1054RE: [CalontirDance] Ly Bens help

    May 22, 2008
      Hi

      OK this is a bit of an oddball dance

      Simple Explanation
      Singles are simple step left and close with the right, step right close
      with the left.
      A double would be a left, right, left and close (or turn in this dance)
      While the single, single, double has the same pattern as a pavane, it's
      much more upbeat

      As for timing that's trickier. If the music is 4/4 then a single is 2
      beats or 1/2 measure.
      While a double is 4 beats or 1 full measure. This will vary if the
      signature is different.

      One tricky thing about the music for this dance is that the last phrase
      (the step out, step in, turn)
      sounds very much like the first part (the single, single, double),
      resist the temptation to start
      the next repeat here.

      Fuller explanation (ignore if you want)
      The Greesly series of dances (which this is one) have been described as
      English dances with 'Italian like' steps
      They are not English Country Dances.

      With this in mind there's more freedom to style the steps. The main
      difference is that Italian steps don't
      close the trailing foot in a series of like steps. Italian singles are
      more like step left, pause; full step with right, pause
      Etc. And a double as left, right, left, pause (the 1 beat for the pause
      is when the turns to face are done).