      To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
      From: sauerm@...
      Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:00:26 -0500
      Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] Ly Bens help

      Hi

      OK this is a bit of an oddball dance

      Simple Explanation

      Singles are simple step left and close with the right, step right close

      with the left.

      A double would be a left, right, left and close (or turn in this dance)

      While the single, single, double has the same pattern as a pavane, it's

      much more upbeat

      As for timing that's trickier. If the music is 4/4 then a single is 2

      beats or 1/2 measure.

      While a double is 4 beats or 1 full measure. This will vary if the

      signature is different.

      One tricky thing about the music for this dance is that the last phrase

      (the step out, step in, turn)

      sounds very much like the first part (the single, single, double),

      resist the temptation to start

      the next repeat here.

      Fuller explanation (ignore if you want)

      The Greesly series of dances (which this is one) have been described as

      English dances with 'Italian like' steps

      They are not English Country Dances.

      With this in mind there's more freedom to style the steps. The main

      difference is that Italian steps don't

      close the trailing foot in a series of like steps. Italian singles are

      more like step left, pause; full step with right, pause

      Etc. And a double as left, right, left, pause (the 1 beat for the pause

      is when the turns to face are done).

      From: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com