RE: [CBS] Re: Vinegar Eels

  • knjinvcv
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2002
      During the week I was away the culture did bloom.
      Thanks for the web site address.

      Joe
      Fish, Friends and Fun - that's what the IBC is all about!!!!!!!

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2002
        Hi all,
        Does anyone have Jim Clarks e-mail address?

        Joe

        Fish, Friends and Fun - that's what the IBC is all about!!!!!!!
      • Timmy
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 4, 2008
          I'm not sure if my question was seen because it was in the wrong topic,
          so reposting. I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to give
          me a starter vinegar eel culture. I am planning to attend the show and
          would be hoping to grab it from someone who will be there. Thanks in
          advance.
        • Christine Tanner
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 4, 2008
            I'm sure someone has some. I have some that I haven't looked at in a few
            months so I'll see if they are still wiggling.

            We usually have some at meetings, in case no one sees this post before
            the show... also if you head down to your local healthy grocery store
            (Whole Foods or somewhere similar) and look for the apple cider vinegar
            that is unpasteurized (Bragg's is one i think), take along a small
            flashlight and point it at the neck of the bottle and see if you see a
            little cloud of eels. They are usually in there. ;)

            ~Christine

            Timmy wrote:

            > I'm not sure if my question was seen because it was in the wrong topic,
            > so reposting. I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to give
            > me a starter vinegar eel culture. I am planning to attend the show and
            > would be hoping to grab it from someone who will be there. Thanks in
            > advance.

          • Larissa
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 4, 2008
              Um, lol, Christine, on getting the eels directly from the store! I
              think I'm slightly squicked now. (More protein in it, though ;p)

              I'll check my culture as well. My vacation last month came within a
              millimeter of killing all my microworms (if I hadn't had a cold, I
              would have figured this out sooner o.o), but I've revived that
              culture, and I *think* the eels are doing fine. If they are, I'll
              bring a bunch too.

              -- Larissa

              --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, Christine Tanner
              <sjoestedti@...> wrote:

              > I'm sure someone has some. I have some that I haven't looked at in a
              few
              > months so I'll see if they are still wiggling.
              >
              > We usually have some at meetings, in case no one sees this post before
              > the show... also if you head down to your local healthy grocery store
              > (Whole Foods or somewhere similar) and look for the apple cider vinegar
              > that is unpasteurized (Bragg's is one i think), take along a small
              > flashlight and point it at the neck of the bottle and see if you see a
              > little cloud of eels. They are usually in there. ;)
              >
              > ~Christine
              >
              > Timmy wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm not sure if my question was seen because it was in the wrong
              topic,
              > > so reposting. I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to give
              > > me a starter vinegar eel culture. I am planning to attend the show and
              > > would be hoping to grab it from someone who will be there. Thanks in
              > > advance.

            • Nelson
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 4, 2008
                Why, I'm siphoning out some starter cultures right now to bring to the
                show. I'll have two variations. One is a nice clean one, but won't
                have many eels in it, would be a few weeks before I'd harvest. For
                those brave of heart, there is an unfiltered, dark colored liquid of
                apple sludge, but will potentially have many more eels to start with.
                Looks like I put one too many apple slice in the bottle and my main
                culture turned on me. Looks nasty, but still has lots o eels.

                Nelson
              • Timmy
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 4, 2008
                  Thanks Nelson.

                  At first I didn't think I will be needing any vinegar eels, but after
                  talking with a few people at the summer bbq, I can see how it can
                  benefit my fry. So I wanted to test them out.

                  --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson" <hocfutue2@...> wrote:

                  > Why, I'm siphoning out some starter cultures right now to bring to
                  the
                  > show. I'll have two variations. One is a nice clean one, but won't
                  > have many eels in it, would be a few weeks before I'd harvest. For
                  > those brave of heart, there is an unfiltered, dark colored liquid of
                  > apple sludge, but will potentially have many more eels to start
                  with.
                  > Looks like I put one too many apple slice in the bottle and my main
                  > culture turned on me. Looks nasty, but still has lots o eels.
                  >
                  > Nelson

                • Samuel Flory
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 5, 2008
                    Note that you don't actually need a starter culture as they develop naturally in a month, or 2.  A good starter culture could get you going in a week,or 2.  If you have growing fry already brine shrimp, and microworms are better in terms of quick.

                    PS- I can't make the show, but I can provide a infusoria (green water) to anyone who needs a starter in San Jose, or sunnyvale.

                    PPS- Remember it's mosquito season folks!!!  Most places around here you can get a crop of larva in under a week by leaving out a bucket of water.  This is a great food for fry after they get a month old.

                    ----
                    There are 10 kinds of people in the world
                    Sam Flory

                  • Timmy
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 5, 2008
                      I'm using walterworms(microworm but smaller) and bbs. But now I
                      think I'm going to stop using bbs altogether, walterworms seem to
                      work better(cheeper too). But like I said, just wanted to give eels
                      a try. ^^

                      I've never tried infusorians either. I guess I'm just afraid of what
                      else might be in the water along with the beneficial micro-organisms.

                      --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, Samuel Flory <samflory@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Note that you don't actually need a starter culture as they develop
                      naturally in a month, or 2.  A good starter culture could get you
                      going in a week,or 2.  If you have growing fry already brine shrimp,
                      and microworms are better in terms of quick.

                      > PS- I can't make the show, but I can provide a infusoria (green
                      water) to anyone who needs a starter in San Jose, or sunnyvale.

                      > PPS- Remember it's mosquito season folks!!!  Most places around
                      here you can get a crop of larva in under a week by leaving out a
                      bucket of water.  This is a great food for fry after they get a month
                      old.

                      > ----
                      >
                      > There are 10 kinds of people in the world
                      >
                      > those who understand binary and those who don't.
                      >
                      > Sam Flory

                    • Eryn Rosenbaum
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 5, 2008
                        Better not stop BBS altogether, because if you feed the fry only microworms or walter worms for their first few weeks, the fry may fail to develop their ventral fins.
                        Eryn

                        wrote:

                        > Note that you don't actually need a starter culture as they develop
                        naturally in a month, or 2.  A good starter culture could get you
                        going in a week,or 2.  If you have growing fry already brine shrimp,
                        and microworms are better in terms of quick.

                        > PS- I can't make the show, but I can provide a infusoria (green
                        water) to anyone who needs a starter in San Jose, or sunnyvale.

                        > PPS- Remember it's mosquito season folks!!!  Most places around
                        here you can get a crop of larva in under a week by leaving out a
                        bucket of water.  This is a great food for fry after they get a month
                        old.

                        > ----
                        >
                        > There are 10 kinds of people in the world
                        >
                        > those who understand binary and those who don't.
                        >
                        > Sam Flory

                      • Sam Flory
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 6, 2008
                          --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, "Timmy" <paradus@...> wrote:

                          > I've never tried infusorians either. I guess I'm just afraid of
                          > what
                          > else might be in the water along with the beneficial micro-organisms.

                          That's the downside of nearly any live food. Infusoria can be
                          produced in a more sterile way, but it takes a long time.

                          1)Get a large bottle/jar/whatever and fill with water.*

                          2)Add aquarium fertilizer about x10 the recommended dosage.

                          3)Set in window with direct sunlight. Being sure to age any
                          replacement water.

                          4)Wait a month till the water greens.

                          This will result in an infusoria culture which is low in bacteria, and
                          no worse than your water source, and air in terms of what growing in
                          it. On the downside it's doesn't produce as much food per volume as a
                          culture based around bacteria. You'll need at least 5 gallons to
                          produce enough food to get fry past the 1st week or so. (Then you'll
                          want a larger food like brine shrimp.) The thing I love above
                          infusoria is there isn't a lot of waste food, and extra just hangs out
                          in the tank.

                          *Personally I prefer to start with tank water, and gunk from a healthy
                          aquarium filter

                          Another alternative is to use the above culture with additional
                          food. At stage 4 you have a good population of infusoria. Then you
                          can add just a little boiled to mush broccoli (or other veg), and a
                          pinch or 2 of mushed hard boiled egg yolk per gallon. Stir well and
                          let sit for a few days.

                          A final alternative is the various paramecium cultures intend for
                          school use.

                          Harvesting the cultures can be done in a number of ways:
                          1)In the case of more sterile cultures just dump it in.
                          2)Run your culture through a coffee filter then reverse it, and run a
                          gallon of tank water through it. Add water to tank.
                          3)Better yet get a bunch of micron filters from a science supply. Run
                          culture through a net or some to remove large pieces, then thru the
                          micron filter, then place filter at the bottom of a glass of tank
                          water for an hour, and then finally dump in the water.

                          PS- Unlike most people here I generally try to boost infusoria in tank
                          by adding fertilizers, and a lot of light. My fry tanks in the past
                          have been algae covered nightmares by the standards of others.