Re: RE: RE: [CalontirDance] Lilies Classes

  • Kirsten Garner
    Message 1 of 18 , May 8, 2000
      Hi all..

      > > All this talk about Lillies makes me wish I could actually get
      there
      > > this year! :)
      >
      > Hrumph! I came out to your war ;)

      I know, bad Julian. :) Just mark it down to another instance of
      Tristram and I avoiding each other. ;)

      > > PS: Conrad - last count was 121 dances! Where are you? ;)
      >
      > That you know? Have music for?

      That I know, can dance and have music for. :) That's counting the 4
      15th-century Italians that I put together last week. :)

      It's amazing what one can do when one is avoiding a PhD. :)

      Julian
    • Kirsten Garner
      Message 2 of 18 , May 8, 2000
        Hi again... :)

        > Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last
        year :)

        Next time... well, maybe if it ever gets out this way. I don't know
        if I can afford Boston. :)

        > Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
        > if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they
        like
        > and like what they know.

        That's what I've been doing. I landed in Atenveldt, went to a dance
        practice that Friday night and ended up teaching two classes at the
        Kingdom Dance Collegium (the next day - Saturday). It's been downhill
        ever since. ;) I'm now baronial dance minister for the barony (and
        it's a HUGE barony - scared the mess out of me when I first got
        here). I run two dance practices a month and at events. The problem
        is that there was already *some* dance out here (mostly OOP and some
        ECD) which is what people want to do. There is heavy resistance to
        Italians. So..I try to work around that as well as I can -
        introducing easy Italians very very very slowly. There's also the
        ever-present "Can we do X dance?". A good example is Contrapasso
        Nuovo. To which the answer is inevitably "Which version? Caroso Il
        Ballarino, Caroso Nobilita, Negri, Master dance laurel's version, or
        some other odd creation?". No one knows, but when you try to
        introduce the one you know, the response is, wait for it, "That's not
        how we do it". It's kinda frustrating at times. So I'm open for
        suggestions. :)

        Julian
      • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
        Message 3 of 18 , May 8, 2000
          >> > PS: Conrad - last count was 121 dances! Where are you? ;)
          >>
          >> That you know? Have music for?
          >
          >That I know, can dance and have music for. :) That's counting the 4
          >15th-century Italians that I put together last week. :)
          >
          >It's amazing what one can do when one is avoiding a PhD. :)
          >
          >Julian

          OOh, I'm somewhat in awe. I just catalogued mine and it ended up only in the
          mid-40s (and that was being generous counting things I'd need a bit of review
          before teaching, but not counting the Inns of Court stuff).

          But then I'm only avoiding a bachelor's!

          Katherine

          Cathy Dean Katherine Mercer
          Grinnell College Seneschal, College of NoMountain
          deanc@... Calontir
          http://home.earthlink.net/~lfdean
          Knowledge is Power; Power Corrupts; Study Hard; Be Evil
        • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
          Message 4 of 18 , May 8, 2000
            >===== Original Message From CalontirDance@egroups.com =====
            >> Sounds like an experiment to me! :) Let's see...I know Conrad (hi
            >> Conrad!), Bartolo, Mistress Caitlin de Courcy, Wolfgang Adolphus
            >> Jaeger, Greg (gb)(and that's a story and a half), Master Niccolo and
            >> the people here.... I'm sure that should get us at least half-way to
            >> everyone else. ;) Heehee - the 7 degrees of -
            >> could be a great party game for Pennsic! :)
            >
            >Its more like 2 or 3. My list; Alphia, Sion, Faelen, Rosenore, Alina,
            >Rosina, Philipe, Gregory, Giuseppe, William Redcape, Guiiliam,
            >Perenell (sp?), Nicoolo, Julian, Del all the calontir people etc.

            Hmmm... how well do we need to know dance instructors for them to count?
            There
            are a few who I could probably count as people I know but wouldn't want to
            (sorry, getting catty for a moment, no one here in Calontir, thank goodness!)

            So... People I really know: Conrad, Tsire, Daria (in Calontir), Bartolo (in
            Atenvelt), Alina, Llewellyn, and the rest of the Cynnabar crew (in the
            Midrealm), Theodorin, Anne, and (briefly) Melusine (in Drachenwald). Must
            network more....

            >Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last year :)

            New year for sure. Already budgeting for a plane ticket.

            >> I have a question for y'all out there in Calontir. How have you
            >> managed to get the Italians to catch on? I remember when I was out
            >> there, we predominately did ECD and Arbeau. What things have worked
            >> for you? :) (I'm desperately searching for new things to try out
            >> here. :)
            >
            >Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
            >if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they like
            >and like what they know.

            Well, I've been blessed with very open dancers (undergrads at a very liberal
            college for the most part), but my tactic has been a) to be openly
            enthusiastic
            about what I'm going to teach b) never force anything down their throats c)
            always try to do a balance of new and old stuff (an easy repetoire dance like
            Black Alman to cement things in their heads, maybe one italian, an
            intermediate
            ECD and Posten's or something fast and fun) and c) take things very slowly.

            And unfortuantely from what I've seen, they haven't quite caught on yet.
            People
            may not run from the room when they hear the next dance is going to be Gelosia
            or something like that, but they don't exactly jump for joy like I've
            witnessed
            over Hole in the Head (oops, Wall).

            Of course I can't speak for what's going on down south.

            Katheri

            Message 5 of 18 , May 8, 2000
              >===== Original Message From CalontirDance@egroups.com =====
              >> >I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
              >> >mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
              >> >it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :)
              >>
              >> I couldn't agree more. It's one of my 'personal crusade'
              >> dances that I wish
              >> would become an SCA standard. It's also one of only two
              >> Italian dances that
              >> my
              >> (overwhelmingly open and wonderful) dancers request (the
              >> other being Petit
              >> Riens, although I'm winning them over with Dolce Amoroso Fiamma).
              >

              >I agree too, but I don't know the last one (yet).

              Soon, soon (if the music gods cooporate *laugh*).

              I think the
              >third one in my book is Gelosia. I think it helps some of the
              >ECD mindset cause it sorta looks line one (at least for a little
              >while - none of the everyone wandering all over the place.

              Oh, but that's the glory of 15th c--all of the wonderful chase stuff. Ah....