Re: [CalontirDance] Re:Horse's Bransle

  • Becky Buchanan
    Message 1 of 10 , May 9, 2008
      That sounds interesting. We might try the "Hurried Negotiations" variant when we get more advanced. Regarding the "Korbushka clap," one of the other members of the Barony is supposed to teach Korbushka next time. She's from the Outlands and apparently, they danced Korbushka frequently out there. I can hear a "Korbushka clap" when I'm playing music, but I'm usually not looking up enough from the music to register a visual. That shall soon change.

      Emelye

      Christopher Mortika <c.mortika@...> wrote: So, what's wrong with "Horse's Bransle"? (Well, other than the
      possibility that it might be deadly dull?)

      For what it's worth, I came up with a variation of Horse's that we
      kind of liked.

      (THIS IS AN A-HISTORIC CHANGE TO THE DANCE!!)

      The second part of the dance (Stamp-stamp, single R, turn L with
      double L) is interesting enough. But the first part (double L, double
      R until even the mildly autistic dancers get bored) is just tedious.

      So, here's what we did.

      The first double L double R is as normal.

      The second time, the lead couple does ...something... and back. They
      might do three little kicks at the end. It can be a diagonal, double
      L and back out, and then R and back in. It can be a double L and
      switch places, and then a double R and switch back. It can be a turn
      L with a clap at the end, Korobushka-style. Whatever. Something.

      The third time, they repeat their move, and the second couple follows suit.

      The fourth time, al three couples dance the variation.

      Since the lead man changes each time, there are new ideas about what
      to do. That first double L, double R is usually spent in hurried
      negotiations. The lead woman needs to be pretty on-her-toes.

      --Christian

      Message 2 of 10 , May 9, 2008
        Emelye

        There is indeed nothing wrong with Horses Bransle it's just not built for the short of attention span like myself.

        The Stupid Squire Shuffle is Ly Bens Dystonis

        Re Korobushka:
        I (and many others who may speak on thier own) have been working for a long time to get this 1920's broadway take on a Russian folk dance out of the popular vernacular of the European Dancer in Calontir and the Known World. Adding it to your local repertoire and introducing it to new folks debilitates a cause near and dear to me. While it is indeed and enjoyable dance, it has about as much to do with living history of our period as the Electric Slide. Please consider this before deciding to add it to your repertoire.

        Tsire

        To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.comFrom: boltb4@...: Fri, 9 May 2008 04:59:56 -0700Subject: Re: [CalontirDance] Re:Horse's Bransle

        That sounds interesting. We might try the "Hurried Negotiations" variant when we get more advanced. Regarding the "Korbushka clap," one of the other members of the Barony is supposed to teach Korbushka next time. She's from the Outlands and apparently, they danced Korbushka frequently out there. I can hear a "Korbushka clap" when I'm playing music, but I'm usually not looking up enough from the music to register a visual. That shall soon change. EmelyeChristopher Mortika <c.mortika@...> wrote: So, what's wrong with "Horse's Bransle"? (Well, other than thepossibility that it might be deadly dull?)For what it's worth, I came up with a variation of Horse's that wekind of liked.(THIS IS AN A-HISTORIC CHANGE TO THE DANCE!!)The second part of the dance (Stamp-stamp, single R, turn L withdouble L) is interesting enough. But the first part (double L, doubleR until even the mildly autistic dancers get bored) is just tedious.So, here's what we did.The first double L double R is as normal.The second time, the lead couple does ...something... and back. Theymight do three little kicks at the end. It can be a diagonal, doubleL and back out, and then R and back in. It can be a double L andswitch places, and then a double R and switch back. It can be a turnL with a clap at the end, Korobushka-style. Whatever. Something.The third time, they repeat their move, and the second couple follows suit.The fourth time, al three couples dance the variation.Since the lead man changes each time, there are new ideas about whatto do. That first double L, double R is usually spent in hurriednegotiations. The lead woman needs to be pretty on-her-toes.--Christian---------------------------------Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • Becky Buchanan
        Message 3 of 10 , May 10, 2008
          OK Tsire - you make a good point with Korbushka. The Stupid Squire Dance/Ly Bens shall replace Korbushka for next dance practice. I was trying to fill up time with Korbushka since we don't know that many dances and one of our members already knew it. Sara Sophia couldn't make it last time to teach the new dances you taught her at Crown. Murdoch led ALL the dances in her place though. He even told the group how much dancing helps with footwork, which thereby improves fighting technique!

          Also, my friend, who used to live in the Outlands (Unser Hafen), said she used to dance something called a "Circle Waltz." I asked her to hum the tune. She couldn't remember it, but said it sounded like something you'd hear in a Chinese restaurant. Do you know what she could be talking about?

          Thanks,

          Emelye

          Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@...> wrote: Emelye

          To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.comFrom: boltb4@...: Fri, 9 May 2008 04:59:56 -0700Subject: Re: [CalontirDance] Re:Horse's Bransle

          Message 4 of 10 , May 10, 2008
            Emelye,

            I understand where you're coming from. Thanks to you and to Murdoch for putting so much energy into this. I hope that your friend will continue to explore period dancing while she is in Calontir.
            As for the Circle Waltz....it's most likely a Laendler. The Laendler is a polka/waltz country dance style that formalized over time into the waltz we know today. Documentation and woodcuts presumably depicting this dance appear to be from the 1800's or later. The interesting trivia about this one is that those who did it in the SCA used the same music and polka waltz chorography that you can see bits and pieces of in the father daughter dance and ballroom scenes of the movie The Sound of Music. Extra out of period bonus points there - folk dance, 1800's, AND from a movie! WOW! :)

            Keep up the good work guys!

          • Lady Sara Sophia von Kolmar
            Message 5 of 10 , May 10, 2008
              Emelye,

              I'm sorry I didn't make it last time. Playdate plans got changed too late for me to make other arrangements for Nathaniel. Next time I may just try bringing a 6 year old and see if he likes dance. :-D

              I will try to have Ly Bens worked up for next time. :-) I learned so many dances at Crown, I'm not sure I can remember them all. :-)

              Sara Sophia

              To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 10 , May 13, 2008
                I want to start off by saying thankyou to everyone that is teaching this year at Lilies! I know that it is going to be a great summer for dance and fun. Attached is the completed dance class list as was comunicated to the Lilies staff. A few minor adjustments had to be made as some things needed to be held at the perminant shelter as well. Please look it over. Thanks again, and I will see you there! Helena.

              • lucia_b3r
                Message 7 of 10 , May 13, 2008
                  Helena, is there a chance you could mail me the attachment
                  directly?? I'd love to be able to pick up all the dance & music
                  class info from it.

                  Thanks,
                  Lucia

                  --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Sullentrup
                  <kell100312@...> wrote:

                  > I want to start off by saying thankyou to everyone that is
                  teaching this year at Lilies! I know that it is going to be a great
                  summer for dance and fun. Attached is the completed dance class list
                  as was comunicated to the Lilies staff. A few minor adjustments had
                  to be made as some things needed to be held at the perminant shelter
                  as well. Please look it over. Thanks again, and I will see you
                  there! Helena.

                • Chris Lewis
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 13, 2008
                    She's in class right now, but I'll mention it tonight or in the morning to
                    her :-)

                    -Roberto

                    _____

                    --- In CalontirDance@ <mailto:CalontirDance%40yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 13, 2008
                      I am sorry, I was unaware that they group did not transfer attachments. I will try to cut and paste it on the actuall email.

                      MON WED FRI SAT 1 The Odd Itialians Ball Review Balli Itallian for Beginners Intermediate Various Basic Basic Her Ladyship Rowan Houndskeeper of Three Rivers Their Ladyships Rowan and Tsiri Her Ladyship Tsire Tuzevo Lady Ingeborg Ulfsdottir European Dance Requests from the Ball List European Dance European Dance 2 English Country for Three Couples Ball Review Cascaide Flirting Dances Basic Various Intermediate Intermediate Lady Arina Their Ladyships Rowan and Tsiri Her Ladyship Tsire Tuzevo Lady Azenari Basandere European Dance Requests from the Ball List European Dance European Dance 3 Progressions Ball Review Two Italian Dances for Three Couples Progressions Basic Various Advanced Basic Her Ladyship Tsire Tuzevo Their Ladyships Rowan and Tsiri Master Conrad Martin von Kassel Lady Alessandra de Piro European Dance Requests from the Ball List
                      European Dance European Dance
                      TUE 11 English Country Square Dances Basic Her Ladyship Rowan Houndskeeper of Three Rivers European Dance 12 Beginning English Country Dances Basic Lord Ermenrich von Duisberg European Dance 2 Bransles Basic Master Conrad Martin von Kassel European Dance THUR 11 New English Country Dances Basic His Lordship Cathus the Curious European Dance 12 English Country for Three Couples Basic Lady Arina European Dance 2 Bassa Intermediate His Lordship Cathus the Curious European Dance