RE: [CalontirDance] Lilies Classes

  • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
    Message 1 of 18 , May 3, 2000
      >Just a couple of thoughts from an exiled Calontiri...
      >
      >I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
      >mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
      >it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :)

      I couldn't agree more. It's one of my 'personal crusade' dances that I wish
      would become an SCA standard. It's also one of only two Italian dances that
      my
      (overwhelmingly open and wonderful) dancers request (the other being Petit
      Riens, although I'm winning them over with Dolce Amoroso Fiamma).

      >don't know how the dance world is over in Calontir anymore, but in
      >this dance-backwater kingdom we tend to have resistance to the later
      >Italians.

      Grrr... this is definately true in C d'E (right Tsire?) and even a bit here in
      NoMountain where we have unusually open folk. Does anyone know how this
      started? Who gave Italian a bad reputation (I must know so that I can set
      some
      large-fanged animals loose in their pavillion at Pennsic)

      I have found though that Villanella goes over really well.
      >I taught it to complete dance beginners at our last Kingdom Dance and
      >Rapier Collegium. I found that if you point out that ssd ssd
      >structure in the second thru fourth verses as being just
      >like "Carolingian Pavane"
      >and the continenze, 2 riprese, riverenza as a "chorus", it sticks in
      >learners' heads better. The only problem we had was with the
      >saltarello circle-countercircle maneuveur in the last verse. Other
      >than that, it went really well. :)

      Hmmm... I'll keep this in mind, although I generally don't try to teach
      Italian
      by analogy with ECD or other more familiar stuff. It just somehow seems wrong
      in a couple of gut reaction sort of ways. Mostly I think it's because I
      didn't
      learn that way, but also trying to fit Italian into molds where it can almost,
      but not quite, fit, seems counterproductive. If people are going to enjoy
      Italian dance it probably isn't going to be because it's like Rufty Tufty, but
      because they like it *despite* its not being Rufty Tufty. Just my two cents
      your millage may vary, and all the other usual disclaimers. I'll *definately*
      keep those hints in mind as one never knows what will help someone who is
      having
      lots of problems understanding GET a dance.

      Oh, and another word of advice
      >(from the experience of our Kingdom danceminister) - never describe
      >Bizzaria as "straightforward". That word is now banned at all kingdom
      >and baronial dance practices. ;)

      *laugh*. I'll keep that in mind.

      >As for other 15th century, I'm not sure what you're thinking yet, but
      >how about Leoncello, Pellegrina (basse danse type), Anello, Verceppe
      >or Gratioso? (I don't have my little black book o' dance with me at
      >the moment or I could give you a better list. :)

      Could do Leoncello or Anello, Verceppe, Pellegrina, and Gratioso I don't know
      yet. I picked up my repetoire in the Midrealm, from some friends of Mistress
      Rosina's, but their 15th c. rep is actually quite small. I'm hopeing to pick
      up
      some more at Pennsic directly from Rosina!

      >I kinda miss Saltarello (La Regina) - I'm trying to introduce it out
      >here. :) But, you know, it's one of those *gasp* Italian names! Which
      >of course, as we all know, instantly makes it 200 times more
      >difficult than Heart's Ease. ;)

      *laugh*. Ok, appropriate time to tell my technique for getting people to
      dance
      SLR. I refer to it constantly as the 'kamikaze bunny hop dance of doom' (this
      is because the CD set I have has SLR repeated three times in a row getting
      progressively faster). Amazingly enough people not only didn't run away from
      that description, but they actually came to practice to see what the heck I
      was
      going on about!

      >Lady Julian ferch Rhys
      >late of Shire of Standing Stones
      >now dance minister for Barony of Atenveldt, Atenveldt

      SO does that mean you're in Phoenix? I imagine you've already met my friend
      who
      is living in Tucson (ack, I can never remember how to spell the name of the
      group down there) Dave/Bartello(I think). If not, you should. If so, he'll
      dance SLR or Rosti Boli with you anytime, just do me a favor and say that
      Katherine from Calontir sent you and everything will be alright!

      Katherine
      (who appologizes for all the list-cluttering chitchat, but that's just

      Cathy Dean Katherine Mercer
      Grinnell College Seneschal, College of NoMountain
      deanc@... Calontir
      http://home.earthlink.net/~lfdean
      Knowledge is Power; Power Corrupts; Study Hard; Be Evil
    • Kirsten Garner
      Message 2 of 18 , May 5, 2000
        Hi all. :)

        > I couldn't agree more. It's one of my 'personal crusade' dances
        that I wish
        > would become an SCA standard. It's also one of only two Italian
        dances that
        > my
        > (overwhelmingly open and wonderful) dancers request (the other
        being Petit
        > Riens, although I'm winning them over with Dolce Amoroso Fiamma).

        I've got a two-person version of Petit Vriens which I occasionally
        throw on to confuse our kingdom dance minister. :) But that's beside
        the point. :)

        We're having some good success with Amoroso surprisingly. Master
        Niccolo of Artemisia came down and taught it to some beginners at the
        Kingdom Dance and Rapier Collegium and it's really caught on. I've
        had lots of requests for it lately. And in a kingdom where the
        prevailing dance request is "Anything except Italian" and/or "Can we
        do Hole in the Wall?", that's pretty cheering. :)

        > Does anyone know how this
        > started? Who gave Italian a bad reputation

        I wish I knew. We do have some prominent people out here who are
        against them, but I guess that it may be because it's got a
        vocabulary that stretches beyond single, double, side, arm, set and
        turn. People seem to resist having to learn something "fur'n". (Yes,
        I'm originally from Arkansas :). Plus, out here, there's been a long
        tradition of completely OOP dances done. And those that are "period"
        (quotes because I'm including ECD here), have some very odd
        mutations. It makes things interesting when you come in and try to
        teach what you know only to have people come back at you with "that's
        wrong" or "that's not how we do it here". I just recently had someone
        call into question the handholds that I teach (i.e., low, not high).
        He said "That's how Master xxxx, our premier Laurel, says it should
        be done." I told him "Well, he's wrong" and went on to cite sources
        and show him illuminations to the contrary. But it does make things a
        little frustrating at times between that and the prevailing "Italians
        are incredibly hard, and only dance laurels can do them" attitude. :(

        > Hmmm... I'll keep this in mind, although I generally don't try to
        teach
        > Italian
        > by analogy with ECD or other more familiar stuff.

        Out here, it's almost the only way to fly. :( Well, to get people to
        try it. After a while, I start slipping back into Italian, but most
        people seem to accept it by then.

        > but also trying to fit Italian into molds where it can almost,
        > but not quite, fit, seems counterproductive.

        Out here it's a case of "I don't know what a doppio is, and I don't
        want to know. Oh? A *double*? OH! I can do that!"

        > I'll *definately*
        > keep those hints in mind as one never knows what will help someone
        who is
        > having
        > lots of problems understanding GET a dance.

        This is one of the reasons I go to a lot of beginner classes when I
        travel. I may know all the dances, but you never know when someone
        else might have a way cool way of explaining things. :) And God
        knows, I'm still learning to teach after all these years. ;)

        > Could do Leoncello or Anello, Verceppe, Pellegrina, and Gratioso I
        don't know
        > yet.

        Another thing I thought of - if you've got a group who are willing to
        try new and different things, you might could try Mercantia. Good
        flirting potential and interesting theatrics. :)

        > I'm hopeing to pick
        > up
        > some more at Pennsic directly from Rosina!

        Rosina and I have some sometimes quite varying viewpoints on
        reconstructions and steps! :)

        > *laugh*. Ok, appropriate time to tell my technique for getting
        people to
        > dance
        > SLR. I refer to it constantly as the 'kamikaze bunny hop dance of
        doom'

        OK - now *that* I'm definitely going to have to remember! :)

        > I imagine you've already met my friend
        > who
        > is living in Tucson Dave/Bartello(I think).

        Yep - he came to our Dance Collegium last year before he ever moved
        out here. :) We love him out here!! I'll tell him we chatted. :) Cool!

        Julian
      • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
        Message 3 of 18 , May 5, 2000
          Greetings again.

          >I've got a two-person version of Petit Vriens which I occasionally
          >throw on to confuse our kingdom dance minister. :) But that's beside
          >the point. :)

          Oooh... feel like shareing? I'm curious now (having helped choreograph a six
          person version of Rufty Tufty when we had too many people for the regular
          dance!)

          >We're having some good success with Amoroso surprisingly. Master
          >Niccolo of Artemisia came down and taught it to some beginners at the
          >Kingdom Dance and Rapier Collegium and it's really caught on. I've
          >had lots of requests for it lately. And in a kingdom where the
          >prevailing dance request is "Anything except Italian" and/or "Can we
          >do Hole in the Wall?", that's pretty cheering. :)

          So I hear! It actually gives one a sense of hope! I really think more people
          would enjoy Italian if they would just give it a chance--very flirtatious and
          goodness knows there are enough flirts int he SCA to make things like that
          quite
          popular indeed!

          >> but also trying to fit Italian into molds where it can almost,
          >> but not quite, fit, seems counterproductive.
          >
          >Out here it's a case of "I don't know what a doppio is, and I don't
          >want to know. Oh? A *double*? OH! I can do that!"

          Oh, ok I will sometimes translate terms into English, but more often than not
          rather than translate the step names (which can be pretty silly sounding) I
          just
          clip them off. Spezz and Trab rather than spezzati and trabuchetti come to
          mind
          immediately. Things with silly little names are less intimidating, I guess :)

          >> Could do Leoncello or Anello, Verceppe, Pellegrina, and Gratioso I
          >don't know
          >> yet.
          >
          >Another thing I thought of - if you've got a group who are willing to
          >try new and different things, you might could try Mercantia. Good
          >flirting potential and interesting theatrics. :)

          Ok. HOpefully I can get my crew to try it over the summer when we don't have
          homework and can have two hour dance practices.

          >> I'm hopeing to pick
          >> up
          >> some more at Pennsic directly from Rosina!
          >
          >Rosina and I have some sometimes quite varying viewpoints on
          >reconstructions and steps! :)

          Well you still have to admit she's a very nifty person! Seriously, though,
          I'd
          be interested to know where you differ. I've got a copy of the big blue book
          of
          15th c. dance treatises in my room right now and have just started poking
          through it.

          >> *laugh*. Ok, appropriate time to tell my technique for getting
          >people to
          >> dance
          >> SLR. I refer to it constantly as the 'kamikaze bunny hop dance of
          >doom'
          >
          >OK - now *that* I'm definitely going to have to remember! :)

          Ok, but I'm not sure whether I really want the blame/credit for that if it
          catches on *laugh*.

          >> I imagine you've already met my friend
          >> who
          >> is living in Tucson Dave/Bartello(I think).
          >
          >Yep - he came to our Dance Collegium last year before he ever moved
          >out here. :) We love him out here!! I'll tell him we chatted. :) Cool!

          *laugh* It's a small small society we're living in. I wonder how many steps
          it
          takes before every dance master/mistress in the known world is connected to
          every other one.

          Katherine

          Message 4 of 18 , May 5, 2000
            Hi! :)
            >> two-person version of Petit Riens
            > Oooh... feel like shareing? I'm curious now

            If you go to amazon.co.uk, they have a re-issue of a CD called "A la
            Ferrarese" which has that version on it. It's also got music you can
            use for Patience, Cupido and Dampnes. :)

            > So I hear! It actually gives one a sense of hope! I really think
            more people
            > would enjoy Italian if they would just give it a chance--very
            flirtatious and
            > goodness knows there are enough flirts int he SCA to make things
            like that
            > quite
            > popular indeed!

            I've been working on stressing the "flirtation" thing out here.
            Sometimes it seems like people only think they can flirt in Hole in
            the Wall and Mannschaft. Amoroso at least has been going some way
            towards remedying that. I guess they think that on the whole Italians
            are too difficult to think about flirting in. Which, in a way, I can
            understand since I used to be scared of them too. But, I guess it
            just takes time and patience. :)

            > Oh, ok I will sometimes translate terms into English, but more
            often than not
            > rather than translate the step names (which can be pretty silly
            sounding) I
            > just
            > clip them off.

            Oh yeah - names that don't have ready English translations just stay
            in Italian. :) I can't see myself calling for a "broken sequence"
            when I can just say "spezzato". :) Although I have been known to
            call "spezzati" "scoochy steps" just to get my point across. :)
            However, that's only for teaching! After the first inital run-
            throughs, it's back to Italian! :)

            >> Mercantia
            > Ok. HOpefully I can get my crew to try it over the summer when we
            don't have
            > homework and can have two hour dance practices.

            It's not overly difficult once you get the idea behind it. What's
            really fun is to work it and Sobria up to be performed together. :)
            Marketplace (where the lady dances with everyone - trying them out,
            as it were) and Sobriety (where she only dances with her partner and
            everyone else tries to pick her up). :) They look really good with a
            lot of facial expression and drama. :) I think the dance part is
            almost secondary. :)

            > Well you still have to admit she's a very nifty person! Seriously,
            though,
            > I'd
            > be interested to know where you differ. I've got a copy of the big
            blue book
            > of
            > 15th c. dance treatises in my room right now and have just started
            poking
            > through it.

            Smith? Great resource! :) I've reconstructed so much stuff out of
            that book! :) Not to mention that the first volume is excellent for
            theory. :) (Volume II is back in print, if you weren't aware of that
            yet. :)

            Rosina and I differ on things like riprese, pive and contrepassi. Oh,
            and salterelli. :) We also have some serious differences on
            reconstruction in some of the dances. She does some things that seem
            to me to be really wierd. But that's kinda the thing about dance
            reconstruction - what I see in the source and work out in performance
            may not be what she sees or you see or anyone else sees. The only
            thing we can do is try to keep it intact with the sources themselves.
            However, she and I do have some absolutely reverse ways of looking at
            things sometimes. :)

            > *laugh* It's a small small society we're living in. I wonder how
            many steps
            > it
            > takes before every dance master/mistress in the known world is
            connected to
            > every other one.

            Sounds like an experiment to me! :) Let's see...I know Conrad (hi
            Conrad!), Bartolo, Mistress Caitlin de Courcy, Wolfgang Adolphus
            Jaeger, Greg (gb)(and that's a story and a half), Master Niccolo and
            the people here.... I'm sure that should get us at least half-way to
            everyone else. ;) Heehee - the 7 degrees of <insert name here> -
            could be a great party game for Pennsic! :)

            I have a question for y'all out there in Calontir. How have you
            managed to get the Italians to catch on? I remember when I was out
            there, we predominately did ECD and Arbeau. What things have worked
            for you? :) (I'm desperately searching for new things to try out
            here. :)

            Julian
            Message 5 of 18 , May 8, 2000
              > Hi Conrad (et all..)

              Well, better late than never :)

              > All this talk about Lillies makes me wish I could actually get there
              > this year! :)

              Hrumph! I came out to your war ;)

              > Just a couple of thoughts from an exiled Calontiri...
              >
              > I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
              > mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
              > it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :) I
              > don't know how the dance world is over in Calontir anymore, but in
              > this dance-backwater kingdom we tend to have resistance to the later
              > Italians.

              I wouldn't say thare is specific resistance to any dance form.
              This is not necessarilly a good thing, becaue its mostly that
              the (relatively few) actually interested in dance will try most
              anything. But hte numbers are starting to grow. Of the 9 weekends
              in april and may, dancing has been on the schedule of at least
              5 events!

              > Makes me wish I could be there this year. What are the classes
              > shaping up like for the KWASS?

              stay tuned :)

              > PS: Conrad - last count was 121 dances! Where are you? ;)

              That you know? Have music for?
              I have no idea.

              Message 6 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                > >I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
                > >mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
                > >it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :)
                >
                > I couldn't agree more. It's one of my 'personal crusade'
                > dances that I wish
                > would become an SCA standard. It's also one of only two
                > Italian dances that
                > my
                > (overwhelmingly open and wonderful) dancers request (the
                > other being Petit
                > Riens, although I'm winning them over with Dolce Amoroso Fiamma).

                I agree too, but I don't know the last one (yet). I think the
                third one in my book is Gelosia. I think it helps some of the
                ECD mindset cause it sorta looks line one (at least for a little
                while - none of the everyone wandering all over the place.

                Message 7 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                  > I've got a two-person version of Petit Vriens which I occasionally
                  > throw on to confuse our kingdom dance minister. :) But that's beside
                  > the point. :)

                  Aparently someone back east has reconstruced and created music for
                  petit rose (a 2 person dance).

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                    > Sounds like an experiment to me! :) Let's see...I know Conrad (hi
                    > Conrad!), Bartolo, Mistress Caitlin de Courcy, Wolfgang Adolphus
                    > Jaeger, Greg (gb)(and that's a story and a half), Master Niccolo and
                    > the people here.... I'm sure that should get us at least half-way to
                    > everyone else. ;) Heehee - the 7 degrees of <insert name here> -
                    > could be a great party game for Pennsic! :)

                    Its more like 2 or 3. My list; Alphia, Sion, Faelen, Rosenore, Alina,
                    Rosina, Philipe, Gregory, Giuseppe, William Redcape, Guiiliam,
                    Perenell (sp?), Nicoolo, Julian, Del all the calontir people etc.

                    Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last year :)

                    > I have a question for y'all out there in Calontir. How have you
                    > managed to get the Italians to catch on? I remember when I was out
                    > there, we predominately did ECD and Arbeau. What things have worked
                    > for you? :) (I'm desperately searching for new things to try out
                    > here. :)

                    Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
                    if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they like
                    and like what they know.

                    Conrad
                  • Kirsten Garner
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                      Hi all..

                      > > All this talk about Lillies makes me wish I could actually get
                      there
                      > > this year! :)
                      >
                      > Hrumph! I came out to your war ;)

                      I know, bad Julian. :) Just mark it down to another instance of
                      Tristram and I avoiding each other. ;)

                      > > PS: Conrad - last count was 121 dances! Where are you? ;)
                      >
                      > That you know? Have music for?

                      That I know, can dance and have music for. :) That's counting the 4
                      15th-century Italians that I put together last week. :)

                      It's amazing what one can do when one is avoiding a PhD. :)

                      Julian
                    • Kirsten Garner
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                        Hi again... :)

                        > Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last
                        year :)

                        Next time... well, maybe if it ever gets out this way. I don't know
                        if I can afford Boston. :)

                        > Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
                        > if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they
                        like
                        > and like what they know.

                        That's what I've been doing. I landed in Atenveldt, went to a dance
                        practice that Friday night and ended up teaching two classes at the
                        Kingdom Dance Collegium (the next day - Saturday). It's been downhill
                        ever since. ;) I'm now baronial dance minister for the barony (and
                        it's a HUGE barony - scared the mess out of me when I first got
                        here). I run two dance practices a month and at events. The problem
                        is that there was already *some* dance out here (mostly OOP and some
                        ECD) which is what people want to do. There is heavy resistance to
                        Italians. So..I try to work around that as well as I can -
                        introducing easy Italians very very very slowly. There's also the
                        ever-present "Can we do X dance?". A good example is Contrapasso
                        Nuovo. To which the answer is inevitably "Which version? Caroso Il
                        Ballarino, Caroso Nobilita, Negri, Master dance laurel's version, or
                        some other odd creation?". No one knows, but when you try to
                        introduce the one you know, the response is, wait for it, "That's not
                        how we do it". It's kinda frustrating at times. So I'm open for
                        suggestions. :)

                        Julian
                      • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                          >> > PS: Conrad - last count was 121 dances! Where are you? ;)
                          >>
                          >> That you know? Have music for?
                          >
                          >That I know, can dance and have music for. :) That's counting the 4
                          >15th-century Italians that I put together last week. :)
                          >
                          >It's amazing what one can do when one is avoiding a PhD. :)
                          >
                          >Julian

                          OOh, I'm somewhat in awe. I just catalogued mine and it ended up only in the
                          mid-40s (and that was being generous counting things I'd need a bit of review
                          before teaching, but not counting the Inns of Court stuff).

                          But then I'm only avoiding a bachelor's!

                          Katherine

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                            >===== Original Message From CalontirDance@egroups.com =====
                            >> Sounds like an experiment to me! :) Let's see...I know Conrad (hi
                            >> Conrad!), Bartolo, Mistress Caitlin de Courcy, Wolfgang Adolphus
                            >> Jaeger, Greg (gb)(and that's a story and a half), Master Niccolo and
                            >> the people here.... I'm sure that should get us at least half-way to
                            >> everyone else. ;) Heehee - the 7 degrees of -
                            >> could be a great party game for Pennsic! :)
                            >
                            >Its more like 2 or 3. My list; Alphia, Sion, Faelen, Rosenore, Alina,
                            >Rosina, Philipe, Gregory, Giuseppe, William Redcape, Guiiliam,
                            >Perenell (sp?), Nicoolo, Julian, Del all the calontir people etc.

                            Hmmm... how well do we need to know dance instructors for them to count?
                            There
                            are a few who I could probably count as people I know but wouldn't want to
                            (sorry, getting catty for a moment, no one here in Calontir, thank goodness!)

                            So... People I really know: Conrad, Tsire, Daria (in Calontir), Bartolo (in
                            Atenvelt), Alina, Llewellyn, and the rest of the Cynnabar crew (in the
                            Midrealm), Theodorin, Anne, and (briefly) Melusine (in Drachenwald). Must
                            network more....

                            >Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last year :)

                            New year for sure. Already budgeting for a plane ticket.

                            >> I have a question for y'all out there in Calontir. How have you
                            >> managed to get the Italians to catch on? I remember when I was out
                            >> there, we predominately did ECD and Arbeau. What things have worked
                            >> for you? :) (I'm desperately searching for new things to try out
                            >> here. :)
                            >
                            >Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
                            >if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they like
                            >and like what they know.

                            Well, I've been blessed with very open dancers (undergrads at a very liberal
                            college for the most part), but my tactic has been a) to be openly
                            enthusiastic
                            about what I'm going to teach b) never force anything down their throats c)
                            always try to do a balance of new and old stuff (an easy repetoire dance like
                            Black Alman to cement things in their heads, maybe one italian, an
                            intermediate
                            ECD and Posten's or something fast and fun) and c) take things very slowly.

                            And unfortuantely from what I've seen, they haven't quite caught on yet.
                            People
                            may not run from the room when they hear the next dance is going to be Gelosia
                            or something like that, but they don't exactly jump for joy like I've
                            witnessed
                            over Hole in the Head (oops, Wall).

                            Of course I can't speak for what's going on down south.

                            Katheri

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                              >===== Original Message From CalontirDance@egroups.com =====
                              >> >I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
                              >> >mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
                              >> >it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :)
                              >>
                              >> I couldn't agree more. It's one of my 'personal crusade'
                              >> dances that I wish
                              >> would become an SCA standard. It's also one of only two
                              >> Italian dances that
                              >> my
                              >> (overwhelmingly open and wonderful) dancers request (the
                              >> other being Petit
                              >> Riens, although I'm winning them over with Dolce Amoroso Fiamma).
                              >

                              >I agree too, but I don't know the last one (yet).

                              Soon, soon (if the music gods cooporate *laugh*).

                              I think the
                              >third one in my book is Gelosia. I think it helps some of the
                              >ECD mindset cause it sorta looks line one (at least for a little
                              >while - none of the everyone wandering all over the place.

                              Oh, but that's the glory of 15th c--all of the wonderful chase stuff. Ah....

                              Katherine