Next easiest dance from Lilies Ball?

  • Becky Buchanan
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      Sara Sophia and I were wondering what's the next easiest dance Mag Mor could learn from the Lilies Ball list. We have one more practice before Lilies. So far from the list, we know Carolingian Pavan and Ly Bens. Murdoch and I are going to try to teach Black Alman. Is there another dance from the Ball list someone could recommend? Is "My Lady Cullen" easy? I know the music is relatively slow. Sara Sophia was looking for a slower dance. (Slower than Charlotte or Horse's Bransle)

      Here's the complete Ball list:
      Carolingian Pavan (Mag Mor knows this)
      My Lady Cullen
      Anello
      Confesse
      Villanella
      Heralds in Love

      Black Alman (Mag Mor will know this)
      Gracca Amorosa
      Heart's Ease
      Saturday Night/Sunday Morn
      Hyde Park
      Petit Vriens

      Black Nag
      Sellinger's Round
      Ly Bens Dystonis (Mag Mor knows this)
      Rosti Boli Gioiso
      Picking of Sticks
      Cantiga 119 (Piantone)

      Thanks for your help! -- Emelye

    • Rowan
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2008
        Well, TECHNICALLY the easiest dance on the list to learn is Piantone -
        couples in a circle with the ladies on the outside, gentleman form a "star",
        Do pivas around the "star" to the music, caller tells you to go up or back
        one (or more) partners, or to reverse and piva the other direction, or to
        switch and put the ladies to the inside of the "star". DONT STOP THE PIVA
        CIRCLE AT ANY TIME. Continue with the caller till the music is done or the
        dancers have all messed up trying to find the partner that is "four back, or
        six forward, or switch and one forward" and have fallen out of the dance.

        Hyde Park and Confesse are both nice and slow but certain sections/verses
        can be confussing to explain in print - easier to show you. NOT my lady
        cullen - its not what I would call a slow dance. I'd have to say go for
        piete riens - not particullarly slow but probably the next easiest to learn.
        Or possibly hearts ease or black nag - good english country standards.

        HL Rowan Houndskeeper

        Message 3 of 6 , May 28, 2008
          My Lady Cullen is rather quick and has the added complexity of being a
          progressive dance, meaning the couples will do different parts at
          different times).

          From the ball list I would suggest

          Anello

          Hearts ease

          Black Nag

          Petit Riens

          Hearts Ease is definitely the slowest of them, petit riens the fastest.

          Conrad

          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2008
            Petit Riens! Petit Riens!!
            Even _I_ can do it!
            :)

            Conna
            nondancer

            Message 5 of 6 , May 28, 2008
              Easy Dances on this list are:
              Carolingian Pavanne
              Anello*
              Black Alman*
              Hearts Ease*
              Hyde Park
              Petit Riense*
              Sellengers Round*
              Ly Bens *
              Piantone
              * Sara Sophia - you did these at Crown Tourney

              My suggestions are:
              Anello
              Black Alman
              Petit Riense
              Hyde Park
              Keep in mind that with live music you can make any dance slow while you're learning it. :)

              Tsire

              On Wednesday, May 28, 2008, at 06:01 AM, Becky Buchanan wrote:> Hi everyone,>> Sara Sophia and I were wondering what's the next easiest dance Mag Mor > could learn from the Lilies Ball list. We have one more practice > before Lilies. So far from the list, we know Carolingian Pavan and Ly > Bens. Murdoch and I are going to try to teach Black Alman. Is there > another dance from the Ball list someone could recommend? Is "My Lady > Cullen" easy? I know the music is relatively slow. Sara Sophia was > looking for a slower dance. (Slower than Charlotte or Horse's Bransle)>> Here's the complete Ball list:> Carolingian Pavan (Mag Mor knows this)> My Lady Cullen> Anello> Confesse> Villanella> Heralds in Love>> Black Alman (Mag Mor will know this)> Gracca Amorosa> Heart's Ease> Saturday Night/Sunday Morn> Hyde Park> Petit Vriens>> Black Nag> Sellinger's Round> Ly Bens Dystonis (Mag Mor knows this)> Rosti Boli Gioiso> Picking of Sticks> Cantiga 119 (Piantone)>> Thanks for your help! -- Emelye>>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • Becky Buchanan