Re: [CalontirDance] Bardic Charter

  • Becky Buchanan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      What follows this paragraph is my post to the Calontir Bards' list from a week ago. I was quoting a prior post from Andrixos in points #1 and #2:

      As a musician, I couldn't agree more with these two statements:

      1.) "Calling a musician, dancer, drummer or juggler a bard would only confuse the issue. Call them entertainers as well, and recognize that they have different specialties."

      2.) "There are techniques from each of these other entertainment arts that are helpful in some aspects of performance as a bard. But I would suggest that the vast majority of their techniques are specific to their own field."

      I am primarily an instrumental musician (wooden flute/fife & keyboard instruments) and I also like singing period songs. I love playing period dance music, instrumental Renaissance secular music, pre-Renaissance non-secular music, anything Istanpitta performs, etc. I can't think of any period music I've attempted that I've hated or never wanted to play again. I also enjoy singing in a period music group here in Mag Mor. I also like singing solo songs in old languages - Old French, 9th century Irish Gaelic, Ladino, Cornish, Middle English, 15th c Polish, whatever. [ Big Plus: since no one speaks these languages anymore, criticism of my pronunciation is strategically limited! (-: ]

      So to me, the label "Musician" is a better fit than "Bard." I'm more of a Bard fan. I do enjoy the SCA Bardic songs, but as someone else said, my memory is not that good. I am amazed at those who can sing all those SCA songs with 14 verses each and love hearing those very moving Calontir songs around a campfire.

      Also, I'm not sure what's to be gained by organizing musicians under a Bardic College umbrella or into a Guild. I just like to play and sing. I don't want to write reports or have meetings about it. I'd prefer to remain laid back and just play music with other musicians, independent of a bureaucracy.

      Thanks again,

      Emelye Tayte

      Conna <conna1@...> wrote: Thanks for the post, Emelye. And Roberto, thanks for the follow-up.

      My first thought is that it seems like an odd definition of a bard. But
      maybe a bard is a hard thing to define. :)

      BARD is included in the Harvard Dictionary of Music (The hereditary
      poet-musicians of the Celtic nations...), so maybe I'm wrong to think
      that "musician" is a far cry from a bard.

      My gut reaction is that, as a musician, I'm not a bard, nor should that
      be enough to qualify me if I wanted to join the Bardic College. When I
      sing at post-revels, I feel much more like a bard, powered, I suppose,
      by the wisdom of the songs written by others. Powerful stories. They
      make me feel like a potential bard, not canzonets or madrigals or
      Playford tunes.

      This is Calontir. It's our culture, our Way, to include everyone. If
      the Bardic College wants to take in all the various performers who have
      a need to belong to an organized group of some kind, I guess it doesn't
      harm anything. But it does strike me as odd and wrong in this case.

      Why doesn't the College consider some generic description, like
      "performer" rather than specifically listing musicians and dancers?

      Conna

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9, 2008
        Emelye, Conna & Roberto,

        Well put all of you!

        For what it's worth, I see my self as a performing artist. I do European dance, period vocal music, and random entertainment pieces. While I feel that bards and I have a link as performers, I ,in no way, see myself as a bard. I'm not comfortable with my arts being lumped into the charter and think it may be confusing to some people who may feel that participation in these (proposed) newly included areas would, de facto, make them members of the Bardic College. Dance has so very little to do with the bardic tradition, it seems like a stretch to include it._I agree that I'd rather just do my art and not have meetings about it. I've felt pressure, mostly from non-dancers, for years to form a dance guild. I've resisted this as I don't think a formal structure is warranted. This also feels to me, true or not, like a way to lump dancers into a category, a guild, or an organizational structure that we have been vocal about not wanting. This is frustrating to me as a dancer, a singer, a dramatic performer, a spectacle organizer and decidedly not a bard.

      • Becky Buchanan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9, 2008
          I could not agree more with you Tsire!

          I just got an email from the Bardic list regarding the latest Charter revision, which does not specifically call out musicians, dancers, etc. I think it's definitely a step in the right direction. I uploaded it to the Files section.

          Thanks,
          Emelye

          Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@...> wrote: Emelye, Conna & Roberto,

[...]

        • Conna
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 21, 2008
            I bring joyous news to this list:

            This past Saturday morning, the Crown of the Midrealm put Baron
            Phillippe de Lyon,
            former recent Baron of our dear friends in Shattered Crystal on vigil
            for the Order of
            the Laurel.

            He was elevated to the order at Saturday night's Court for his skills
            in the "arts of the
            courtier."

            Constantia and I serenaded him from a purple-and-gold shadefly, set
            next to his vigil chamber. We were quickly joined by a merry bunch of
            Midrealm musicians, including several fun members of Music Subterranea.

            Conde Fernando spoke wisely in the Laurel ceremony, commenting heavily
            on Philippe's great friendship to Calontir. I couldn't agree more!

            Hurray for Master Philippe!