Hi Everyone I Need Some Information

  • tj.angel388
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2008
      Hi hope you all are doing well. I can say I do have the right to say I
      have raised bettas all my life but I have never mated them. I bought
      my second female betta recently and my two males have been going crazy
      especially Dover (my blue, baby blue and white male betta). I need
      every and any peice of information there is about mating bettas and
      what to do after the baby bettas hatch. I haven't decided to mate them
      but I think it would be pretty cool to do so. thanks for all your help
      and input and have a great weekend.
    • Patrick Henry
      Message 2 of 14 , May 4, 2008
        HI TJ,

             It's really great that you' re atttempting to spawn your bettas.  The first thing I would do is choose your male and female by color.  Try and match them up.  If they are of different colors you're probably going to end up with bi-colors.  Try next to match them up by size, finnage and lastly, by age.  Depending on the age of your fish, the spawn will usually be predominately the youngest of the two.  In other words, if the female is youngest, you'll probably have more females.  You can usually tell which is oldest by their size.  Although I did know a lady that spawned older males to younger females on purpose.  I hope this helps!
                                                                                             Pat

        "tj.angel388" <tj.angel388@...> wrote:
        Hi hope you all are doing well. I can say I do have the right to say I
        have raised bettas all my life but I have never mated them. I bought
        my second female betta recently and my two males have been going crazy
        especially Dover (my blue, baby blue and white male betta). I need
        every and any peice of information there is about mating bettas and
        what to do after the baby bettas hatch. I haven't decided to mate them
        but I think it would be pretty cool to do so. thanks for all your help
        and input and have a great weekend.

      • winnifredburkle
        Message 3 of 14 , May 5, 2008
          --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, "tj.angel388"
          <tj.angel388@...> wrote:

          > Hi hope you all are doing well. I can say I do have the right to say I
          > have raised bettas all my life but I have never mated them. I bought
          > my second female betta recently and my two males have been going crazy
          > especially Dover (my blue, baby blue and white male betta). I need
          > every and any peice of information there is about mating bettas and
          > what to do after the baby bettas hatch. I haven't decided to mate them
          > but I think it would be pretty cool to do so. thanks for all your help
          > and input and have a great weekend.

          Hello!

          I've found this article on Ultimate bettas very helpful:
          http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=3686

          The one thing that has the most impact is conditioning the betta- lots
          of live or high quality frozen food, the female in the chimney system
          until she stripes/he builds a nest works well!

          ~Anne
        • Charlie Davis
          Message 4 of 14 , May 5, 2008
            I have an older male that suddenly has one eye that is
            popping out. He was in a community tank (endlers and
            one white cloud)and I took him out when I found him
            like this. Right afterward, I found one dead male
            Endler. How should I treat him, and the community
            tank?

            Thanks,
            Charlie

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • Eryn Rosenbaum
            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 2008
              Popeye is usually caused by bacteria... so lots of water changes for both him and the community tank. I'd also treat him with antibiotics in his beanie, with fresh water (and fresh doses of meds) every day or twice daily. My advice is only to treat the tank if other fish look sick, because if the water conditions are good (check with test kits to be sure) and the water is changed often, your other fish might never fall ill... actually all water has bacteria in it, and usually if your filter is working great and the fish are healthy, the good bacteria will outcompete the bad stuff.

              For the betta, there are so many types of antibiotics that I don't know what to recommend. I seem to remember reading somewhere that most popeye infections are caused by gram negative bacteria, so those antibiotics might be more effective (off the top of my head I know that Maracyn II treats gram-negative and Furan 2  treats both negative and positive, but you could also try another). Maybe you can google popeye or ask what's been helpful for others on the IBC list.

              Sorry I couldn't be more help... I successfully treated popeye myself about a year ago using Maracyn II along with Furan 2, but it's always hit or miss. And even though the eye went back to mostly normal, the fish did end up dying about 3 months later of dropsy, so I think she was never right afterwards.

              Eryn

              On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Charlie Davis <gt40d@...> wrote:

              I have an older male that suddenly has one eye that is
              popping out. He was in a community tank (endlers and
              one white cloud)and I took him out when I found him
              like this. Right afterward, I found one dead male
              Endler. How should I treat him, and the community
              tank?

              Thanks,
              Charlie

              Be a better friend, newshound, and

            • son huynh
              Message 6 of 14 , May 6, 2008
                Hi there,
                I've found info on this site bettatalk.com . This site has all the info you need to know about bettas.

                > Hi hope you all are doing well. I can say I do have the right to say I
                > have raised bettas all my life but I have never mated them. I bought
                > my second female betta recently and my two males have been going crazy
                > especially Dover (my blue, baby blue and white male betta). I need
                > every and any peice of information there is about mating bettas and
                > what to do after the baby bettas hatch. I haven't decided to mate them
                > but I think it would be pretty cool to do so. thanks for all your help
                > and input and have a great weekend.

                Hello!

                I've found this article on Ultimate bettas very helpful:
                http://www.ultimate bettas.com/ index.php? showtopic= 3686

                The one thing that has the most impact is conditioning the betta- lots
                of live or high quality frozen food, the female in the chimney system
                until she stripes/he builds a nest works well!

                ~Anne

              • Kathy & Joe Cooper
                Message 7 of 14 , May 6, 2008

                  Who does this site belong to?

                  Joe

                  Interesting approach to replacing the Income Tax, visit www.apttax.com

                  I've found info on this site bettatalk.com . This site has all the info you need to know about bettas.

                  > Hi hope you all are doing well. I can say I do have the right to say I
                  > have raised bettas all my life but I have never mated them. I bought
                  > my second female betta recently and my two males have been going crazy
                  > especially Dover
                  (my blue, baby blue and white male betta). I need
                  > every and any peice of information there is about mating bettas and
                  > what to do after the baby bettas hatch. I haven't decided to mate them
                  > but I think it would be pretty cool to do so. thanks for all your help
                  > and input and have a great weekend.

                  Hello!

                  I've found this article on Ultimate bettas very helpful:
                  http://www.ultimate bettas.com/ index.php? showtopic= 3686

                  The one thing that has the most impact is conditioning the betta- lots
                  of live or high quality frozen food, the female in the chimney system
                  until she stripes/he builds a nest works well!

                  ~Anne

                • Jeremy Bolanos
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 6, 2008
                    Bettatalk.com is Faith's site.

                    On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 10:04 PM, Kathy & Joe Cooper <knjincvc@...> wrote:

                    Who does this site belong to?

                    Joe

                    Interesting approach to replacing the Income Tax, visit www.apttax.com

                    I've found info on this site bettatalk.com . This site has all the info you need to know about bettas.

                    > Hi hope you all are doing well. I can say I do have the right to say I
                    > have raised bettas all my life but I have never mated them. I bought
                    > my second female betta recently and my two males have been going crazy
                    > especially Dover (my blue, baby blue and white male betta). I need
                    > every and any peice of information there is about mating bettas and
                    > what to do after the baby bettas hatch. I haven't decided to mate them
                    > but I think it would be pretty cool to do so. thanks for all your help
                    > and input and have a great weekend.

                    Hello!

                    I've found this article on Ultimate bettas very helpful:
                    http://www.ultimate bettas.com/ index.php? showtopic= 3686

                    The one thing that has the most impact is conditioning the betta- lots
                    of live or high quality frozen food, the female in the chimney system
                    until she stripes/he builds a nest works well!

                    ~Anne

                    Coming in 2008! FishFarm.biz - Aquarium Hobbyist Co-Operative
                  • Jeremy Waugh
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 6, 2008
                    • Jeremy Bolanos
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 6, 2008
                        looooooooooooooooooooooooong story - haha

                        My favorite line: You must order at least $60 worth of bettas and cultures (not including plant orders, shipping fees and after any discounts, credit etc...). Remember you can always add a culture to turn a $50 or $55 order into a $60 minimum one! ;). No, plants don't count cause I only make pennies on these ;). So use cultures to pump up your total from a near $60 to a $60 or more.
                        She also only ships Fedex - so $60 + $35 (flat fee) = $95 for 1 pair of fish.  You can order overseas on aquabid for around that amount and get really great fish and see the pic of what you are getting (in most cases).  The last pair I ordered from Aquabid was $70 for a pair with all shipping.  My current breeding stock cost me about $120 for 16 fish.

                        Has anyone ordered from her?

                        Jeremy

                        On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Jeremy Waugh <jeremy.n.waugh@...> wrote:

                        Um. . . why are the fish on this site so expensive?  Am I missing something?

                        -Jeremy W

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 6, 2008
                        • Jeremy Bolanos
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 6, 2008
                            for as long as I can remember - there really isn't an LABS anymore.

                            On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Jeremy Waugh <jeremy.n.waugh@...> wrote:

                            I also don't understand the betta consultation.  Who charges for that, and 25-30$?  You could find information on any fish board for free!

                            Is she really the president of the betta club down south??

                            Jeremy W

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 7, 2008
                                I normally only receive posts in digest form, so this totally passed
                                me by. Sorry for not stepping in sooner.

                                No more attacks on Faith, LABS, or any other fish breeder or club will
                                be allowed, and the whole list is on moderated status.

                                I'm going back through the archives now, and deleting all flaming
                                posts. I will leave any that might actually (amazingly) be constructive.

                                -- Larissa
                                List Owner