Re: [CBS] Re: Quality Bettas in Southern California

  • Jeremy Bolanos
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
      I said I wouldn't - everyone is free to wear sunscreen... I mean do what they want.   I just mean I haven't had any dealings with her and offer only my open minded approach.  I have heard people detail their transactions with her including Dan Young (who I know who is).  Since she isn't a member of our group she can't defend herself (should she wish to) and I'd not like to see people put off by such talk.

      Although informative, it can come across somewhat poorly out of context.

      On 3/5/07, Echosaisis@... < Echosaisis@...> wrote:

      Well I would badmouth her because she is not an honest seller. Its impossible to make someone look bad that has never done anything wrong, the bad mouther would end up looking foolish. Unfortunately, even Dan Young has bad mouthed her. She got some of his culls and selling them for $70-$120. Do you know who Dan Young is? Someone with a reputation like his would normally be cautious of bad mouthing anyone, but it just goes to show you that if HE is badmouthing her, there must be something seriously wrong.

      In a message dated 3/5/2007 11:44:16 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, jeremybolanos@gmail.com writes:

      I wouldn't bad mouth any betta keeper - but would love to see an L.A. club start up again.  I can't imagine there isn't enough interest - but it is a huge area down there.  We may be spread out up north, but at least we have some way of telling when the cities change.  I still remember back when it was long distance to call across the street in some places in los angeles - LOL.

      I can definitely understand water condition changes - but if you are going to sell your fish you shouldn't pamper them to the point of being incapable of being maintained by others.  You can isolate your fish too much.

      On 3/5/07, Larissa <alatri@...> wrote:

      Hi Michael,

      Good to hear from you -- are you still doing the pigment research? I
      was just poking through archive records and came across your talk you
      did for us. ^^

      Smiles,
      -- Larissa

      --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com , "Michael Pratt" <mpratt@...>

    • Echosaisis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
        What (or who) exactly is although informative, coming across poorly?

        wrote:

        > Is Faith still active? Here website is up and she does tend to have nice
        > fish...
        >
        > http://www.bettatal k.com/stock_ for_sale. htm
        >
        > There are other folks in the LA Area but they do tend to keep to
        > themselves.. .
        > I'm in San Diego still but I only keep a few fish each season.
        >
        > MIchael Pratt

      • Jeremy Bolanos
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
          As in if someone doesn't have a background to lay context to the conversation it can come across as speaking poorly against someone and some people can be offended by that.

          The only context I have for her is from conversations with other people and the animal planet interview that was conducted in her fish room.  Otherwise, any opinion I give not related to my personal experience would be at best suspect due to 2nd hand knowledge.

          This being said, anyone on the list who might read our comments who don't have the background information might see it differently than someone who has had experience or had conversations with those who have had experience with her.  Short snippets of conversation are easily taken out of context (considering there is no context).

          I simply would like to caution people that libel is one of the leading reasons people go to court from online conversations.  You do not need to be a member of this group to read its postings and as such are google searchable.

          wrote:

          > Is Faith still active? Here website is up and she does tend to have nice
          > fish...
          >
          > http://www.bettatalk.com/stock_for_sale.htm
          >
          > There are other folks in the LA Area but they do tend to keep to
          > themselves...
          > I'm in San Diego still but I only keep a few fish each season.
          >
          > MIchael Pratt

        • Larissa
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
            "Politics" like this is exactly the reason I don't actively
            participate in any betta club nowadays despite my love for
            the fish. And why I generally stay off the list too.
            For pity's sake, can't politeness be the rule? o.o

            Warning somebody that some people have had problems with
            dealings with a seller is perfectly valid and true enough.
            (I agree with Jeremy about not selling if they're pampered
            - Bonnie used to have similar problems too.) However, to
            make outright dissing statements and even drag other people's
            names into it is just... not being nice. There is a difference.
            If you can't see it, oh well.

            -- Larissa

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
              You're right, I cant see it.

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                Unfortunately, life is political. All groups have something going on, I'm sorry if you feel uncomfortable joining clubs - go with the expectation of getting what you want and shrugging off the rest.  Trust me, members can shrug off more than officers.  LOL  So long as you can avoid being an officer you should have fun.  With CBS its most usually about making the most comfortable as possible.

                Jeremy

              • Carol Noble
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                  Sadly enough this could and does sound like sour grapes. I have had
                  dealings with Faith and do know of those who have had dealings with her.
                  I don't buy from her but then I am not in bettas heavily anymore. Watch
                  what you say as this can be taken badly and reflect on the club.
                  Carol Noble

                  Echosaisis@... wrote:

> [...]
                  >
                  > Hi Michael,
                  >
                  > Good to hear from you -- are you still doing the
                  > pigment research? I
                  > was just poking through archive records and came
                  > across your talk you
                  > did for us. ^^
                  >
                  > Smiles,
                  > -- Larissa
                  >
                  > --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:CaliforniaBettas%40yahoogroups.com>, "Michael
                  > Pratt" <mpratt@...>
                  >

                  > wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Is Faith still active? Here website is up and she
                  > does tend to have nice
                  >> fish...
                  >>
                  >> http://www.bettatalk.com/stock_for_sale.htm
                  > <http://www.bettatalk.com/stock_for_sale.htm>
                  >>
                  >> There are other folks in the LA Area but they do tend
                  > to keep to
                  >> themselves...
                  >> I'm in San Diego still but I only keep a few fish

                • Carol Noble
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                    Well said Jeremy.
                    Carol Noble

                    Jeremy Bolanos wrote:

                    > As in if someone doesn't have a background to lay context to the
                    > conversation it can come across as speaking poorly against someone and
                    > some people can be offended by that.
                    >
                    > The only context I have for her is from conversations with other
                    > people and the animal planet interview that was conducted in her fish
                    > room. Otherwise, any opinion I give not related to my personal
                    > experience would be at best suspect due to 2nd hand knowledge.
                    >
                    > This being said, anyone on the list who might read our comments who
                    > don't have the background information might see it differently than
                    > someone who has had experience or had conversations with those who
                    > have had experience with her. Short snippets of conversation are
                    > easily taken out of context (considering there is no context).
                    >
                    > I simply would like to caution people that libel is one of the leading
                    > reasons people go to court from online conversations. You do not need
                    > to be a member of this group to read its postings and as such are
                    > google searchable.

                  • DJL
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                      Well sadly what I have said is the truth. I don't want to start
                      debates or bad mouth anyone but I am just going by the things I have
                      heard. If she doesn't like it, oh well. She knows its the truth.
                      so...enough said.

                      --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Bolanos"

                      CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com<CaliforniaBettas%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > > Echosaisis@ wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > What (or who) exactly is although informative, coming across poorly?
                      > > >

                      > > > In a message dated 3/5/2007 1:29:51 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                      > > > jeremybolanos@ writes:
                      > > >

                      > > > I said I wouldn't - everyone is free to wear sunscreen... I mean do
                      > > what
                      > > > they want. I just mean I haven't had any dealings with her and
                      > > offer only my
                      > > > open minded approach. I have heard people detail their
                      > > transactions with her
                      > > > including Dan Young (who I know who is). Since she isn't a member
                      > > of our
                      > > > group she can't defend herself (should she wish to) and I'd not
                      > > like to see
                      > > > people put off by such talk.
                      > > >
                      > > > Although informative, it can come across somewhat poorly out of
                      > > context.
                      > > >
                      > > > On 3/5/07, _Echosaisis@_ (mailto:Echosaisis@) <
                      > > > _Echosaisis@_ (mailto:Echosaisis@) > wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > Well I would badmouth her because she is not an honest seller. Its
                      > > > impossible to make someone look bad that has never done anything
                      > > wrong, the bad
                      > > > mouther would end up looking foolish. Unfortunately, even Dan Young
                      > > has bad mouthed
                      > > > her. She got some of his culls and selling them for $70-$120. Do
                      > > you know
                      > > > who Dan Young is? Someone with a reputation like his would
                      normally be
                      > > > cautious of bad mouthing anyone, but it just goes to show you that
                      > > if HE is
                      > > > badmouthing her, there must be something seriously wrong.
                      > > >

                      > > > In a message dated 3/5/2007 11:44:16 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                      > > > jeremybolanos@_gmail.com_ (http://gmail.com/) writes:
                      > > >

                      > > > I wouldn't bad mouth any betta keeper - but would love to see an
                      > > L.A. club
                      > > > start up again. I can't imagine there isn't enough interest - but
                      > > it is a
                      > > > huge area down there. We may be spread out up north, but at least
                      > > we have some
                      > > > way of telling when the cities change. I still remember back when
                      > > it was
                      > > > long distance to call across the street in some places in los
                      > > angeles - LOL.
                      > > >
                      > > > I can definitely understand water condition changes - but if you
                      > > are going
                      > > > to sell your fish you shouldn't pamper them to the point of being
                      > > incapable of
                      > > > being maintained by others. You can isolate your fish too much.
                      > > >

                      > > ------------------------------
                      > > AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free
                      > > from AOL at
                      *AOL.com*<http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/1615326657x4311227241x4298082137/aol?redir=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eaol%2Ecom>.

                    • Michael Pratt
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 7, 2007
                        Hi Larissa,

                        The pigment research is on hold for a year or two. I've had to focus on drug delivery technology and pharmaceuticals for a while to advance my career. Most of the fish farm and research equipment is in storage and I only run a few fish at a time.

                        The good news is that the technology to control traits in animals has advanced quite a bit in the last few years. You can get genes in and out of cells quite easily.  Eventually, I'd like to get back to it  and get the glow in the dark betta made, not to mention the transgenic black...anybody got $100,000 for fish color research out there??? Actually make that about half a million to get it done. Cheers everybody.

                        Michael Pratt

                        wrote:

                        > Is Faith still active? Here website is up and she does tend to have nice
                        > fish...
                        >
                        > http://www.bettatal k.com/stock_ for_sale. htm
                        >
                        > There are other folks in the LA Area but they do tend to keep to
                        > themselves.. .
                        > I'm in San Diego still but I only keep a few fish each season.
                        >
                        > MIchael Pratt

                      • Michael Pratt
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 7, 2007
                          I was just trying to tell someone that Faith exists in LA and look at all this diatribe it caused. What a waste. BTW- Dan Youngs culls are probably worth $70, but whatever. It's just too bad that political discussions like this are why we don't have a club in LA and why Bonnie McKinley stopped breeding and is pretty much why I only do research and don't sell any more.

                          Michael Pratt