350Re: [CalontirDance] dance reconstruction criteria

  • Amy and Bill Morris
    Jul 21 2:01 PM
      Three thoughts on simplistic court dances...

      1) It can be argued persuasively that one reason our records of many court
      dances are simplistic are that they are a base form upon which improvisation
      may be done. Glancing at Arbeau quickly I got improvisation recommended for
      pavane, galliard, lavolta, alman, double branle. And that is without a
      close reading. Doubtless the same is true for some other dances if not for
      all.

      N.B. Yes, this does mean that too close following of the written sources can
      result in a less authentic dance, for certain dances.

      The dance reconstructer thus should also be able to include allowable
      variations, at what points in the music which variations can be done, and in
      couple dances how one partner would signal the other partner that a
      particular variation. For example Arbeau's description of how to lead in
      Lavolta begs for clarification.

      2) Yes some dances are more complex then others, and therefore have
      potentially higher scores in the complexity category then others. (As
      Conrad notes this is not a problem limited to dance, some competitions have
      even removed complexity from the criteria, or kept it but not added it in to
      the overall score) Remember that you can include complementary material
      when it is relevant, not just where and when was the dance done, but indoors
      or outdoors?, which seasons? by which classes? by which age groups?
      wearing what? On a wood floor?, tile? grass? what musical instruments were
      available and how skilled were the dance musicians? All of these questions
      can affect the style of the dance. The hornpipe is was popular with sailors
      partly because it could be done without a partner in a crowded space (such
      as a quarter-deck). The intricate styling in 19th century Serbian women's
      dances is closely connected with the rather restrictive women's skirts.
      Oriental cultures that used to bind women's feet strongly reflect that in
      their dances. Dances done by the populace sometimes include opportunities
      to flirt, dances done for an audience by the dance professionals (whether
      Byzantine, Japanese, or late period French) may include mimed courtship but
      tend to lack real opportunities for the participants to flirt.

      I am currently learning Buffens (the sword dance) from Arbeau. The height
      of the ceiling can interfere with some of the styling. Even without further
      proof, this would suggest that it was unlikely to be done in lower class
      dwellings, which tend to have low roofs.

      3) In many cases the more simple dances were rarely done alone. The double
      bransle would be done as the start of a bransle suite, The pavane would be
      followed by a galliard. Don't stop after doing part, do the whole thing
      like it would be done in period.

      Breichiol map Lludd o Fannauc
      (known among the saesneg as Mableth)
      morris@...