697Anybody have a review of this label? && Bawdy Songs

  • Christian M. Cepel
    Jan 20, 2006
      http://www.lyrichord.com/

      I've had a cd for the last several years that I've loved, but never
      actually looked into seeing who the group was and trying to start a love
      affair with them like I have The Baltimore Consort.

      The CD: Lems 8018 Minstrelsy: Songs & Dances of the Renaissance & Baroque.

      Specifically, it has the 6 gavottes that were the first thing I learned
      to play in the SCA and still remain my favorites.

      I'm still not sure if it's a group, or just a collaboration for this
      label or what (It's rather hard to get to know a band that's not a band
      from one day to the next.)

      Ahh... answered my own questions, sort of...

      The cd is here:
      http://www.lyrichord.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=28

      I've finally clued in to LEMS being an acronym for "Lyrichord Early
      Music Series"

      Minstrelsy is the name of the Minneapolis based group... Here's a quote:

      ... Baltimore Consort, watch out. You'd better keep on your toes
      because Minstrelsy is here!
      The Minneapolis based group Minstrelsy! consists of five accomplished
      musicians (Nancy Froseth, viola da gamba, recorders, David Hays, baroque
      violin, Carole Hofstad-Lee, soprano, David Livingston, winds, and
      Phillip Rukavina, lutes) who specialize in historically informed
      performances of music composed during the Medieval, Renaissance and
      Baroque eras. This stunning recording includes works by Rosseter, Lawes,
      Dowland, Arne, Praetorius, Campion and Pachelbel (no, NOT the piece you
      think!) Minstrelsy's reputation for precise ensemble work and musical
      variety is already well established from their many concerts tours
      throughout the US., and is a real highlight of their first LEMS CD.
      Combinations of recorder, violin, voice, pardessus de viole, etc., are
      supported by a "plucked" basso continuo section of archlute and bass
      viola da gamba. The musical fabric is intimate, lively and full of
      color. Minstrelsy! possibly the midwest's finest gift to the world of
      music!...

      So... my questions are... Anybody familiar with the group and the label
      and have any opinion of either, especially as regards to the SCA?

      ... oh... just got a copy of The Baltimore Consort: The art of the bawdy
      song off ebay and took a listen... Purcell was a dirty minded fella,
      wasn't he? He's a bit later than period (1659-1695), but I'm
      wondering... were there many examples of the bawdy song in SCA period?
      I remember studying Opera Buffa, and the Chanson de geste, but I don't
      recall when they had their beginnings.