Proposal for Coronation: Comments Requested

  • Chris Mortika
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2008
      So, in the evening of Luther & Maerwynn's coronation, in Their Shire of
      Deodar, we'll be holding a dance ball.

      Here's what I'd like to try. I'm posting this proposal here, and,
      based on any suggestions you folks might have, I'll be disseminating a
      more polished announcement to a wider audience on Monday or so.

      There are three sets, each taking about an hour. Afterwards, there'll
      be pick-up dancing and requests.

      SET ONE:
      Set One is intended to be dance-novice friendly. People who haven't
      danced (or danced much) before should be able to walk away with a
      positive experience. We can achieve that by getting them comfortable
      enough with a few dances that they can get past the "learning stage" of
      trying to remember the next steps, and actually dance. This set should
      consist mostly of well-known favorites, but it might also include a new
      dance. All dances will be taught.

      * Official Bransle
      * Black Almain
      * Petit Riens
      * Gathering Peascods
      * Rufty Tufty
      * My Lady Cullen

      SET TWO:

      The middle set is a "standard" dance ball. There may be some new
      dances, but not many. Most dances will be reviewed beforehand, but not
      all. In all, we'll probably get through about eight dances.

      * Rostiboli Gioioso
      * Sellenger's Round
      * Picking of Sticks
      * Ly Bens
      * Calontir Bransle
      * Heralds in Love
      * Piantone

      SET THREE:

      Set Three is a "Caroso-style" ball. A Caroso ball is, in some ways,
      the analogue of a bardic circle. People take turns leading. Sometimes
      the leader starts a song / dance where everybody joins in, and sometimes
      you'll see a a piece with just a couple or two on the dance floor, and
      everybody else actively watching the performance. To accomodate a live
      band, the request list needs to be restricted to, say, 20 or so dances:

      * Ballo di Fiore (will start)
      * Amoroso
      * Bella Gioiosa
      * Chestnut
      * Gelosia
      * Gracca Amorosa
      * Heart's Ease
      * Korobushka
      * Maltese Bransle
      * Montarde Bransle
      * Nonesuch
      * Pavane
      * Quen Quer Que
      * Salterello: La Regina
      * Vita di Cholino
      * Washerwoman's Bransle

      Help me out. What dances need to be added, or switched around?

      --Christian

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2008
        Wahoo, I'm glad I'm already planning to attend this one. This is quite an ambitious plan and I'm excited to see it go forward.

        In keeping with your request for suggestions, here's my two and a half cents.

        It may be worth asking Cathus and Rowan for some of their newer English Country reconstructions, I'm blanking on the names but they're quite nice. (Cathus, Rowan , Help, what's the snap and change one??)

        Please leave the out of period dances for the pick up dancing and out of the set list. These include:
        Korobushka
        Calontir BranslePavane (which one - many are very very modern and made up)Quen Quer Que (tertiary research experiment on a Cantiga format- ask it's creator Sion if you'd like more info)Salterello: La Regina

        For personal tastes I'd replace:
        Bella Gioioso with Villanella, Washerwomans Bransle with any non-mimed bransle, and Nonesuch with a root canal.

        Most of all I'm just glad you're taking this on and that there will be dancing at two coronations in a row. Woot!

        Tsire

        To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.comFrom: c.mortika@...: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:46:18 +0000Subject: [CalontirDance] Proposal for Coronation: Comments Requested

        So, in the evening of Luther & Maerwynn's coronation, in Their Shire ofDeodar, we'll be holding a dance ball.Here's what I'd like to try. I'm posting this proposal here, and,based on any suggestions you folks might have, I'll be disseminating amore polished announcement to a wider audience on Monday or so.There are three sets, each taking about an hour. Afterwards, there'llbe pick-up dancing and requests.SET ONE:Set One is intended to be dance-novice friendly. People who haven'tdanced (or danced much) before should be able to walk away with apositive experience. We can achieve that by getting them comfortableenough with a few dances that they can get past the "learning stage" oftrying to remember the next steps, and actually dance. This set shouldconsist mostly of well-known favorites, but it might also include a newdance. All dances will be taught.* Official Bransle* Black Almain* Petit Riens* Gathering Peascods* Rufty Tufty* My Lady CullenSET TWO:The middle set is a "standard" dance ball. There may be some newdances, but not many. Most dances will be reviewed beforehand, but notall. In all, we'll probably get through about eight dances.* Rostiboli Gioioso* Sellenger's Round* Picking of Sticks* Ly Bens* Calontir Bransle* Heralds in Love* PiantoneSET THREE:Set Three is a "Caroso-style" ball. A Caroso ball is, in some ways,the analogue of a bardic circle. People take turns leading. Sometimesthe leader starts a song / dance where everybody joins in, and sometimesyou'll see a a piece with just a couple or two on the dance floor, andeverybody else actively watching the performance. To accomodate a liveband, the request list needs to be restricted to, say, 20 or so dances:* Ballo di Fiore (will start)* Amoroso* Bella Gioiosa* Chestnut* Gelosia* Gracca Amorosa* Heart's Ease* Korobushka* Maltese Bransle* Montarde Bransle* Nonesuch* Pavane* Quen Quer Que* Salterello: La Regina* Vita di Cholino* Washerwoman's BransleHelp me out. What dances need to be added, or switched around?--Christian[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • Cathus and Rowan
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2008
          Some of the more popular English Country dances we've done are
          Confesse, Mage on a Cree, and Bobbing Jo (the 'snap and change' one).
          :-)

          I'd wouldn't mind seeing more choices on the Coroso list. Why not ask
          the musicians for a list of the dances that they'd be able to play if
          asked?

          Unfortunately we're not going to be there - it looks like a great ball.

          - Cathus

          --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@...> wrote:

          > Wahoo, I'm glad I'm already planning to attend this one. This is
          quite an ambitious plan and I'm excited to see it go forward.

          > In keeping with your request for suggestions, here's my two and a
          half cents.

          > It may be worth asking Cathus and Rowan for some of their newer
          English Country reconstructions, I'm blanking on the names but they're
          quite nice. (Cathus, Rowan , Help, what's the snap and change one??)

          > Please leave the out of period dances for the pick up dancing and
          out of the set list. These include:
          > Korobushka
          > Calontir BranslePavane (which one - many are very very modern and
          made up)Quen Quer Que (tertiary research experiment on a Cantiga
          format- ask it's creator Sion if you'd like more info)Salterello: La
          Regina

          > For personal tastes I'd replace:
          > Bella Gioioso with Villanella, Washerwomans Bransle with any
          non-mimed bransle, and Nonesuch with a root canal.

          > Most of all I'm just glad you're taking this on and that there will
          be dancing at two coronations in a row. Woot!

          > Tsire
          >

          > To: CalontirDance@...: c.mortika@...: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:46:18
          +0000Subject: [CalontirDance] Proposal for Coronation: Comments Requested

          > So, in the evening of Luther & Maerwynn's coronation, in Their Shire
          ofDeodar, we'll be holding a dance ball.Here's what I'd like to try.
          I'm posting this proposal here, and,based on any suggestions you folks
          might have, I'll be disseminating amore polished announcement to a
          wider audience on Monday or so.There are three sets, each taking about
          an hour. Afterwards, there'llbe pick-up dancing and requests.SET
          ONE:Set One is intended to be dance-novice friendly. People who
          haven'tdanced (or danced much) before should be able to walk away with
          apositive experience. We can achieve that by getting them
          comfortableenough with a few dances that they can get past the
          "learning stage" oftrying to remember the next steps, and actually
          dance. This set shouldconsist mostly of well-known favorites, but it
          might also include a newdance. All dances will be taught.* Official
          Bransle* Black Almain* Petit Riens* Gathering Peascods* Rufty Tufty*
          My Lady CullenSET TWO:The middle set is a "standard" dance ball. There
          may be some newdances, but not many. Most dances will be reviewed
          beforehand, but notall. In all, we'll probably get through about eight
          dances.* Rostiboli Gioioso* Sellenger's Round* Picking of Sticks* Ly
          Bens* Calontir Bransle* Heralds in Love* PiantoneSET THREE:Set Three
          is a "Caroso-style" ball. A Caroso ball is, in some ways,the analogue
          of a bardic circle. People take turns leading. Sometimesthe leader
          starts a song / dance where everybody joins in, and sometimesyou'll
          see a a piece with just a couple or two on the dance floor,
          andeverybody else actively watching the performance. To accomodate a
          liveband, the request list needs to be restricted to, say, 20 or so
          dances:* Ballo di Fiore (will start)* Amoroso* Bella Gioiosa*
          Chestnut* Gelosia* Gracca Amorosa* Heart's Ease* Korobushka* Maltese
          Bransle* Montarde Bransle* Nonesuch* Pavane* Quen Quer Que*
          Salterello: La Regina* Vita di Cholino* Washerwoman's BransleHelp me
          out. What dances need to be added, or switched
          around?--Christian[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        • Constantia/Rachel
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8, 2008
            I also second Confesse. It's one of the lesser-known ones (isn't it?)
            and it'd be a great teaching opportunity.

            -Constantia K.

            --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, "Cathus and Rowan" <rowan@...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 8, 2008
              --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@...> wrote:
              > In keeping with your request for suggestions, here's my two
              > and a half cents.

              Thank you for your suggestions, as well as for your enthusiasm and
              support! It would be rude of me to ask for your opinion and then
              publically disagree with it. But I'd be happy to send you a private
              note explaining why I chose some of the post-1600 dances.

              --Christian