances:* Ballo di Fiore (will start)* Amoroso* Bella Gioiosa*
        Chestnut* Gelosia* Gracca Amorosa* Heart's Ease* Korobushka* Maltese
        Bransle* Montarde Bransle* Nonesuch* Pavane* Quen Quer Que*
        Salterello: La Regina* Vita di Cholino* Washerwoman's BransleHelp me
        out. What dances need to be added, or switched
        around?--Christian[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • Constantia/Rachel
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8 11:24 AM
          I also second Confesse. It's one of the lesser-known ones (isn't it?)
          and it'd be a great teaching opportunity.

          -Constantia K.

          --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, "Cathus and Rowan" <rowan@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > Bens* Calontir Bransle* Heralds in Love* PiantoneSET THREE:Set Three
          > is a "Caroso-style" ball. A Caroso ball is, in some ways,the analogue
          > of a bardic circle. People take turns leading. Sometimesthe leader
          > starts a song / dance where everybody joins in, and sometimesyou'll
          > see a a piece with just a couple or two on the dance floor,
          > andeverybody else actively watching the performance. To accomodate a
          > liveband, the request list needs to be restricted to, say, 20 or so
          > dances:* Ballo di Fiore (will start)* Amoroso* Bella Gioiosa*
          > Chestnut* Gelosia* Gracca Amorosa* Heart's Ease* Korobushka* Maltese
          > Bransle* Montarde Bransle* Nonesuch* Pavane* Quen Quer Que*
          > Salterello: La Regina* Vita di Cholino* Washerwoman's BransleHelp me
          > out. What dances need to be added, or switched
          > around?--Christian[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        • Chris Mortika
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8 12:03 PM
            --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@...> wrote:
            > In keeping with your request for suggestions, here's my two
            > and a half cents.

            Thank you for your suggestions, as well as for your enthusiasm and
            support! It would be rude of me to ask for your opinion and then
            publically disagree with it. But I'd be happy to send you a private
            note explaining why I chose some of the post-1600 dances.

            --Christian