      From: Sarah Kaiser <sarahkaiserstl@...>
      To: "CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com" <CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:39:05 -0500
      Subject: Re: [CalontirDance] Help deciphering Playford

      I agree with Conrad that this seems a feasible and reasonable reconstruction
      of the section.
      Fun!

      On Oct 24, 2010, at 9:54 PM, "Sauer, Michael F." <sauerm@...>
      wrote:

      > Oh a nice brain puzzle :)
      >

      >> first man backe a D.
      >
      > Back away from partner a double
      >
      >> then goe downe between the rest
      >
      > pass between the couples toward the bottom of the set
      >
      >> and turne the last Wo but one
      >
      > Turn (with 2 hands?) the second to last woman
      >
      >> then the last,
      >
      > Turn the last woman
      >
      >> and stay there
      >
      > Fall into last mans place
      >
      >> while the other men go between the 2. and the third We. and goe toward
      the left hand and fall downe to the first man

      > As the same time the second man passes between 2nd and 3rd women, goes
      toward the head of the line, around the first woman on down on the mans side
      of the line towards the 2nd to last mans place.

      > All other men follow so that the mens line is now reversed.
      >
      >> First man back, then goe up between the rest, turne the second Wo. then
      the first while the men go between the two last We. turne towards the right
      hand and goe up to your places

      > Essentially the reverse of the above, with the first man tuning the 2nd
      and first woman then returning to place, with the line of men going through
      the 2nd to last and last woman then around the bottom then up to their
      places.

      > Seems a little odd the in the first you go between the 2nd and 3rd, but in
      the second you go between the last and second to last. I think for the
      timing the 2nd through last man could start moving up just after the first
      mans has passed between them and their partner. Since this is long ways for
      as many as will , this will take a variable amount of time depending on the
      number of couples.

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/dances/Playford/DriveWinter.txt

      > I'm having a hard time visualizing what's going on here during the
      refrain. Could someone kindly walk me through this?