betta breeders in san jose?

  • deep_ocean_of_sorrow
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
      Hi, I was wondering if there is any breeders around the San Jose area.
      I live very, very, VERY close to the Dolphin Pet Village pet store(within a few miles), and have visited their store for bettas before. But I realized, they only have the veil tail bettas--not the kind I am looking for. I prefer the large-finned bettas like the delta, super delta, half-moons, or a crowntail and either blue or green-blue type colors, if possible.
      The betta I am looking for is only for as a pet. I will not be showing the male betta (or breed), so I wouldn't mind if I was going to adopt a retired betta, or if it had some of the tail bitten off. (as long as there is a guarantee that the tail will grow back over time...er.. and that I can get the medication for the betta for a reasonable price) I am just allured by their beauty and simply won't settle for a fish in a pet store. ( I read many many articles online about betta fishes, including the CBS, and used to own a male betta )

      Anyways,
      if you have anyone who breeds in the San Jose area, it would be great if you can tell me.
      I'm only a minor, so I would prefer getting the betta within driving distance, with no credit cards online, and with reasonable prices.
    • Larissa
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
        Hi there, welcome to CBS!

        I live in San Jose too, though I'm not actively breeding right now.
        But I *did* just drop off at Dolphin Pets a poster and some flyers for
        our International Betta Show next month. Go to the store - the poster
        is in the window on the right side, and the flyers are displayed next
        to the bettas. I really recommend going to the show -- you'll see a
        ton of really awesome bettas there, and a lot of them will be
        auctioned off after the show.

        Otherwise, there's also our meetings - some of them are fairly close
        to San Jose.

        Smiles,
        -- Larissa

        --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, "deep_ocean_of_sorrow"
        <deep_ocean_of_sorrow@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I was wondering if there is any breeders around the San Jose area. I
        > live very, very, VERY close to the Dolphin Pet Village pet store(within
        > a few miles), and have visited their store for bettas before. But I
        > realized, they only have the veil tail bettas--not the kind I am looking
        > for. I prefer the large-finned bettas like the delta, super delta,
        > half-moons, or a crowntail and either blue or green-blue type colors, if
        > possible. The betta I am looking for is only for as a pet. I will not be
        > showing the male betta (or breed), so I wouldn't mind if I was going to
        > adopt a retired betta, or if it had some of the tail bitten off. (as
        > long as there is a guarantee that the tail will grow back over
        > time...er.. and that I can get the medication for the betta for a
        > reasonable price) I am just allured by their beauty and simply won't
        > settle for a fish in a pet store. ( I read many many articles online
        > about betta fishes, including the CBS, and used to own a male betta )
        > Anyways, if you have anyone who breeds in the San Jose area, it would be
        > great if you can tell me. I'm only a minor, so I would prefer getting
        > the betta within driving distance, with no credit cards online, and with
        > reasonable prices.

      • Samuel Flory
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 5, 2007
          FYI- As a long time Dolphin Pet Village customer (was
          there yesterday) I've seen crowns, double tails super
          deltas on a regular basis.(none yesterday) I bought a
          beautiful super delta (cost me nearly $15, but he was
          so cute, and I had just lost my a while back, as well
          as some fairly young females. (Young females are
          ideal for betta sorority tanks as they don't tend to
          disrupt the pecking order.) The non-veils tend to go
          fast so I'd ask them when are getting a new order in.
          Note that their source tends to have lighter blues
          (often sort of butter fly, or marbled patterning), and
          some reds. I've never seen a dark blue, or green at
          that store.

          PS- Personally I' wait for the upon coming show, and a
          snag a betta for a song at auction.
          http://cbsbettas.org/shows.html

          ----
          If fighting is sure to result in victory,
          then you must fight, even though the ruler forbid it;
          if fighting will not result is victory,
          then you must not fight, even at the ruler's bidding.
          (Sun Tzu)
          Sam Flory <samflory@...>

          Need a vacation? Get great deals
          to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
          http://travel.yahoo.com/
        • deep_ocean_of_sorrow
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
            yes, I was thinking of going to the show for to get a betta, but if
            its a auction, wouldn't the price of the betta get higher and higher?
            (btw, is this an silent auction or is it an auction where you shout
            out or something??) and what if i don't get the betta i want cause
            all the other people want it? (and i am merely finding a betta for a
            pet, not for breeding or showing purposes... the other people there
            have a better reason why they would want that betta. plus, probably
            more money.)
            and also, i am not completely sure if i can go there to buy a betta.
            its near the san jose airport... and both my parents work at the same
            times, and its a strict schedule for both. (we own a very small
            family restuaraunt, so its kinda hard.)
            is the auction on a saturday? then i have a slightly higher chance of
            being able to go.

            and yes, i would check with the dolphine pet village people. i think
            i will give them a call.

            --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, Samuel Flory <samflory@...>
            wrote:

            > FYI- As a long time Dolphin Pet Village customer (was
            > there yesterday) I've seen crowns, double tails super
            > deltas on a regular basis.(none yesterday) I bought a
            > beautiful super delta (cost me nearly $15, but he was
            > so cute, and I had just lost my a while back, as well
            > as some fairly young females. (Young females are
            > ideal for betta sorority tanks as they don't tend to
            > disrupt the pecking order.) The non-veils tend to go
            > fast so I'd ask them when are getting a new order in.
            > Note that their source tends to have lighter blues
            > (often sort of butter fly, or marbled patterning), and
            > some reds. I've never seen a dark blue, or green at
            > that store.
            >
            > PS- Personally I' wait for the upon coming show, and a
            > snag a betta for a song at auction.
            > http://cbsbettas.org/shows.html
          • Judy Latham
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
              The auction is on Sunday starting at 10am. It isn't a silent auction, but bidders get cards ahead of time to hold up to bid. And, yes, it can get sort of pricey, although there are usually some bargains to be had. There is also the breeder's cup raffle, where you buy raffle tickets and put them in the jar of the pair of bettas you want. Then a winner is pulled from the jar.

              Dolphin Pet Village is good. If you want a crowntail, you might check with PetSmart. They get them in regularly, but you need to be really selective. Their fish are shipped in huge lots and are not in the best of shape.

              Hope you find your betta. And hope you can make it to the show.

              judy

              wrote:

              > FYI- As a long time Dolphin Pet Village customer (was
              > there yesterday) I've seen crowns, double tails super
              > deltas on a regular basis.(none yesterday) I bought a
              > beautiful super delta (cost me nearly $15, but he was
              > so cute, and I had just lost my a while back, as well
              > as some fairly young females. (Young females are
              > ideal for betta sorority tanks as they don't tend to
              > disrupt the pecking order.) The non-veils tend to go
              > fast so I'd ask them when are getting a new order in.
              > Note that their source tends to have lighter blues
              > (often sort of butter fly, or marbled patterning), and
              > some reds. I've never seen a dark blue, or green at
              > that store.
              >
              > PS- Personally I' wait for the upon coming show, and a
              > snag a betta for a song at auction.
              > http://cbsbettas.org/shows.html

            • lisalisacats
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                Just want to encourage you to attend either our meetings or SVAS (Silicon Valley Aquarium Society) on the first Saturday of the month.  They sometimes have crowntail, half moons, etc., bred by members of our club or donated from various fish stores

                Lisa

                wrote:

                > FYI- As a long time Dolphin Pet Village customer (was
                > there yesterday) I've seen crowns, double tails super
                > deltas on a regular basis.(none yesterday) I bought a
                > beautiful super delta (cost me nearly $15, but he was
                > so cute, and I had just lost my a while back, as well
                > as some fairly young females. (Young females are
                > ideal for betta sorority tanks as they don't tend to
                > disrupt the pecking order.) The non-veils tend to go
                > fast so I'd ask them when are getting a new order in.
                > Note that their source tends to have lighter blues
                > (often sort of butter fly, or marbled patterning), and
                > some reds. I've never seen a dark blue, or green at
                > that store.
                >
                > PS- Personally I' wait for the upon coming show, and a
                > snag a betta for a song at auction.
                > http://cbsbettas. org/shows. html

                Cats are my drug of choice.

              • angela@casey.net
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007

                  Hopefully Eryn, a breeder on this list, will see this. I think she has the kind of betta you are looking for (blue/turquoise with beautiful, full finnage) and she's not too far from you.

                  Good luck!

                • Samuel Flory
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                    The things with auction prices is it's all about
                    "value". Value is in the eye of the beholder. A
                    really good show quality betta is worth a lot of
                    money. A good male/female sibling pair is worth even
                    more. (In theroy $100s) On the other hand what makes
                    a betta not show quality is often things an untrained
                    eye wouldn't even notice. Often times people are
                    unloading excess stock at bargin prices. (A good
                    spawn with some luck in keeping the little buggers
                    alive can easily result in 50+ betta.) Even if you
                    don't find one in your price range. I bet you'll
                    enjoy the show.

                    PS- There may be a meeting/auction this month. (I'm
                    vaguely remember this being up in the air.)

                    ----
                    If fighting is sure to result in victory,
                    then you must fight, even though the ruler forbid it;
                    if fighting will not result is victory,
                    then you must not fight, even at the ruler's bidding.
                    (Sun Tzu)
                    Sam Flory <samflory@...>

                    Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
                  • Jeremy Bolanos
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                      Auction prices are usually subjective and what the bidders are willing to pay.  The auction is normally held by the auctioneer calling our a price and all interested hold up their bidding card.  When the auctioneer reaches a price you don't want you simply put your hand down.  Last hand standing wins.  The auction will be held on Sunday.

                      Last year we had some fish go for a high price (over $100) but that doesn't mean fish you want will go anywhere near that high - if I remember right we had some fish go pretty cheap.

                      The best source of pet fish is through the club breeders or your local fish store.  The fish at auction at a Show are usually show quality or near show quality that will be used to breed future show fish.

                      Jeremy

                      wrote:

                      > FYI- As a long time Dolphin Pet Village customer (was
                      > there yesterday) I've seen crowns, double tails super
                      > deltas on a regular basis.(none yesterday) I bought a
                      > beautiful super delta (cost me nearly $15, but he was
                      > so cute, and I had just lost my a while back, as well
                      > as some fairly young females. (Young females are
                      > ideal for betta sorority tanks as they don't tend to
                      > disrupt the pecking order.) The non-veils tend to go
                      > fast so I'd ask them when are getting a new order in.
                      > Note that their source tends to have lighter blues
                      > (often sort of butter fly, or marbled patterning), and
                      > some reds. I've never seen a dark blue, or green at
                      > that store.
                      >
                      > PS- Personally I' wait for the upon coming show, and a
                      > snag a betta for a song at auction.
                      > http://cbsbettas.org/shows.html

                    • Eryn Kline Rosenbaum
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007

                        Thanks, Angela!Yes, I'd be happy to rehome some of my turquoise/blue butterfly bettas. I also have some marbles and some hopefully show-quality blue butterflies and multicolors that will be available after the show.I often make it down to Palo Alto on the weekends. If you're interested, I could send you pictures and then meet you in Palo Alto with some fish.And yes, it is definitely worth going to the CBS show auction on Sept. 16th, because even though some fish will probably get bid up to an exorbitant price, many more will not. There will be a great many bettas of all kinds and qualities, so chances are you'll be able to go home with something nice for a steal.If that date doesn't work for you, you could also consider going to a SVAS meeting. They are held on the first Saturday of each month at a Round Table Pizza in San Jose. http://www.svas.info/ They are free to attend and even non-members can bid and buy. There are always a few bettas up for sale and I've never seen the bidding get ferocious on them (think 1-4 dollars).Eryn----Original Message Follows---- From: "angela@..." Reply-To: CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com To: Subject: Re: [CBS] Re:betta breeders in san jose? Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 16:03:47 +0000 (UTC)Hopefully Eryn, a breeder on this list, will see this. I think she has the kind of betta you are looking for (blue/turquoise with beautiful, full finnage) and she's not too far from you.Good luck!_________________________________________________________________ Booking a flight? Know when to buy with airfare predictions on MSN Travel. http://travel.msn.com/Articles/aboutfarecast.aspx&ocid=T001MSN25A07001
                      • deep_ocean_of_sorrow
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 7, 2007

                          I've just called Dolphin Pet Stores and they said that they're getting their new order tomorrow. And that they will have butterflies and delta, etc etc. *hopefully* I will be able to go to their store tomorrow. and *hopefully* they will have the color type/finnage i'm looking for.

                          But if I don't I may be considering going to Pal Alto to meet Eryn. :)
                          Or going to the meeting to see the auction bettas. Whichever comes first. (But I am sort of curious of the meeting.)

                          Does the fishes go by fast? (and be gone by the time I get there at noon?..or at least all the good kinds that I would like..)

                          And what does everyone mean by cheap at the auctions?? What is considered cheap?? ($15? $40??)

                          and what does * Auction Splits: Showfish 75 / 25, AO 50 / 50. mean?

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 7, 2007
                            The fish aren't auctioned in order of winners down. They are random. So there is a good chance inexpensive fish will be available. However, Noon is sort of late. The auction will start at 10:30, so most of the fish will be gone by noon. We try to move the auction along briskly. You might try telling someone what you want (not me) and what your price limit is, and ask them to bid for you. Of course you are taking a chance that their pick might not match what you wanted.

                            Cheap would probably be around $5 to $10.

                            The auction splits are for the entrants. 75/25 means that 75% of the auction price goes to the owner and 25% goes to the club. AO means auction only. 50% goes to the owner, 50% goes to the club.

                            judy

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 8, 2007

                              Okay, thank you very much for everyone that has answered to my questions.

                              My mom will take me to dolphin pet village tomorrow, so hopefully they will have the kind I am looking for.

                              and if they don't have the kind I want, I will definantely go to the show, now that I know some may be cheaper (and better)  than from dolphin pet village. (I will at least try my best.)

                              i would like to go to pal alto.. but i think thats a bit tooo far (even though it is only several miles from san jose.. we just don't have the time.) sorry.

                              but thank you very much!

                            • angela@casey.net
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 8, 2007

                                Just FYI:

                                I can't speak highly enough of Eryn's fish. She will have a lot for auction at the show, so you should really seek her out. I think she has exactly what you are looking for in color and finnage. Plus, you'd be getting a fish locally raised with a LOT, and I mean a LOT, of care. I have several of her fish and they are beautiful turquoise with a white butterfly pattern. They are young and healthy and the 'pet quality' one that she gave me is now a halfmoon!

                                I don't want to put down any fish shop, but my experience has been better with bettas obtained from breeders (all my pet shop bettas died within a year or had a disease).

                                Either way, good luck and you know where to come for help!

                                Angela

                              • Jeremy Bolanos

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 8, 2007

                                      Thanks, Jeremy! I'm so glad to hear that you like my little guys. Did you get any of my latest spawn (blue bf SD/HMs) at the last meeting? We all have brushes with fish ailments, but all in all we breeders take excellent care to keep the fish in great health and pristine condition, much more than pet shops can or do.----Original Message Follows---- From: "Jeremy Bolanos" Reply-To: CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com To: CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [CBS] Re:betta breeders in san jose? Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:12:12 -0700I completely agree - I have some of Eryn's fish and very much enjoy the little daemons. They are very healthy and happy.Jeremy
                                      On 8/8/07, angela@... wrote: > > Just FYI: > > I can't speak highly enough of Eryn's fish. She will have a lot for > auction at the show, so you should really seek her out. I think she has > exactly what you are looking for in color and finnage. Plus, you'd be > getting a fish locally raised with a LOT, and I mean a LOT, of care. I have > several of her fish and they are beautiful turquoise with a white butterfly > pattern. They are young and healthy and the 'pet quality' one that she gave > me is now a halfmoon! > > I don't want to put down any fish shop, but my experience has been better > with bettas obtained from breeders (all my pet shop bettas died within a > year or had a disease). > > Either way, good luck and you know where to come for help! > > Angela > > >_________________________________________________________________ Messenger Caf� � open for fun 24/7. Hot games, cool activities served daily. Visit now. http://cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_AugHMtagline
                                    • Diana Heideman
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 9, 2007
                                        I also highly recommend Eryn's bettas, btw--I've seen them for a couple
                                        months now at SVAS, and picked up a nice young pair last week that are
                                        doing quite well.

                                        However, if neither she nor Dolphin work out for you, I also live in San
                                        Jose, and breed bettas. I don't have a whole lot in the way of stock
                                        right now--just a few young adults growing out that are showing mostly
                                        blues (with more red wash than I'd like), but do carry copper, and are
                                        split between doubletail, and singletail delta types (carrying
                                        doubletail--remains to be seen if they're SD or just delta). They're
                                        about 4 months old, the males are JUST starting to really fin out, so
                                        they're not much to look at yet. I'll be setting up a couple more spawns
                                        in the next month or so, so I'll have a lot more to offer come late fall
                                        to early winter. I also have an older male (uncle to my younger spawn)
                                        that's a delta. He has a decent deal of fin damage from spawning, but
                                        is healing up well with no infections, and just needs time to re-grow
                                        the tissue. He's about 11 months old, so nearly grown.

                                        Also, the store where I work--Seascapes, in Mountain view--usually has a
                                        lot of quite nice bettas. The owner goes up and handpicks all our fish,
                                        including bettas, so we get some nice ones in a variety of tail types.
                                        We pretty much always have nice crowntails and (true) super-deltas in,
                                        sometimes really nice doubletails (and of course always the "ordinary"
                                        veils), in a good assortment of colors. We get the very occasional
                                        halfmoon, but that's rare. The fancies aren't inexpensive, ($15 for CT,
                                        $20 for SD) but the selection is much better than the average "big box"
                                        store. I've even taken a couple fish home from work to breed into my
                                        lines, and been pleased with the results.

                                        I'm pretty much always at Silicon Valley Aquarium Society meetings, and
                                        Pacific Coast Cichlid Association meetings, or at work. I'll be sending
                                        a couple of my youngsters to the show in September (probably not for
                                        auction, though) so you can get a look at them and see if you like
                                        anything. I won't be there in person, unfortunately, it's the one
                                        weekend all season I'm out of town.

                                        Good luck finding the perfect betta!

                                        Regards,
                                        Diana
                                      • deep_ocean_of_sorrow
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 9, 2007

                                          hmm...

                                          I went to dolphin pet village yesterday but I didn't find anything I liked. (it was true that they had deltas and crowntails..etc, but most were in red or had some redish orangey-type colors in it, which I didn't want.)

                                          They still had some bettas in bags in the back-- the lady said that she just got them and that they'll get some more in a few hours. I couldn't believe it. The bettas were in bags with VERY VERY LIMITED WATER.  Is this normal??? Is that how you're suppose to ship/handle bettas to move them?? And the water was light blue-ish(is this preserving the water quality or something??). I mean, some fishes were lucky enough to have 2 inches or water.(most of them were a LOT less of water.) When I was looking at the bettas in the bag, they were literally swimming on the plastic bags..and partly my hand. Some had their fins torn and I saw a betta with verticle stripes... I think that meant that the betta was sick?

                                          But don't get me wrong. The bettas that were on display with the actual price and such were in large cups, the bettas in the bags were shipped(?) that way.(I don't know if they ship bettas....and am I making sense?..lol)

                                          Am I being really picky? I just don't want any red colors in the blue/green-type I'm looking for. (I don't mind the white though on the fins like a butterfly.)

                                          And now that everyone's talking about Eryn's bettas... I might consider getting one. ( I just wish I could drive by myself...)

                                          Oh yes,

                                          I asked my mom if I can go to the betta show and she said yes! (Woohoo!) And I'm sort of excited to see the fancy bettas and the auction.
                                          oh and ... I'm not a member in the CBS... does that mean that I can't auction?

                                          sorry for all these questions. and sorry that its reeaallyy long. (lol)

                                          --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, Diana Heideman <dheideman@...> wrote:

                                          > I also highly recommend Eryn's bettas, btw--I've seen them for a couple
                                          > months now at SVAS, and picked up a nice young pair last week that are
                                          > doing quite well.

                                        • Jeremy Bolanos
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 9, 2007
                                            Wholesalers ship them to the LFS in small bags designed to keep them wet and have access to air (which is the minimum for bettas).  The small bags make it easy for them to ship a lot in a small space.  The blue water is an industrial version of bag buddies that oxygenates the water and has an agent that relaxes the fish to reduce stress - it's a good thing.  They don't usually stay long in them - but then the LFS usually switches them to a 1/3 cup container and never changes the water so your best bet is to get them fresh in the bag.

                                            Jeremy

                                            On 8/9/07, deep_ocean_of_sorrow <deep_ocean_of_sorrow@...> wrote:

                                            hmm...

                                            I went to dolphin pet village yesterday but I didn't find anything I liked. (it was true that they had deltas and crowntails..etc, but most were in red or had some redish orangey-type colors in it, which I didn't want.)

                                            They still had some bettas in bags in the back-- the lady said that she just got them and that they'll get some more in a few hours. I couldn't believe it. The bettas were in bags with VERY VERY LIMITED WATER.  Is this normal??? Is that how you're suppose to ship/handle bettas to move them?? And the water was light blue-ish(is this preserving the water quality or something??). I mean, some fishes were lucky enough to have 2 inches or water.(most of them were a LOT less of water.) When I was looking at the bettas in the bag, they were literally swimming on the plastic bags..and partly my hand. Some had their fins torn and I saw a betta with verticle stripes... I think that meant that the betta was sick?

                                            But don't get me wrong. The bettas that were on display with the actual price and such were in large cups, the bettas in the bags were shipped(?) that way.(I don't know if they ship bettas....and am I making sense?..lol)

                                            Am I being really picky? I just don't want any red colors in the blue/green-type I'm looking for. (I don't mind the white though on the fins like a butterfly.)

                                            And now that everyone's talking about Eryn's bettas... I might consider getting one. ( I just wish I could drive by myself...)

                                            Oh yes,

                                            I asked my mom if I can go to the betta show and she said yes! (Woohoo!) And I'm sort of excited to see the fancy bettas and the auction.
                                            oh and ... I'm not a member in the CBS... does that mean that I can't auction?

                                            sorry for all these questions. and sorry that its reeaallyy long. (lol)

                                            --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, Diana Heideman <dheideman@...> wrote:

                                            > I also highly recommend Eryn's bettas, btw--I've seen them for a couple
                                            > months now at SVAS, and picked up a nice young pair last week that are
                                            > doing quite well.

                                          • deep_ocean_of_sorrow
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 9, 2007
                                              Okay, that erases almost half of the things I asked (thank you very
                                              much)

                                              I was kind of worried cause I thought it was something bad or
                                              something..
                                              --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Bolanos"
                                              <jeremybolanos@...> wrote:

                                              > Wholesalers ship them to the LFS in small bags designed to keep them
                                              wet and
                                              > have access to air (which is the minimum for bettas). The small bags
                                              make
                                              > it easy for them to ship a lot in a small space. The blue water is an
                                              > industrial version of bag buddies that oxygenates the water and has an
                                              agent
                                              > that relaxes the fish to reduce stress - it's a good thing. They don't
                                              > usually stay long in them - but then the LFS usually switches them to
                                              a 1/3
                                              > cup container and never changes the water so your best bet is to get
                                              them
                                              > fresh in the bag.
                                              >
                                              > Jeremy
                                              >
                                              > On 8/9/07, deep_ocean_of_sorrow deep_ocean_of_sorrow@... wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > hmm...
                                              > >
                                              > > I went to dolphin pet village yesterday but I didn't find anything I
                                              > > liked. (it was true that they had deltas and crowntails..etc, but
                                              most were
                                              > > in red or had some redish orangey-type colors in it, which I didn't
                                              want.)

                                              > > Am I being really picky? I just don't want any red colors in the
                                              > > blue/green-type I'm looking for. (I don't mind the white though on
                                              the fins
                                              > > like a butterfly.)
                                              > >
                                              > > And now that everyone's talking about Eryn's bettas... I might
                                              consider
                                              > > getting one. ( I just wish I could drive by myself...)
                                              > >
                                              > > Oh yes,
                                              > >
                                              > > I asked my mom if I can go to the betta show and she said yes!
                                              (Woohoo!)
                                              > > And I'm sort of excited to see the fancy bettas and the auction.
                                              > > oh and ... I'm not a member in the CBS... does that mean that I
                                              can't
                                              > > auction?
                                              > >
                                              > > sorry for all these questions. and sorry that its reeaallyy long.
                                              (lol)

                                              > > --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, Diana Heideman dheideman@
                                              > > wrote:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > I also highly recommend Eryn's bettas, btw--I've seen them for a
                                              couple
                                              > > > months now at SVAS, and picked up a nice young pair last week that
                                              are
                                              > > > doing quite well.

                                            • Sam Flory
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 10, 2007
                                                <deep_ocean_of_sorrow@...> wrote:

                                                > They still had some bettas in bags in the back-- the lady said that she
                                                > just got them and that they'll get some more in a few hours. I couldn't
                                                > believe it. The bettas were in bags with VERY VERY LIMITED WATER. Is
                                                > this normal???

                                                Very common for large shipments. Bettas will survive in very little
                                                water. Unlike most fish they breathe air so you actually want a fair
                                                amount of air in the bag.

                                                >Is that how you're suppose to ship/handle bettas to move
                                                > them??

                                                Ideally I'd want as large container as possible, but that is costly....

                                                > And the water was light blue-ish(is this preserving the water
                                                > quality or something??).

                                                I'd guess methyl blue, or the like.

                                                > I mean, some fishes were lucky enough to have 2
                                                > inches or water.(most of them were a LOT less of water.) When I was
                                                > looking at the bettas in the bag, they were literally swimming on the
                                                > plastic bags..and partly my hand. Some had their fins torn and I saw a
                                                > betta with verticle stripes... I think that meant that the betta was
                                                > sick?

                                                The stripes are stress lines. Betta under stress will fade in color
                                                and show bars. Which is why it's hard to tell the true color of any
                                                betta when you buy it.

                                                > But don't get me wrong. The bettas that were on display with the actual
                                                > price and such were in large cups, the bettas in the bags were
                                                > shipped(?) that way.(I don't know if they ship bettas....and am I
                                                > making
                                                > sense?..lol)

                                                The shipper calculates the value of the fish with the likely hood of
                                                death over the cost of packaging. Unless you've worked in a fish
                                                store you wouldn't believe the number of fish that die before they hit
                                                the front of the store. Bettas tend to survive better than most fish
                                                as they are hardy, and kept in their own containers.

                                                > Am I being really picky? I just don't want any red colors in the
                                                > blue/green-type I'm looking for. (I don't mind the white though on the
                                                > fins like a butterfly.)

                                                Yes you're being picky, but a betta lives for 3+ years if well taken
                                                care of. So unless you are planning on having lots of betta you
                                                should be picky.
                                              • Eryn Kline Rosenbaum
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 10, 2007

                                                  If you aren't a member, you can still attend the show and bid on the auction, you just can't SELL fish at the auction. I'll be there with a lot of my blue butterfly and marble SD/HMs up for auction. Hope to see you there! Eryn----Original Message Follows---- From: "deep_ocean_of_sorrow" Reply-To: CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com To: CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com Subject: [CBS] Re:betta breeders in san jose? Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 21:00:46 -0000Okay, that erases almost half of the things I asked (thank you very much)I was kind of worried cause I thought it was something bad or something.. --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Bolanos" wrote:
                                                  > > Wholesalers ship them to the LFS in small bags designed to keep them
                                                  wet and
                                                  > have access to air (which is the minimum for bettas). The small bags
                                                  make
                                                  > it easy for them to ship a lot in a small space. The blue water is an > industrial version of bag buddies that oxygenates the water and has an
                                                  agent
                                                  > that relaxes the fish to reduce stress - it's a good thing. They don't > usually stay long in them - but then the LFS usually switches them to
                                                  a 1/3
                                                  > cup container and never changes the water so your best bet is to get
                                                  them
                                                  > fresh in the bag. > > Jeremy > > On 8/9/07, deep_ocean_of_sorrow deep_ocean_of_sorrow@... wrote: > > > > hmm... > > > > I went to dolphin pet village yesterday but I didn't find anything I > > liked. (it was true that they had deltas and crowntails..etc, but
                                                  most were
                                                  > > in red or had some redish orangey-type colors in it, which I didn't
                                                  want.)
                                                  > > like a butterfly.) > > > > And now that everyone's talking about Eryn's bettas... I might
                                                  consider
                                                  > > getting one. ( I just wish I could drive by myself...) > > > > Oh yes, > > > > I asked my mom if I can go to the betta show and she said yes!
                                                  (Woohoo!)
                                                  > > And I'm sort of excited to see the fancy bettas and the auction. > > oh and ... I'm not a member in the CBS... does that mean that I
                                                  can't
                                                  > > auction? > > > > sorry for all these questions. and sorry that its reeaallyy long.
                                                  (lol)
                                                  > > > months now at SVAS, and picked up a nice young pair last week that
                                                  are
                                                  > > > doing quite well. > > > > > > > > > >
                                                  _________________________________________________________________ Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more�.then map the best route! http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&ss=yp.bars~yp.pizza~yp.movie%20theater&cp=42.358996~-71.056691&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=950607&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01
                                                • Charlie Davis
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Aug 13, 2007
                                                    Hi, I'm catching up on my CBS mail... I have 6 of
                                                    Eryn's females in an 8 gallon with some tetras, lots
                                                    of java moss and some other plants. I have a couple
                                                    of small extra tanks set up just in case I have to
                                                    separate any of them, but they all get along well,
                                                    possibly since they were from the same spawn. They
                                                    flare at each other from time to time, and give half
                                                    hearted chase every now and then, but no real drama.
                                                    They are healthy and lots of fun.

                                                    Charlie

                                                    Luggage? GPS? Comic books?