      From: Tsire Tuzevo
      To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:26 PM
      Subject: [CalontirDance] Troika & Other dances sent to the farm

      Christian and List

      argh! star trek! I spit hot coffee! Too funny.

      and now for the serious portion of our show....

      To send a dance out to the farm where it can play out it's remaining years is a great thing. This is, believe it or not, my favored method of making more period dance happen. As vocal as I seem about topic, you will rarely find me on lists discussing it, and you will never find me discussing it unbidden.

      Here is the major place that I get stuck. If you don't teach a dance and don't mention a dance, what do you do when someone asks you specifically why you don't do it? Well, I try to explain why I made that choice and why it makes sense for me. I try to be rational and factual and gently make my point. However, when I do this, I am met with whining, complaining, incendiary language, frustration, anger, and endless mind-numbing, antactid-requiring debates.

      It baffles me that my opinion and explanation of my choices can seem so much like 'fightin' words' to some. It confuses me further that a bid to do more period things in a history club is seen as such a negative thing. I've never asked that people stop doing these dances altogether. I've asked that people be educated as to what they really are doing. I've asked them to think critically about the choices they make. I choose not to dance, teach, include in a ball list, or otherwise encourage the propagation of out of period dances. It's my opinion, I'm entitled to it. If you ask me about it, I'll tell you. If you don't, I won't.

      How am I the bad guy here?

      Any help from any of you on this list would be appreciated here. I really want to know how to get my opinion across and to encourage period dance while never again being revered to as a Nazi.

      Tsire
      The tired, frustrated, antacid chomping dance monkey.