902Re: [CalontirDance] Recommended Dance Music CDs?

  • Catherine Dean
    Oct 11, 2007
      Hi Merry,

      Part of my point was that you may not legally be able to record a new
      version of that tune--I assume it is protected by copyright by Mannheim
      Steamroller and that some sort of royalty would need to be paid.

      You could try dancing it to another tune in six, though, if you
      want (LaVolta might work, although I'm not sure about the repeat structure).

      I'm totally in favor of more instrumental recordings of period music. It's
      even better if you're willing to freely distribute them! (I know some
      musicians who do this for hard to find tracks and it's a great service to
      the dance community).

      On 10/11/07, 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre <
      Merry@...> wrote:

      > I agree with all you've said and as I said... I already bought that
      > track off of Itunes..... but here's the thing.. I really like it and if
      > there were enough others out there who liked it as well and we had a
      > decent arrangement, I'd very much like to record it _not_ using a
      > computer as Mannheim Steamroller did. But it was also just an
      > example. I know there are other tunes out there that are period that we
      > perhaps lack instrumental recordings and have only a midi type recording
      > for use at dance practices... Tsire played one for us in Jefferson
      > City. It made my ears bleed but it was a fun dance. I hate comp music.
      >
      > Catherine Dean wrote:
      > > The dance was choreographed to Toota Lute, so no I don't know of any
      > other
      > > music that works with DRP
      > >
      > > (from Eric's page):
      > >
      > > The usual tune for this dance is "Toota Lute" on Mannheim Steamrollers'
      > > "Fresh Aire II".
      > > According to the proceedings of the Ansteorran Kingdom Dance Workshop
      > > (1990), Duchess Rondallynn's Pavan was choreographed by Rhonda Johnson
      > and
      > > Denny Psalia of Atlanta, Georgia.
      > >
      > > http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/dances/Eric/DuchessRondallynnP.txt
      > >
      > > me again:
      > >
      > > Be aware that this dance is a modern choerography, and one that
      > (apologies
      > > to Rhonda and Denny) has not stood the test of time as a particularly
      > > authentic one, at least as I have seen it taught and danced--these
      > things do
      > > change over time (just ask Signy on SCA Dance about the Turkish Branle,
      > now
      > > more commonly called the SCA Maltese Branle). I think a LOT of musicians
      > > shy away from rerecording modern music for "period" style modern
      > > choreographies not only because it is questionable how well they fit
      > within
      > > our mission as an organization but also because the music is almost
      > > certainly protected by copyright and cannot be recorded freely as a
      > period
      > > tune can.
      > >
      > > Just my two cents.
      > >
      > > Katherine
      > >

      > > On 10/11/07, 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre <
      > > Merry@... <Merry%40shireofstandingstones.org>>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > >> Thank you and Rowan both.
      > >>
      > >> Do we have good music for Dutchess Rosalynd's Pavane? I bought Toota
      > >> Lute on iTunes but I hate computer generated music (I've been nearly
      > >> killed by electronic Uilleann Pipes in the 'get all zenlike' display
      > >> near the candles in Walmart.... it's JUST WRONG).
      > >>
      > >> If we do I'd like to see if I could get a group of musicians together
      > at
      > >> some dance event and see if we can record several takes of it onto a
      > >> multi-track media for later mixdown.... I'd bring a mixing board and
      > >> some Audio Technica 6100s or similar and we could make a real recording
> [...]

      Catherine E. Dean
      Historically Inspired Designs
      Handmade Jewelry for History Buffs
      http://historicallyinspired.googlepages.com