890Re: [CalontirDance] Kemps Jeg

  • 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
    Sep 23, 2007
      How much longer must we play, we don't really have all day;
      We musicians want more pay, End This Dance!

      Can't you tell that we are bored, though we have your cash, Good Lord,
      6 more times you can't afford, End This Dance

      Violinist's fingers bleed, Rackett player splits his reed,
      Grief unending we don't need, Up The Fee!

      Dancers now have their second wind, kindly me your bare bodkin lend,
      Mercy will this hell never end?, End This Dance.

      Judging by that, Musicians are completely bribable.

      I don't have this music in my packet.. Is it something common, or is it
      something that I could notate in Finale to be at all helpful? If it is
      available, I would love a copy for our local group.

      Sauer, Michael F. wrote:

      > Kemps Jeg
      >
      > This was a fun new dance and we made it work ok last night but is very
      > much a work in progress. To move it forward I offer the following.
      > Please forward to any who you think might be interested who are not on
      > this list - especially any who participated last night,
      >
      > First of all the music listed is 16 bars. This is for one repeat of a
      > single man's pass. It repeats 3 times for each man in each verse (9
      > times overall).
      > Thsts 27 repeats for the entire dance - we may have to bribe the
      > musicians to play it :)
      >
      > Verse 1
      >
      > (8) One man lead in two women forwards and back twice. - Exactly as
      > was done - though I'm not sure if the man should be leading towards
      > one of the other man (i.e. the 'taunting') If the active man leads
      > toward the inactive lady you have a line of 3 facing 3 - opposite
      > genders facing. It also means he will be more oriented toward the
      > woman he will turn at the end. There is no direct indication in
      > playford so this is just conjecture either way.
      > (2) Honor to one - first man honor one woman {partner?]}
      > (2) Honor the other - first man honor other woman [of the 2 he lead in
      > with] {contrary}
      > (4) Turn the third - Exactly as done
      >
      > The next phrase indicates how the progression works
      >
      > (8) Lead your own with you left hand and the woman you turned,
      >
      > This indicates that women 1 and 3 are active for the second repeat and
      > tha active man's partner is on the left (she was
      > on the right for the first pass).
      >
      > It also follows that as your are turning the third woman, you keep
      > holding right hands as you come out of the turn and
      > will be standing in front of the third man (facing away from him)
      >
      > (8) and as much - this will leave the active man in front of the
      > second man, with the third lady on his left and second lady oh his right.
      > {this leaves the men progressing around the set counter clock wise}
      >
      > (16) Then as much with the other two women, turning your own -
      > finishes off the first man's cycle ending with his own partner.
      >
      > (48) The next man as much
      >
      > (48) Then the third man as much
      >
      > Verse 2
      >
      > This verse is a little less clear, it think we almost got it right.
      >
      > (8) First man lead the women as before - to me this sounds like the
      > full up and back twice from the first verse
      > (4) Turn half around, holding both hands, and with his own as much to
      > the other - this is not very clear. The
      > 'and with his own as much to the other' to me implies 2 moves. At
      > first I thought about two hand half turns first with
      > partner then woman 2. But a half turn with his partner does not put
      > the man in a position to half turn woman 2.
      > The other possibility that comes to mind is 2 half turns in a circle,
      > each taking 2 measures. This leaves both
      > ladies in their original positions and the first man facing the third
      > lady for he turn. Again the 'and with his own
> [...]

      // Merry

      "Merry" Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
      Shire of Standing Stones, University of Missouri at Columbia
      Formerly known as Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
      Mundanely known as Christian M. Cepel