Bardic College revises Charter - includes dancers, musicians

  • Becky Buchanan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      Just wanted everyone to know the Bardic College is considering revising its charter to include musicians and dancers. I thought you may like to know this is occurring and perhaps comment before any final decisions are made. You may or may not have an opinion on whether dance, instrumental music or choral music should be part of the Bardic College. The main discussion on this topic is taking place on the Calontir Bardic list - CalontirBards@yahoogroups.com.

      Dorcas is the Dean of the Bardic College and gave me permission to forward the latest revision of the Charter. I don't know if I can attach Word docs to this list, but I'll give it a try anyway. If it doesn't work, the specific wording of the membership part of the charter is as follows:

      Membership
      The Bardic College is open to all who have an interest in the bardic or performing arts. Anyone may become a member by: 1) stating an intention to become a member and 2) completing one performance in the presence of any member of the College. The member who was witness of said performance shall then notify the Dean by writing or email at the soonest opportunity of the name and residence of the new member so the new member may be recorded for purposes of maintaining a census of the college.

      All members of the College shall be considered equals, and there shall be no internal rank structure of members within the Bardic College. The Kingdom of Calontir's award structure shall be used should any need arise.

      Definition of the Bardic and Performing Arts
      Three traditional bardic arts are recognized by the Bardic College:
      1. Storytelling
      2. Poetry
      3. Music
      Other performing arts are recognized as having historical significance and entertainment value. These include, but are not limited to:

      1. Dancing, as practiced in all cultures relevant to the SCA
      2. Playing music for dancers, including drumming
      3. Instrumental performance
      4. Theatrical performance
      5. Juggling, tumbling, and other arts of the Fool
      6. Choral performance

      Hopefully, the Word doc attached ok. If it didn't and you'd like to read the entire charter, I'd be happy to email to anyone who wants it.

      Thanks,

      Emelye Tayte