Bardic Charter in Files section of group

  • Becky Buchanan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 7, 2008
      OK - I saw you can't attach a document to an email, but you can easily upload a file to the Group so everyone can download it. Cool! So the Bardic Charter should be accessible to everyone. If you still can't access it, I can email it to you.

      Thanks,

      Emelye

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
        Emelye,

        Thanks for bringing this up. What does everyone on this list feel about being included in the Bardic College charter? Were any of you approached about your opinion on the subject before being added?

      • Chris Lewis
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
          I would like to clarify for a moment before much else.

          The Bardic College is not trying to say if you do these arts you have to be
          a Bard.

          The reason the change came about, was trying to open things up to people who
          want to be involved.

          So I think the intent is, "We will accept any as Bards who do any of the
          following activities, if they wish to associate as bards," is a little more
          accurate than, "All of the people who do these arts are by default, Bards."

          The whole thing appears to be a bit of a sticky wicket from where I stand,
          but I think this might help the appearance of what is being discussed.

          -Roberto

          _____

          Thanks for bringing this up. What does everyone on this list feel about
          being included in the Bardic College charter? Were any of you approached
          about your opinion on the subject before being added?

        • Conna
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
            Thanks for the post, Emelye. And Roberto, thanks for the follow-up.

            My first thought is that it seems like an odd definition of a bard. But
            maybe a bard is a hard thing to define. :)

            BARD is included in the Harvard Dictionary of Music (The hereditary
            poet-musicians of the Celtic nations...), so maybe I'm wrong to think
            that "musician" is a far cry from a bard.

            My gut reaction is that, as a musician, I'm not a bard, nor should that
            be enough to qualify me if I wanted to join the Bardic College. When I
            sing at post-revels, I feel much more like a bard, powered, I suppose,
            by the wisdom of the songs written by others. Powerful stories. They
            make me feel like a potential bard, not canzonets or madrigals or
            Playford tunes.

            This is Calontir. It's our culture, our Way, to include everyone. If
            the Bardic College wants to take in all the various performers who have
            a need to belong to an organized group of some kind, I guess it doesn't
            harm anything. But it does strike me as odd and wrong in this case.

            Why doesn't the College consider some generic description, like
            "performer" rather than specifically listing musicians and dancers?

            Conna

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9, 2008
              Hi everyone,

              What follows this paragraph is my post to the Calontir Bards' list from a week ago. I was quoting a prior post from Andrixos in points #1 and #2:

              As a musician, I couldn't agree more with these two statements:

              1.) "Calling a musician, dancer, drummer or juggler a bard would only confuse the issue. Call them entertainers as well, and recognize that they have different specialties."

              2.) "There are techniques from each of these other entertainment arts that are helpful in some aspects of performance as a bard. But I would suggest that the vast majority of their techniques are specific to their own field."

              I am primarily an instrumental musician (wooden flute/fife & keyboard instruments) and I also like singing period songs. I love playing period dance music, instrumental Renaissance secular music, pre-Renaissance non-secular music, anything Istanpitta performs, etc. I can't think of any period music I've attempted that I've hated or never wanted to play again. I also enjoy singing in a period music group here in Mag Mor. I also like singing solo songs in old languages - Old French, 9th century Irish Gaelic, Ladino, Cornish, Middle English, 15th c Polish, whatever. [ Big Plus: since no one speaks these languages anymore, criticism of my pronunciation is strategically limited! (-: ]

              So to me, the label "Musician" is a better fit than "Bard." I'm more of a Bard fan. I do enjoy the SCA Bardic songs, but as someone else said, my memory is not that good. I am amazed at those who can sing all those SCA songs with 14 verses each and love hearing those very moving Calontir songs around a campfire.

              Also, I'm not sure what's to be gained by organizing musicians under a Bardic College umbrella or into a Guild. I just like to play and sing. I don't want to write reports or have meetings about it. I'd prefer to remain laid back and just play music with other musicians, independent of a bureaucracy.

              Thanks again,

              Emelye Tayte

              Conna <conna1@...> wrote: Thanks for the post, Emelye. And Roberto, thanks for the follow-up.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 9, 2008
                Emelye, Conna & Roberto,

                Well put all of you!

                For what it's worth, I see my self as a performing artist. I do European dance, period vocal music, and random entertainment pieces. While I feel that bards and I have a link as performers, I ,in no way, see myself as a bard. I'm not comfortable with my arts being lumped into the charter and think it may be confusing to some people who may feel that participation in these (proposed) newly included areas would, de facto, make them members of the Bardic College. Dance has so very little to do with the bardic tradition, it seems like a stretch to include it._I agree that I'd rather just do my art and not have meetings about it. I've felt pressure, mostly from non-dancers, for years to form a dance guild. I've resisted this as I don't think a formal structure is warranted. This also feels to me, true or not, like a way to lump dancers into a category, a guild, or an organizational structure that we have been vocal about not wanting. This is frustrating to me as a dancer, a singer, a dramatic performer, a spectacle organizer and decidedly not a bard.

              • Becky Buchanan
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9, 2008
                  I could not agree more with you Tsire!

                  I just got an email from the Bardic list regarding the latest Charter revision, which does not specifically call out musicians, dancers, etc. I think it's definitely a step in the right direction. I uploaded it to the Files section.

                  Thanks,
                  Emelye

                  Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@...> wrote: Emelye, Conna & Roberto,

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 21, 2008
                    I bring joyous news to this list:

                    This past Saturday morning, the Crown of the Midrealm put Baron
                    Phillippe de Lyon,
                    former recent Baron of our dear friends in Shattered Crystal on vigil
                    for the Order of
                    the Laurel.

                    He was elevated to the order at Saturday night's Court for his skills
                    in the "arts of the
                    courtier."

                    Constantia and I serenaded him from a purple-and-gold shadefly, set
                    next to his vigil chamber. We were quickly joined by a merry bunch of
                    Midrealm musicians, including several fun members of Music Subterranea.

                    Conde Fernando spoke wisely in the Laurel ceremony, commenting heavily
                    on Philippe's great friendship to Calontir. I couldn't agree more!

                    Hurray for Master Philippe!