RE: RE: [CalontirDance] Lilies Classes

    Message 1 of 18 , May 8 10:06 AM
      > I've got a two-person version of Petit Vriens which I occasionally
      > throw on to confuse our kingdom dance minister. :) But that's beside
      > the point. :)

      Aparently someone back east has reconstruced and created music for
      petit rose (a 2 person dance).

      Message 2 of 18 , May 8 10:15 AM
        > Sounds like an experiment to me! :) Let's see...I know Conrad (hi
        > Conrad!), Bartolo, Mistress Caitlin de Courcy, Wolfgang Adolphus
        > Jaeger, Greg (gb)(and that's a story and a half), Master Niccolo and
        > the people here.... I'm sure that should get us at least half-way to
        > everyone else. ;) Heehee - the 7 degrees of <insert name here> -
        > could be a great party game for Pennsic! :)

        Its more like 2 or 3. My list; Alphia, Sion, Faelen, Rosenore, Alina,
        Rosina, Philipe, Gregory, Giuseppe, William Redcape, Guiiliam,
        Perenell (sp?), Nicoolo, Julian, Del all the calontir people etc.

        Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last year :)

        > I have a question for y'all out there in Calontir. How have you
        > managed to get the Italians to catch on? I remember when I was out
        > there, we predominately did ECD and Arbeau. What things have worked
        > for you? :) (I'm desperately searching for new things to try out
        > here. :)

        Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
        if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they like
        and like what they know.

        Conrad
      • Kirsten Garner
        Message 3 of 18 , May 8 3:43 PM
          Hi all..

          > > All this talk about Lillies makes me wish I could actually get
          there
          > > this year! :)
          >
          > Hrumph! I came out to your war ;)

          I know, bad Julian. :) Just mark it down to another instance of
          Tristram and I avoiding each other. ;)

          > > PS: Conrad - last count was 121 dances! Where are you? ;)
          >
          > That you know? Have music for?

          That I know, can dance and have music for. :) That's counting the 4
          15th-century Italians that I put together last week. :)

          It's amazing what one can do when one is avoiding a PhD. :)

          Julian
        • Kirsten Garner
          Message 4 of 18 , May 8 3:50 PM
            Hi again... :)

            > Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last
            year :)

            Next time... well, maybe if it ever gets out this way. I don't know
            if I can afford Boston. :)

            > Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
            > if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they
            like
            > and like what they know.

            That's what I've been doing. I landed in Atenveldt, went to a dance
            practice that Friday night and ended up teaching two classes at the
            Kingdom Dance Collegium (the next day - Saturday). It's been downhill
            ever since. ;) I'm now baronial dance minister for the barony (and
            it's a HUGE barony - scared the mess out of me when I first got
            here). I run two dance practices a month and at events. The problem
            is that there was already *some* dance out here (mostly OOP and some
            ECD) which is what people want to do. There is heavy resistance to
            Italians. So..I try to work around that as well as I can -
            introducing easy Italians very very very slowly. There's also the
            ever-present "Can we do X dance?". A good example is Contrapasso
            Nuovo. To which the answer is inevitably "Which version? Caroso Il
            Ballarino, Caroso Nobilita, Negri, Master dance laurel's version, or
            some other odd creation?". No one knows, but when you try to
            introduce the one you know, the response is, wait for it, "That's not
            how we do it". It's kinda frustrating at times. So I'm open for
            suggestions. :)

            Julian
          • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
            Message 5 of 18 , May 8 4:28 PM
              >> > PS: Conrad - last count was 121 dances! Where are you? ;)
              >>
              >> That you know? Have music for?
              >
              >That I know, can dance and have music for. :) That's counting the 4
              >15th-century Italians that I put together last week. :)
              >
              >It's amazing what one can do when one is avoiding a PhD. :)
              >
              >Julian

              OOh, I'm somewhat in awe. I just catalogued mine and it ended up only in the
              mid-40s (and that was being generous counting things I'd need a bit of review
              before teaching, but not counting the Inns of Court stuff).

              But then I'm only avoiding a bachelor's!

              Katherine

              Cathy Dean Katherine Mercer
              Grinnell College Seneschal, College of NoMountain
              deanc@... Calontir
              http://home.earthlink.net/~lfdean
              Knowledge is Power; Power Corrupts; Study Hard; Be Evil
            • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
              Message 6 of 18 , May 8 4:49 PM
                >===== Original Message From CalontirDance@egroups.com =====
                >> Sounds like an experiment to me! :) Let's see...I know Conrad (hi
                >> Conrad!), Bartolo, Mistress Caitlin de Courcy, Wolfgang Adolphus
                >> Jaeger, Greg (gb)(and that's a story and a half), Master Niccolo and
                >> the people here.... I'm sure that should get us at least half-way to
                >> everyone else. ;) Heehee - the 7 degrees of -
                >> could be a great party game for Pennsic! :)
                >
                >Its more like 2 or 3. My list; Alphia, Sion, Faelen, Rosenore, Alina,
                >Rosina, Philipe, Gregory, Giuseppe, William Redcape, Guiiliam,
                >Perenell (sp?), Nicoolo, Julian, Del all the calontir people etc.

                Hmmm... how well do we need to know dance instructors for them to count?
                There
                are a few who I could probably count as people I know but wouldn't want to
                (sorry, getting catty for a moment, no one here in Calontir, thank goodness!)

                So... People I really know: Conrad, Tsire, Daria (in Calontir), Bartolo (in
                Atenvelt), Alina, Llewellyn, and the rest of the Cynnabar crew (in the
                Midrealm), Theodorin, Anne, and (briefly) Melusine (in Drachenwald). Must
                network more....

                >Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last year :)

                New year for sure. Already budgeting for a plane ticket.

                >> I have a question for y'all out there in Calontir. How have you
                >> managed to get the Italians to catch on? I remember when I was out
                >> there, we predominately did ECD and Arbeau. What things have worked
                >> for you? :) (I'm desperately searching for new things to try out
                >> here. :)
                >
                >Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
                >if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they like
                >and like what they know.

                Well, I've been blessed with very open dancers (undergrads at a very liberal
                college for the most part), but my tactic has been a) to be openly
                enthusiastic
                about what I'm going to teach b) never force anything down their throats c)
                always try to do a balance of new and old stuff (an easy repetoire dance like
                Black Alman to cement things in their heads, maybe one italian, an
                intermediate
                ECD and Posten's or something fast and fun) and c) take things very slowly.

                And unfortuantely from what I've seen, they haven't quite caught on yet.
                People
                may not run from the room when they hear the next dance is going to be Gelosia
                or something like that, but they don't exactly jump for joy like I've
                witnessed
                over Hole in the Head (oops, Wall).

                Of course I can't speak for what's going on down south.

                Katheri

                Message 7 of 18 , May 8 4:51 PM
                  >===== Original Message From CalontirDance@egroups.com =====
                  >> >I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
                  >> >mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
                  >> >it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :)
                  >>
                  >> I couldn't agree more. It's one of my 'personal crusade'
                  >> dances that I wish
                  >> would become an SCA standard. It's also one of only two
                  >> Italian dances that
                  >> my
                  >> (overwhelmingly open and wonderful) dancers request (the
                  >> other being Petit
                  >> Riens, although I'm winning them over with Dolce Amoroso Fiamma).
                  >

                  >I agree too, but I don't know the last one (yet).

                  Soon, soon (if the music gods cooporate *laugh*).

                  I think the
                  >third one in my book is Gelosia. I think it helps some of the
                  >ECD mindset cause it sorta looks line one (at least for a little
                  >while - none of the everyone wandering all over the place.

                  Oh, but that's the glory of 15th c--all of the wonderful chase stuff. Ah....