Re: [CBS] SVAS this weekend

  • lisalisacats
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 1, 2008
      Turns out I wont be there....i'm off to get a new toilet.

      Lisa

      Nelson <hocfutue2@...> wrote:
      According to their website, tomorrow's talk is by Dick Au. For those
      of you who missed his talk last month in SF, it was very informative.
      And, he brought lots of bettas for auction.

      http://www.svas. info/

      Nelson

      Cats are my drug of choice.

    • Eryn Kline Rosenbaum
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 4, 2008
        Ooh, my daphnia population suddenly exploded! I must be doing something right. I topped off my 2g daphnia bucket with old tank water, started feeding them every day by sprinkling Hikari First Bites onto the surface, and suddenly I have TONS of tiny daphnia throughout the bucket. The few adults I had half-heartedly hanging on to life suddenly decided to make babies! Yay!

        http://biggestloser.msn.com/
      • Jeremy Bolanos
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 4, 2008
          remember - one of the first things a daphnia does before it dies is drop eggs.  so there's a good chance that once conditions improved they hatched for you.  That's great - mine are slim - I've been busy feeding them to my dwarf cichlids.  I need to increase my batch.

          Jeremy

          --

          Coming in 2008!  FishFarm.biz - Aquarium Hobbyist Co-Operative
        • Christine Tanner
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 4, 2008
            Yay! Daphnia are so fickle! ;)

            I got a big batch of daphnia from texas and I'm testing them on the new
            freaky paprika-soy flour-spirulina-brewers yeast diet. If that doesn't
            work I'll try the Hikari first bites!

            I'm also running two tubs, one with tank water from a normal tank and
            the other with water from my hard water Tanganyika tank.

            ~Christine

            Eryn Kline Rosenbaum wrote:

            > Ooh, my daphnia population suddenly exploded! I must be doing
            > something right. I topped off my 2g daphnia bucket with old tank
            > water, started feeding them every day by sprinkling Hikari First Bites
            > onto the surface, and suddenly I have TONS of tiny daphnia throughout
            > the bucket. The few adults I had half-heartedly hanging on to life
            > suddenly decided to make babies! Yay!

            > Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser!
            > http://biggestloser.msn.com/ <http://biggestloser.msn.com/>

          • Eryn Kline Rosenbaum
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 4, 2008
              Cool. Nelson, I think I got that culture from you -- do you know if those are Daphnia magna, or Moina? I think the Moina are supposed to be smaller, higher protein, and more resistant to crowding. But I don't know how to tell the difference.
              Eryn

              ________________________________
              > To: CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com
              > From: jeremybolanos@...
              > Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 18:01:20 -0800
              > Subject: Re: [CBS] daphnia -- finally!
              >

              > remember - one of the first things a daphnia does before it dies is drop eggs. so there's a good chance that once conditions improved they hatched for you. That's great - mine are slim - I've been busy feeding them to my dwarf cichlids. I need to increase my batch.
              >
              > Jeremy
              >
              > On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Eryn Kline Rosenbaum
            • Nelson Snook
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 5, 2008
                Eryn,

                They are Daphnia Jeremiusbolanos ;)

                I've been feeding mine an algae tab every week or so, plus topping off the tank with aquarium or rainwater.

                Nelson

              • Eryn Kline Rosenbaum
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 5, 2008

                  Thanks, Nelson. Jeremy? Any idea whether your daphnia are Daphnia Magna or Moina?
                  Do you ever need to do any water *changes*, or can you just top off the daphnia container?

                  To: CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 5, 2008
                    Daphnia Magna - and I do water changes - not just top off.

                    Jeremy

                    To: CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 5, 2008

                      Jeremy how do you do the water change without loosing them all?

                      -Jeremy W

                      On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Eryn Kline Rosenbaum <erynkline@hotmail. com> wrote:

                      Thanks, Nelson. Jeremy? Any idea whether your daphnia are Daphnia Magna or Moina?
                      Do you ever need to do any water *changes*, or can you just top off the daphnia container?

                      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                    • Jeremy Bolanos
                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 6, 2008
                        Just cyphon the bottom - I find they move all to one side when I stick the hose in.  I remove very small amounts of water - all I'm after is the mulm on the bottom.  i usually end up only removing about 10% of the ater.  They key is to remove it slowly so you'll need to take your time.  You can check your cyphon bucket when you are done and use a turkey baster to pick out the big ones to feed off.  Otherwise, clean water counts for more than the occational young daphnia.  Remember - each one produces 15 babies every 3-5 days so there's more where that came from.

                        Jeremy

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 31, 2008
                          Anyone want to ride down with me on Saturday?

                          Jeremy
                        • Christine Tanner
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 1, 2009
                            For those of you looking to do something this saturday night Jan 3rd,
                            Silicon Valley Aquarium Society has a talk on Wild Bettas presented by
                            Gerald Griffin, chair of the IBC species maintenance program. If you've
                            heard me talk about "wilds" or are curious to learn about some of the
                            close relatives of our Betta splendens, this would be an excellent talk
                            to go to! Meetings start at 7pm but its a very good idea to get there
                            early for a good seat.

                            More info at: http://siliconvalleyaquariumsociety.com/

                            Hope to see some of you there!
                            ~Christine
                          • lisalisacats
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 2, 2009
                              I waited until the last minute , hoping  things would change, but circumstances beyond my control make it so I can't come this Saturday.  Sigh and drat.

                              Also looks like I wont be able to make it to the party on the 24th.  Double drat!

                              Lisa

                              Cats are my drug of choice.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 2, 2009
                                Who else besides Jeremy will be coming? Eryn? I just want to know how
                                many seats to hold in case I manage to get there first. Judy and John
                                will be there as well.

                                ~Christine

                                lisalisacats wrote:

                                > I waited until the last minute , hoping things would change, but
                                > circumstances beyond my control make it so I can't come this
                                > Saturday. Sigh and drat.
                                >
                                > Also looks like I wont be able to make it to the party on the 24th.
                                > Double drat!
                                >
                                > Lisa
                                >
                                > *Cats are my drug of choice.*

                              • Karen Wolff
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 2, 2009
                                  Hi Christine,

                                  I will probably come too.

                                  Karen

                                  lisalisacats wrote:

                                  > I waited until the last minute , hoping things would change, but
                                  > circumstances beyond my control make it so I can't come this
                                  > Saturday. Sigh and drat.
                                  >
                                  > Also looks like I wont be able to make it to the party on the 24th.
                                  > Double drat!
                                  >
                                  > Lisa
                                  >
                                  > *Cats are my drug of choice.*

                                • Jeremy Bolanos
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 2, 2009
                                    We should all chip in for pizza - save some money.  I'll eat anything.

                                    Jeremy

                                    lisalisacats wrote:

                                    > I waited until the last minute , hoping things would change, but
                                    > circumstances beyond my control make it so I can't come this
                                    > Saturday. Sigh and drat.
                                    >
                                    > Also looks like I wont be able to make it to the party on the 24th.
                                    > Double drat!
                                    >
                                    > Lisa
                                    >
                                    > *Cats are my drug of choice.*

                                  • Nelson
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 2, 2009
                                      I'm hoping to be there around 6:00.

                                      Nelson
                                    • Eryn Rosenbaum
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 2, 2009
                                        I'll be there, probably closer to 7, so it would be great if you guys could save me a seat. Sure, I'll chip in for pizza. Karen, I'll bring those fish I've been saving for you, since you'll be there.
                                        See you all tomorrow,
                                        Eryn

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 2, 2009
                                          I'll chip in for Pizza too and Thank you Eryn for thinking of bringing the fish!!

                                          Karen

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 3, 2009
                                            I will go for the pizza option as well! Last time I was at PCCA they
                                            told me I got a discount for "being with the fish club" so make sure to
                                            mention that. ;)

                                            I'm aiming to be there at 6pm (hope thats earlier enough to snag a
                                            table!) and I'm going to try to check out The Aquarium Showroom
                                            beforehand, as a possible alternate show location for our next show.

                                            See you tonite!
                                            ~Christine

                                            Karen Wolff wrote:
                                            > I'll chip in for Pizza too and Thank you Eryn for thinking of bringing
                                            > the fish!!
                                            >
                                            > Karen

                                          • Jeremy Bolanos
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 3, 2009
                                              I'm not sure what time I'm going to arrive.  Probably closer to 7pm than my usual early.  If someone wants to grab the pizza I'll gladly chip in.

                                              Has anyone heard from the other Jeremy?

                                              Karen Wolff wrote:
                                              > I'll chip in for Pizza too and Thank you Eryn for thinking of bringing
                                              > the fish!!
                                              >
                                              > Karen

                                            • Jeremy Waugh
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 3, 2009