RE: RE: [CalontirDance] Lilies Classes

    Message 1 of 18 , May 8, 2000
      > Hi Conrad (et all..)

      Well, better late than never :)

      > All this talk about Lillies makes me wish I could actually get there
      > this year! :)

      Hrumph! I came out to your war ;)

      > Just a couple of thoughts from an exiled Calontiri...
      >
      > I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
      > mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
      > it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :) I
      > don't know how the dance world is over in Calontir anymore, but in
      > this dance-backwater kingdom we tend to have resistance to the later
      > Italians.

      I wouldn't say thare is specific resistance to any dance form.
      This is not necessarilly a good thing, becaue its mostly that
      the (relatively few) actually interested in dance will try most
      anything. But hte numbers are starting to grow. Of the 9 weekends
      in april and may, dancing has been on the schedule of at least
      5 events!

      > Makes me wish I could be there this year. What are the classes
      > shaping up like for the KWASS?

      stay tuned :)

      > PS: Conrad - last count was 121 dances! Where are you? ;)

      That you know? Have music for?
      I have no idea.

      Message 2 of 18 , May 8, 2000
        > >I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
        > >mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
        > >it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :)
        >
        > I couldn't agree more. It's one of my 'personal crusade'
        > dances that I wish
        > would become an SCA standard. It's also one of only two
        > Italian dances that
        > my
        > (overwhelmingly open and wonderful) dancers request (the
        > other being Petit
        > Riens, although I'm winning them over with Dolce Amoroso Fiamma).

        I agree too, but I don't know the last one (yet). I think the
        third one in my book is Gelosia. I think it helps some of the
        ECD mindset cause it sorta looks line one (at least for a little
        while - none of the everyone wandering all over the place.

        Message 3 of 18 , May 8, 2000
          > I've got a two-person version of Petit Vriens which I occasionally
          > throw on to confuse our kingdom dance minister. :) But that's beside
          > the point. :)

          Aparently someone back east has reconstruced and created music for
          petit rose (a 2 person dance).

          Message 4 of 18 , May 8, 2000
            > Sounds like an experiment to me! :) Let's see...I know Conrad (hi
            > Conrad!), Bartolo, Mistress Caitlin de Courcy, Wolfgang Adolphus
            > Jaeger, Greg (gb)(and that's a story and a half), Master Niccolo and
            > the people here.... I'm sure that should get us at least half-way to
            > everyone else. ;) Heehee - the 7 degrees of <insert name here> -
            > could be a great party game for Pennsic! :)

            Its more like 2 or 3. My list; Alphia, Sion, Faelen, Rosenore, Alina,
            Rosina, Philipe, Gregory, Giuseppe, William Redcape, Guiiliam,
            Perenell (sp?), Nicoolo, Julian, Del all the calontir people etc.

            Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last year :)

            > I have a question for y'all out there in Calontir. How have you
            > managed to get the Italians to catch on? I remember when I was out
            > there, we predominately did ECD and Arbeau. What things have worked
            > for you? :) (I'm desperately searching for new things to try out
            > here. :)

            Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
            if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they like
            and like what they know.

            Conrad
          • Kirsten Garner
            Message 5 of 18 , May 8, 2000
              Hi all..

              > > All this talk about Lillies makes me wish I could actually get
              there
              > > this year! :)
              >
              > Hrumph! I came out to your war ;)

              I know, bad Julian. :) Just mark it down to another instance of
              Tristram and I avoiding each other. ;)

              > > PS: Conrad - last count was 121 dances! Where are you? ;)
              >
              > That you know? Have music for?

              That I know, can dance and have music for. :) That's counting the 4
              15th-century Italians that I put together last week. :)

              It's amazing what one can do when one is avoiding a PhD. :)

              Julian
            • Kirsten Garner
              Message 6 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                Hi again... :)

                > Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last
                year :)

                Next time... well, maybe if it ever gets out this way. I don't know
                if I can afford Boston. :)

                > Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
                > if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they
                like
                > and like what they know.

                That's what I've been doing. I landed in Atenveldt, went to a dance
                practice that Friday night and ended up teaching two classes at the
                Kingdom Dance Collegium (the next day - Saturday). It's been downhill
                ever since. ;) I'm now baronial dance minister for the barony (and
                it's a HUGE barony - scared the mess out of me when I first got
                here). I run two dance practices a month and at events. The problem
                is that there was already *some* dance out here (mostly OOP and some
                ECD) which is what people want to do. There is heavy resistance to
                Italians. So..I try to work around that as well as I can -
                introducing easy Italians very very very slowly. There's also the
                ever-present "Can we do X dance?". A good example is Contrapasso
                Nuovo. To which the answer is inevitably "Which version? Caroso Il
                Ballarino, Caroso Nobilita, Negri, Master dance laurel's version, or
                some other odd creation?". No one knows, but when you try to
                introduce the one you know, the response is, wait for it, "That's not
                how we do it". It's kinda frustrating at times. So I'm open for
                suggestions. :)

                Julian
              • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
                Message 7 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                  >> > PS: Conrad - last count was 121 dances! Where are you? ;)
                  >>
                  >> That you know? Have music for?
                  >
                  >That I know, can dance and have music for. :) That's counting the 4
                  >15th-century Italians that I put together last week. :)
                  >
                  >It's amazing what one can do when one is avoiding a PhD. :)
                  >
                  >Julian

                  OOh, I'm somewhat in awe. I just catalogued mine and it ended up only in the
                  mid-40s (and that was being generous counting things I'd need a bit of review
                  before teaching, but not counting the Inns of Court stuff).

                  But then I'm only avoiding a bachelor's!

                  Katherine

                  Cathy Dean Katherine Mercer
                  Grinnell College Seneschal, College of NoMountain
                  deanc@... Calontir
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~lfdean
                  Knowledge is Power; Power Corrupts; Study Hard; Be Evil
                • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                    >===== Original Message From CalontirDance@egroups.com =====
                    >> Sounds like an experiment to me! :) Let's see...I know Conrad (hi
                    >> Conrad!), Bartolo, Mistress Caitlin de Courcy, Wolfgang Adolphus
                    >> Jaeger, Greg (gb)(and that's a story and a half), Master Niccolo and
                    >> the people here.... I'm sure that should get us at least half-way to
                    >> everyone else. ;) Heehee - the 7 degrees of -
                    >> could be a great party game for Pennsic! :)
                    >
                    >Its more like 2 or 3. My list; Alphia, Sion, Faelen, Rosenore, Alina,
                    >Rosina, Philipe, Gregory, Giuseppe, William Redcape, Guiiliam,
                    >Perenell (sp?), Nicoolo, Julian, Del all the calontir people etc.

                    Hmmm... how well do we need to know dance instructors for them to count?
                    There
                    are a few who I could probably count as people I know but wouldn't want to
                    (sorry, getting catty for a moment, no one here in Calontir, thank goodness!)

                    So... People I really know: Conrad, Tsire, Daria (in Calontir), Bartolo (in
                    Atenvelt), Alina, Llewellyn, and the rest of the Cynnabar crew (in the
                    Midrealm), Theodorin, Anne, and (briefly) Melusine (in Drachenwald). Must
                    network more....

                    >Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last year :)

                    New year for sure. Already budgeting for a plane ticket.

                    >> I have a question for y'all out there in Calontir. How have you
                    >> managed to get the Italians to catch on? I remember when I was out
                    >> there, we predominately did ECD and Arbeau. What things have worked
                    >> for you? :) (I'm desperately searching for new things to try out
                    >> here. :)
                    >
                    >Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
                    >if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they like
                    >and like what they know.

                    Well, I've been blessed with very open dancers (undergrads at a very liberal
                    college for the most part), but my tactic has been a) to be openly
                    enthusiastic
                    about what I'm going to teach b) never force anything down their throats c)
                    always try to do a balance of new and old stuff (an easy repetoire dance like
                    Black Alman to cement things in their heads, maybe one italian, an
                    intermediate
                    ECD and Posten's or something fast and fun) and c) take things very slowly.

                    And unfortuantely from what I've seen, they haven't quite caught on yet.
                    People
                    may not run from the room when they hear the next dance is going to be Gelosia
                    or something like that, but they don't exactly jump for joy like I've
                    witnessed
                    over Hole in the Head (oops, Wall).

                    Of course I can't speak for what's going on down south.

                    Katheri

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                      >===== Original Message From CalontirDance@egroups.com =====
                      >> >I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
                      >> >mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
                      >> >it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :)
                      >>
                      >> I couldn't agree more. It's one of my 'personal crusade'
                      >> dances that I wish
                      >> would become an SCA standard. It's also one of only two
                      >> Italian dances that
                      >> my
                      >> (overwhelmingly open and wonderful) dancers request (the
                      >> other being Petit
                      >> Riens, although I'm winning them over with Dolce Amoroso Fiamma).
                      >

                      >I agree too, but I don't know the last one (yet).

                      Soon, soon (if the music gods cooporate *laugh*).

                      I think the
                      >third one in my book is Gelosia. I think it helps some of the
                      >ECD mindset cause it sorta looks line one (at least for a little
                      >while - none of the everyone wandering all over the place.

                      Oh, but that's the glory of 15th c--all of the wonderful chase stuff. Ah....