"period" Scottish dance?

  • Becky Buchanan
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      Have a question. Murdoch and I are co-autocrating Cattle Raids, Aug 23-24, and the theme is "Scots versus English." I thought we could have some English and Scottish dancing at the event. Lots of English Country out there, so that's not a problem. However, would tunes like "Scottish Bransle" be considered period Scottish dances? Is there such a thing? I know we have "Scotland the Brave" and "Mairi's Wedding" in the SCA repetoire, which I don't believe are period, but they're definitely Scottish. Any guidance on actual period Scottish dance?

      Thanks,

      Emelye